1994 RVF400R Build Project

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NorcalBoy, Nov 7, 2018.

1. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Been working off and on to finish up the fine details.

My machinist, Rob, has completed the spacers for the RR and milled the new brackets and spacer for the rads. Going out Monday or Tuesday. I ordered up all the required new hardware from ProBolt, but haven't received a shipping notification yet. Rob is going to be working on getting the eccentric machined starting this week. Should be hearing something soon on that.

Before the radiators can be permanently mounted, the electrical connections have to be finished up, as the main connector bundle lives behind the top rad, so I got to work on that.

Needed to install the sidestand, due to the safety switch wiring. I had the sidestand and mount powdercoated previously, so I went about assembling everything with ProBolt DLC coated stainless bolts, ti bolts and washers, and the necessary special bolts and spring from Honda.

[​IMG]

Installed the ti shift rod and the left and right hand threaded ti lock nuts. Finished it up and got it torqued to spec

[​IMG]

Finished up the sidestand wire routing

[​IMG]

Next up was the choke and throttle cables. The RVF choke cable is no longer available from Honda, but Rick Oliver in the UK sent me a new OEM choke cable for a CBR250RR that he said would be just fine. I got that installed, it's a touch longer than the RVF part, that ended up being a good thing, as the OEM piece is a little tight in my opinion. It has the same "throw" as the RVF piece, so good all the way around I covered the cable with Heatshield Products high temp sleeve and routed it under the carbs, making absolutely sure it didn't to block access to the air screws. Worked out good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was throttle cables...little did I know what a complete joy that would end up being, I had suspected they would be a little bit of a pain, but I didn't have them in hand when I installed the carb set, otherwise I would have put them on first. It took a lot of patience, but they finally cooperated. They are Venhill Featherlight cables, also from Mr. Oliver

[​IMG]

Got everything tidied up and got the OEM throttle assembly completed, with a new OEM throttle tube. Got the free play adjusted to 4 mm, right down the middle of the 2-6 mm adjustment range. The action is very smooth, so that was a bonus, no dicking around with why the throttle wouldn't return, etc.

Finalized the airbox assembly and got all of the switchgear routed and connected, got the horn and the sidestand switch hooked up, and hung them off the triples for now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finalized the routing behind the rad and got the harness placing completed....didn't want it sitting on my nice new cerakote :Bounce:

[​IMG]

Took yesterday off from doing anything project related, it's been 12-15 hours a day since the first week of March, and I really needed to take a break from it. Spent the day chilling out with Chicky in Prescott, AZ. Got to see her new 5g, have a great lunch, and talk VFR's. Super cool lady. It was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Refreshed, got back to it this morning. Needed to finalize the HRC res mounting and rear brake line routing, so that all I needed to do was assemble the eccentric, rear caliper carrier, and bleed the brakes. Recieved the new rivet master link for the chain, so that is all ready as well.

The HRC kit, found the whole thing on ebay for $10, brand new...would have never paid the Honda full asking price for just the hose, clip, and clamp. It is a lot cleaner setup than the OEM mess

[​IMG]

Picked the spot to place it, did a little massaging on the fender for the hose and bolted it up with ti hardware I had hanging around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When it comes time to fill the system and bleed it, I'll just release it from the mount so that the hose is standing on end, making it easier to add the fluid, once it's bled, I'll top it off, cap it, and mount it permanently.

Set about getting the rear master, brake line, and pressure switch finalized. Want to be 100% ready when the eccentric comes back. Got everything roughed in, got the brake line torqued, and the switch wiring routing done and connected it up

[​IMG]

Once I had everything finalized, I safety wired the clip for the master cylinder rod, attached the heel guard with ti DLC coated bolts and torqued things to spec

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the bleeding process is completed, I will slip some Heatshield Products sleeve over the brake res hose to keep the heat from the exhaust off of it, while still allowing an easy check of the fluid level

[​IMG]

Not really much left to do, it's just a matter of when the bits arrive to finish it off....the forks, bodywork, and seat are still outstanding.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Blackslide and KarlR like this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut New Member

United States
    An Oetiker clamp, heat-shrink clamp, single-ear clamp, or even safety wire would look better than the hose clamp you’re using on your reservoir hose. ;)

I love the high-end, detail-oriented nature of this build. Should be one of the nicest in the world.

squirrelman likes this.
  3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    'one of,' no , bunky, this is IT :band:

ducnut likes this.
  4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Well, I guess I've done OK, if the Samco hose clamp is the only thing you don't care for :Noidea: Thanks for checking it out and commenting, much appreciated.

ducnut likes this.
  5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Thanks, S-Man, but there are some really nice examples floating around. I prefer to think of it as a rescue and keeping the breed strong.

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    You know Norca, I have to agree about that clamp. With everything you have done on this build being so excellent that did pop out at me too. lol

7. KarlR

KarlR New Member

United States
    Map
    Norcal, it is looking great. Usually just look using my cell phone, but this weekend I used the laptop and I could see a whole new level of detail. All I can say is WOW!
    Glad you got to take some time to ride instead of work. You deserve it.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Ya can't please all the people all the time ;)

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

As always, thanks for your support and generous words, Karl. I appreciate that you take the time to view the thread.

