1986 VFR700F Switch Assy Restore/Replacement help

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Chad Royer, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Chad Royer

Chad Royer New Member

United States
    Hello,
    I own a fairly clean 86 VFR700 and I'm looking to replace both of my handlebar switch assemblies. I have had no luck finding used ones that are in any better shape than my current ones. Does anyone know where I might find a pair? Or if their are any compatible ones from other modes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Somebody will chime in with what has worked the best.... I have tried multiple applications of Mother's Back to Black or Meguire's Ultimate Black, but from what I hear, WipeNew is one of the best... caveat, I have not tried it.

schrocketeer likes this.
  3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    If you're not worried about being original, the best thing to do is adapt some newer switch assemblies that you can find used in good shape. Mid 90's VFR and CBR are really good donors for compatibility and can be found in decent shape. I've done it on about 6 or 7 bikes now, including a 1986 VFR700FII. It is not just plug and play, but it is usually just a matter of removing the connectors from the plug and changing the configuration to match the VFR harness side. There are plastic restorers that are good, but the plastic on these switches is so porous, the result is usually just adequate. I have also completely disassembled the 86 VFR switches and painted the housings. This was YEARS ago before the paints designed for plastic were available, but I was able to achieve something decent and better looking than the super white faded plastic. Krylon Fusion matte finish would probably produce something good, but you're not gonna have any markings.

I've also started switching over to individual throttle housing and start switch from other Honda models. They are very plentiful, with a much better start button design. Still Honda, but a little racier looking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

schrocketeer likes this.
  4. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    schrocketeer likes this.
  5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Oh yeah... I remember you talking about this stuff now. Gonna have to try and source some for those housings I want to keep stock. I've found that regardless of looks, I will swap out the early VF/VFR start switch assy due to the start button design being a ticking time bomb. Plus that's the easy side to retrofit as well.

6. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, the early starter buttons are a bit iffy for sure. Ive had a couple fail

7. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
  8. Chad Royer

Chad Royer New Member

United States
    Thank you for this information! I'll try and get my hands on some of that. Thanks everyone for responding. Im def pointed in a better direction than I was.

9. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    I'm willing to guinea pig. Will have some here on Wednesday, so I'll let you know next weekend.

schrocketeer and Thumbs like this.
  10. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Matt! I have a tab open waiting to order some. I think I will wait and see what you find out.

I have several older cars I would like to try this product on. Looks like it is good on weather stripping also.

11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    PR8-Website-Main_920x.jpg

This stuff is pure magic, except surprisingly, on switch assemblies. I think they are too porous. It gets amazing reviews and absolutely transformed my ST1100 that, despite low mileage, spent some time parked in the sun. The plastic is not greasy or slimy after application and it doesn't wash off. It's a true restorer.

So not really a great endorsement in the context of this conversation, but worth having in your arsenal.

Looking forward to some more reviews of other products!

schrocketeer and straycat like this.
  12. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    I have used this product on black plastic on other vehicles I have owned. Works really great for about 2-3 months them disappears. It is good if you about sell a car. I just tried it on my switch pod and it did OK. Captain is right, the plastic seems to be very porous. Not sure if this stuff is the ANSWER but it did OK.
    IMG_0098.JPG

End result.....

IMG_0099.JPG

13. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    I've got a feeling this SONAX is going to be pretty similar to the Meguire's. That being said, it's not advertised as a plastic restoration product, but it definitely looks nice at first glance. I don't think it has any staying power on the really smooth plastic of the chain guard or rear fender--it leaves a bit of a film that I can wash away by leaving Simple Green on it and scrubbing. But with the porous controls, I think it may actually work as a pretty good bandaid. As you can see, the control I applied it to couldn't really get any worse.

leftControl.jpg

chainguard.jpg

2021-02-13 19.31.35.jpg

**Edit -- just want to point out that pictures are doing this a little more justice than reality. In my case where we just wanted to bring it from repulsive to presentable, it looks to be a good answer. But it's not a solution to a "restoration".

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Jim McCulloch likes this.
  14. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Not bad. Thanks for reviewing. It does appear to be doing a similar job to the Maguiers product. Good for porous plastic.

Do me a favor and try it on weatherstripping on your car(s). That is what the product seemed to be marketed towards.

I have a 1998 Honda Prelude and wanted to see if it would bring back some suppleness to the old rubber.

BTW, I ended up just painting my chain guard with black plastic trim paint. Still looks great after 9 months.

15. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    btw I just went and looked at the bike again several hours later--the chain guard now looks exactly like when I started. So I'm guessing the controls will go back that way too.

2021-02-13 20.17.34.jpg

16. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh well, thanks for trying. I just took a picture of my pod with the Maguiars treatment. It has been a couple weeks and it is still "kind of black"

Maybe either product needs a second treatment?

IMG_0100.JPG

17. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    You mean the weatherstripping that ripped right off the door when I opened my F150 yesterday because it's like -5°F? The same F150 that apparently got a frozen/failed thermostat on my way home from work, so I was balancing an overheating engine with not being able to feel my fingers because the cabin heater was pumping arctic air? :Frusty:

This stuff absolutely feels like it will bring back some suppleness to the rubber, and I've got a ton of stuff I want to try it on, so I'm glad I bought it.

I remember you mentioning the paint for the plastic--I'm planning to get some of that this summer to trim pieces. For my chain guard though, I was actually able to get it looking pretty darn decent with a heat gun. I know you run the risk of making the plastic super brittle if you go overboard, but I did the same on one of the radiator guards as a test earlier today. It looked just like the sun-torn chain guard above beforehand. Looks pretty good now.

2021-02-13 20.18.32.jpg

**Edit--Oh shoot. I thought I was on BitchAboutTheWeatherAndFordWorld.com. Wrong discussion, my bad.

18. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, sorry about the weather! We are about to get destroyed by cold here in Houston Monday.

I tried that heat gun procedure on the black bumper of my 83 Civic, It seemed like miracle at first but unfortunately it just returned back to faded black after a month or 2. Hope you have better luck.

Colddevil likes this.
  19. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Based on this suggestion, I actually did about 8 treatments over the course of the last month. Smear some on, wipe it away 10 minutes later. Do it again another day. Considering where it started (white), this is actually pretty impressive. I'll try updating this at the end of the year after it gets some sun and weather to say whether or not it has staying power. But my original conclusion of "Doesn't Work" wasn't necessarily correct.

leftControl.JPG

chuntera and Jim McCulloch like this.
  20. Tom Smithhisler

Tom Smithhisler Insider

United States
    Map
    Hey folks, any new miracle potions come along sense 2021???