1990 VFR750 Power cut out and bike wouldn't start

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Matt Sampson, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Matt Sampson

Matt Sampson New Member

Canada
    This morning on my way to work, as I pulling away from a stop light after getting off the highway, I noticed a lack of power and throttle response. I continued down the road when the bike lost all response. I turned the key off and pulled her into a nice parking spot. The bike never made any bad sounds like it was out of fuel or oil, just lost throttle response and would not start. So I did some rough tests (and I mean rough).

The first thing I checked was the oil level in the engine. I had not realized that the bike was supposed to be level, so I checked it with the side stand down. It was bone dry. Being 5 mins away from work, I called a cab and went on my way. On my lunch break me and my boss went out to try to remedy it thinking it was out of oil. We drive down and pour a quart of 10w40 into the fill-cap, which brings the level up to about half on the dipstick (still on the sidestand mind you). After doing so, the bike fired right up.

When I got off work, I went out and bought another quart and dumped half in, bringing the level close to full (much more than full). When I arrived home, I did some reading and realized my mistakes. I drained the excess oil and filled a quart and what I would estimate is a half. I am hesitant to say that it was the oil that did me in, I removed just as much as I added so it would seem to me the oil was at a fine level at the time of the event.

I am curious to know if anyone has any ideas as to what caused my issues this morning. The low oil pressure light never came on, but I am not sure if that still could have caused the issue. I was also reading that it could have been the fuel pump, but then it would be strange for the bike to behave so normally in the afternoon. It could have been something electrical related but I don't know how it could have resolved itself in the 5 hours it was sitting in a parking lot.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Next "test" ride, after a bit stop and pop the gas cap and see if you feel/hear a rush of air. Perhaps your cap is not venting properly any more, which can starve the fuel system. Then after sitting it has enough time to normalize.

Just shootin from the hip...

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    maybe try bypassing the fuel pump relay, a common failure item.