1986 VFR RestoMod out of parts

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Captain 80s, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    All of my bikes have a parallel toggle switch to prime or get me home. It was kinda weird, I was about to start pulling the tail section, but then it started pumping. I'll swap out this pump before next spring.

2. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Your going to need to get a bigger crate when you add this one to the list of bikes you need to ship up to me.

3. lsc86

lsc86 New Member

United States
    Map
    trying to think of the proper way to phrase the question, but I'm curious if the chassis upgrades, like you've done here, make this '86 era bike a better version of an '86 era bike or a less optimal '94 era bike?

Not questioning the efforts at all, I've just never ridden an '80s sport bike that had updated suspension on it (not just period correct aftermarket, but actually years newer/better stuff installed). I have fond memories of blitzing corners on '80s VFs and VFRs, dogs dangles back then & couldn't have been much better at that time. Yes newer/better bikes came along that I enjoyed immensely, just trying to gauge the experience through your creations on an '80s bike with these kind of upgrades.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Typically the first thing that gets dumbed down for cost savings on production bikes is suspension. And the wheels and tires from that era were just on the cusp of getting better. So my approach has been to build something that is perhaps "what if" the bike was built as intended, before the accountants got involved, but using slightly more modern equipment to accomplish that and maintain the spirit of that era. I love that my bikes look like Honda could have done it. Nothing too much out of place.

Don't get me wrong, I love resto-mods with forged wheels, upside down forks and radial mounted brakes. If I was doing one bike, I might go that route. But I'm building multiple bikes. This allows a decent budget, good availability of used parts, and a style of end product that I really like.

I'm building a better 86 bike, the one that makes you think, "Why couldn't they have done that?". Or, "Why didn't we get that one in the U.S.?" Would I rather ride this bike or a 1994 CBR600F2? No contest. Of course I can always buy a 1994 VFR (which I do want and am currently looking for the right one), but these bikes (and my 1000s) truly respond great to this level of modification. And it's something that you usually can't just buy.

5. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Smiles to the mile Captain......

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    She came out of Winter hibernation for a birthday ride yesterday.

20210326_191008[1].jpg
    New battery, new starter solenoid wire harness plug, new fuel pump (pretty sure the original was weeping out the vent). Installed a overflow drain on the coolant reservoir. It is not the original tank (smaller unit out of a Elite 150 scooter), and last fall it overfilled for the first time. I'm sure it had more to do with the rad cap, which has now also been replaced. Temps were much more consistent yesterday afternoon.

After riding the modded VF1000R thru the winter, this thing feels like a toy. Handles SO good.

7. shields17

shields17 New Member

United Kingdom
    Hadn't seen this one before... great thread and a very nice bike!!!

8. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    THIS...is what I am looking for. VFR700 / 750. Keeping my eyes open for a project. Really sweet bike there Cap'n!

Captain 80s likes this.
  9. lsc86

lsc86 New Member

United States
    Map
    Happy belated Captain....think we discovered a mutual bd a while back....hit the half century mark this year myself!

Definitely a cool bike project there, sure has to get looks from anyone that half knows anything about vintage Hondas.

10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Thanks! Right back at ya, old man!

It certainly confuses some people and other people just say cool VFR without really knowing it didn't come that way.

11. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Beautiful !

12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    New Muffler for the RC26.

20210422_111728.jpg 20210422_111747.jpg 20210422_111757.jpg

The old Sudco muffler was a "Non-Rebuildable" race can. Welded seam on the bottom and no rivets. While it still sounded good and wasn't obnoxious, it is time for a change. The last couple weeks I have been running a rebuildable Sudco I had, but that is going to end up on the CB-1 likely. So this tasty unit was ordered. It arrived surprisingly fast from Asia, like 10 days I think. I'm anxious to hear it. I did run the D&D muffler off of the Hawk GT for a day... loud. Sounds better on the Hawk.

13. Hellapet

Hellapet New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, sounds amazing on the overrun.

14. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    It’s a work of art and sounds amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The Hawk is still in the "Mod" phase. Just need to finish retrofitting the cartridge internals to the CB-1 Fork tubes and bleed the front brakes. A few test rides and then it gets completely torn down for the "Resto" phase.

16. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Finally installed the new muffler. My spring mounts on the connecting pipe were a little close for the springs that came with it, so I ordered some shorter swivel springs and heat shrinked them. Sounds really good, but not far off from the Sudco.
    20210430_171657.jpg

She's filthy tho after a few good rides.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    straycat, Tom Smithhisler and Thumbs like this.
  17. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Looks great !!

18. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Because of how it slip fits into the forward machined collar, it's a little farther back than I would like. But it is pretty much the same as the first Sudco muffler, and I was OK with that (which I also thought was too far back). This bike needs the longer muffler or it is just a bit too nasty. The design of the 4-2-1 back section also terminates pretty far back to begin with.

The second Sudco I put on was much better how it slip fit (and still a long muffler), but it has to go on the CB-1.

Can't imagine saying I'm not happy with it.

19. Deckard84

Deckard84 New Member

Denmark
    Awesome sound on that thing! Sounds better (deeper) than my Hindle/RRR system :)

20. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Are you talking about the Hawk GT? Guess I should take a vid with the new RC26 muffler too.