1987 VFR700 fuel pump leaking? - from the pump, not the lines

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by samsfzr, Feb 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. samsfzr

samsfzr New Member

Ok hopefully I'm just being an idiot here...

It seems that the fuel pump on my bike has sprung a leak. This is not from the lines, it seems to be from the pump itself. The fuel is coming out of the squarish black plastic piece on the side. Here's a picture, sorry it's really small, it came from a google search. I can get an actual pic later:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj309/samsfzr/vfrfuelpump.jpg

A couple months ago I drained the carbs for the winter, and had the tank off to seal it. I just put the tank back on, and this is the first time I had fired it up since draining the carbs, and I saw the fuel leaking. It's coming out at a pretty good rate, definitely not just dripping.

I don't think this is relevant, but I also have fuel pouring out of the carb area. I'm rather certain I have a float that is stuck in the down position from sitting, and the fuel is coming out of an overflow.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I can't imagine fuel leaking out of a pump, they don't have a weep hole as far as I know, but it definitely seems to be the case.

Any thoughts?

2. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Any chance it's fuel leaking from the carbs running down and dripping off there? I had a stuck float in a carb and definitely found fuel dripping off all kinds of parts.

3. samsfzr

samsfzr New Member

I don't think so. I originally assumed the leak was coming from the lines where they go into the pump, so I examined them carefully and that's wasn't the case. If fuel was running down the line from the carbs I should have noticed it then.

Thanks for the suggestion though, and I'll definitely 2x check next time I work on it to make sure that's not the problem.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I had an 84 750 pump leak on me after the pump had been sitting for a long time ( 15+ years) right from the seam of the 2 halves. The next one I tried (sitting just as long).... Perfect.

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    It could be working it's way past the diaphragm. the good news is that pump is still available from Honda. I have one fitted on my CB-1.

6. samsfzr

samsfzr New Member

Do you know if there's somewhere online I could purchase a pump? BikeBandit doesn't list one in their OEM section.

I expect it will be rather expensive, I may well end up picking up a used (hopefully non-leaking) one, since I'm just trying to get the bike working well so I can find it a new owner.

7. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Yeah, it's not cheap. 128 bucks from servicehonda.com (I've used them before with good results) It's listed under "side cover"

Any similar style pump from same era bikes will probably work, Yamaha, Kawasaki etc.. You just maybe adapting the lines to different port sizes on the pump. If you got that route I would at least try and match the displacement pretty close. Wouldn't use a pump off a 250 for example.

8. samsfzr

samsfzr New Member

Ok cool, thanks for the info!

9. flash50080

flash50080 New Member

United States
    Map
    i have had the same problem on my 86 vfr700 its the oring that seals the two halfs together. i used jb weld to to seal it so i could get the bike running and it lasted 4 months before the gas eat through it. its no good for long term but to get it running and get rid of its all good just make sure you tell the new owner so they can get a good new pump

10. flash50080

flash50080 New Member

United States
    Map
    note the wet spot under my bike in the pic yours probubly looks the same. and for the carb leak make sure you get new o rings on the pipes between the carbs took me a bit to get that problem all sorted out on my bike.

11. samsfzr

samsfzr New Member

Cool, thanks for the info!

12. samsfzr

samsfzr New Member

Please ignore this post - for eBay seller ****969