I didn't get to ride, but I did get a break from the garage for a day, hahahahahaha. I will have a little time away from it this week, as I'm completely caught up and I have checked every box on the completion spreadsheet that I have the parts for. What was once a 20+ page document has now been shrunk down to 3 pages. The only things I haven't ordered are the mirrors, and I will take care of that this week.

I took the time to load up the debris field of packing materials, old parts I wasn't saving, and other garbage that had accumulated since the beginning this journey and hauled it all away to the landfill this morning. It was getting pretty claustrophobic and I was really tired of walking around all of it. Out it went.

My upholstery man, Pancho, rang me up this morning and said the seat was done. went and picked it up. As always, he did a great job.

New foam, gel insert, black, commercial grade, alacantra cover

[​IMG]

One more thing off the list. Probably should clean off my desk a little, lol.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

After a week of treading water, things got a little bit more back on track the last couple days. I had my machinist buddy working on solving a few issues I had documented earlier with the radiator mounting and the billet eccentric.

Thursday I received all of the hardware for the new brackets and spacers to get the rads and the RR mounted and the DLC coated stainless bolts for the rearsets.

[​IMG]

Because I hadn't lifted a wrench in days and was frustrated by the lack of progress and waiting, I swapped out the rearset bolts and got them torqued up right, just to feel like I was moving forward again

[​IMG]

Yesterday, I got the word that the brackets had been milled and the spacers were spun up and they would be going out. My buddy works at a reproduction auto parts plant in the maintenance department, so he has to use the machine tools whenever they aren't being used for something at the plant, and lately they have been really busy. He managed to squeeze me in.

[​IMG]

These thin parts are hard to mill, due to them being tough to clamp for the process. Told him not to worry about the finish so much, and that I would have my polishing guru clean them up here.

Got a message this morning, that he got back into the plant at 0200 last night and was able to sneak in the eccentric machining during between shift downtime. He had mentioned that their schedule might not allow him an opportunity to get started for at least a few days...he took it upon himself to get up in the middle of the night and finish it for me. He didn't tell me he was going to do this.... You don't find people like this guy every day.

He was able to chuck the hub up in a 4 jaw chuck and get it centered to within .02 mm of runout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Machining this piece is awkward, due it being eccentric, the surface requiring machining is surrounded by other offset surfaces, the clearance on the short side of the adjustment ring is almost zero to the axle carrier, all while the clamping surface is spinning on an axis, offset to the machined surface.

It was really tight, as it had to go right down to the flange carrying the bearing and the seal. He really did a great job with it and it turned out perfect. 1.75 mm was removed from the castellated ring to provide the necessary clearance for the sprocket bolts, while not getting into the offset hub flange. Rob is a sharp cat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The man is a master craftsman, even put it on the precision measuring table and double checked everything against the OEM eccentric, before and after. This guy does not mess around. He also happens to be a serial custom moto builder in his spare time, so he understands exactly what I'm talking about. This makes it easy, as all of our communication is via text, or over the phone. He just plain gets it and his attention to detail is impeccable.

[​IMG]

He then proceeded to mill the caliper hanging bracket, it was just a touch too small and didn't fit exactly as it should on the eccentric, too tight. It would have been binding just a little too much when the swingarm went through the suspension stroke.

[​IMG]

Fixt, all is good in eccentric land.......I hope, lol.

[​IMG]

He packed it all back in the box and got it shipped out this morning, for delivery Monday. It's hard to do these projects without "special agent" assistance when things don't go exactly as expected, or an "out of the ordinary" task needs to be accomplished. When you start dealing with prototype parts, non standard materials, and hand built components, things always seem to require a little bit of "fitting" to get them exactly right. But when you, and your special agents, do get them right, it does make you feel pretty decent. My fingers are crossed that I have a huge smile on my face when I test fit the hub upon it's arrival. Goodness knows a lot of discussion and thought went into getting it right, don't want that to go to waste and have to start over.

I'm starting to feel like I'm getting close. Got a call from Tige at FastBike Industries on Friday morning and he let me know that the forks were disassembled and the parts that were getting coated had arrived at the specialty coating provider in SoCal. I'm waiting for a coating recommendation from his coating special agent. I wanted something that improved the durability of the material, while also providing the right look. It's tough to hit that balance, as hardcoat anodizing leaves a matte finish that can appear mottled, or blotchy, and it's also very susceptible to scratching. I had looked at Kashima coating, but I didn't want gold, and it's economically unsuitable for my needs. We are counting on his guy to recommend a coating that eliminates these downsides, but also looks good. Also doing the axle carriers, and they too have their own special considerations, so I will be getting a recommendation on those too. Should all be sorted by Monday afternoon.

Once the coating is done, they will hand fabricate the new cartridges, replace all the consumable parts, set the valving to my needs, match the springs, and get them assembled and shipped out.

Painter was applying graphics for clear coating last Monday, so the bodywork should be wrapped up shortly. I'm just staying out of the way and leaving him alone to work his magic. You can't rush perfection.

Hoping to have some solid updates Monday or Tuesday. It's time to get busy again.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Blackslide, reg71 and KarlR like this.
  11. KarlR

KarlR New Member

United States
    Map
    The eccentric is truly a thing of beauty. Your machinist is very talented. My late uncle was a tool and die maker for GM, and would occasionally make things for my brother and me. Good person to have on your team.

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yeah, my buddy Rob takes care of fixing all of my bullshit problems. It's actually cheaper and quicker for me to send the stuff all the way to Maine, than to have it done locally, and I know he isn't going to take a difficult situation and turn it into a full blown disaster. Shoot him a quick text on the issue, text him a couple quick pics or do up a quick sketch, knows immediately what I'm talking about, gets it done pronto. Hard to find people like that these days.

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

After a week of sitting on my hands, was able to get back at it.

As I documented earlier the radiators had some clearance and mounting issues that had to be corrected. I did up the drawings and texted them to my guy and he made up the new brackets and spacers. Figured I would test out my measurements on the top rad.

Roughed it all in and it fit perfectly. The radiator was no longer interfering with the valve cover and the mounting was corrected, just had to move 3.5 mm to the left, and 6 mm out at the bottom. Used 1/8" aluminum and all ti bolts and fastening hardware. I made sure to get a nice clear shot of the Samco hose clamp :ass:The tabs are much further away than they appear in the shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I checked out the new spacers for the RR

Mui Bueno. Now I have the full range of adjustment to move it to clear the rear cowl and it clears the exhaust mount much better...that's kinda hard to see in the pic, as it looks like it's right on top of it, but it actually has plenty of clearance. Aluminum spacers and ti hardware did the trick.

[​IMG]

Was still fighting with the hub, even after machining....then this morning I was in my new machinists office hanging out with him and a gentleman that builds high end custom Ducati's, just drinking my coffee, staring at the OEM and billet hub...it slapped me square in the face...couldn't believe it, so simple. With the billet hub, the bearings were sitting substantially lower in the hub, compared to the OEM...I also noticed, instead of one seam between the two stacked bearings, there were two on the OEM hub. Hooked the top seam with what little nail I have on my pinky finger, and from just behind the grease seal, out popped this

[​IMG]

Well I'll be an SOB.... I had looked over and over at multiple manuals, the parts fiche page over and over....does not show this collar anywhere. Popped it into the billet hub, stuck the driven flange on it, BOOM! done. Hauled ass back to the house and got busy.

Now that's more like it, smooth as silk now

[​IMG]

Complete and utter relief, like 10 tons had been lifted off my shoulders. Got serious then..

Installed the caliper and the HEL carbo-look braided line[​IMG]

Mud wrestled with my chain tool and got a new rivet master link pressed on and finished up the chain. RK Max X 520 conversion. This chain was installed by the monkeys before the delivery of the bike, and I'm pretty positive the jackasses cut it a link short. It is a brand new chain, really hated to throw it away, but I know I can't let that sit, new DID ERV3 will be installed....to the correct length after I get it running and I'm sure there are no issues.

[​IMG]

Set up to start filling and bleeding the rear brake system

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25 minutes later it was done, no leaks, works very smooth, rock solid, excellent action, no dragging at all. Perfect.

Proceeded to do the final install on the shock res, coolant overflow bottle and rear master and res. It was a good feeling to see it all in one piece, knowing that it wasn't coming apart again. Turned out pretty decent.

[​IMG]

Finalized the routing of the RR wiring and got it secured. Made it a nice bed of adhesive backed, 1/16" thick rubber. Plenty of room for battery access and completely accessible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checked the clearance of the RR with one of the "from another country in Asia" cowl pieces.

With my newly adjustable RR, moved it a little bit back, and it fit right on. More win, the MOSFET RR is much larger than the standard RR and I had wondered if it was going to work, being able to adjust the RR location made it work out great. I have some gold heat shield for the inside of the lower cowls when they come back, and I'll take a little piece of that and insulate the permanent cowl, just some insurance.

[​IMG]

It's going to look so much better with the single seat cowl

[​IMG]

Got to work on the carbon chain guard, and just like most carbon parts, it needed some massaging to make it fit perfectly. A little nip here, a little tuck there, and everything fit just right. Did the final adjustment on the chain and torqued the pinch bolt and mounted it up.

[​IMG]

That wrapped up today, very happy with the progress, and I'm very relieved that all of that fighting is done. Tomorrow first thing is sprocket cover and all of the bits that connect to it. Have all the pieces OEM new, with the original cover vapor blasted and ready to mount.

[​IMG]

After that, I will finalize the radiators and get it so it's ready to be filled, get the wheel mounted, torque the axle nut to a mind bending 119 ft lbs and do a final install on the exhaust cans. I will then be 100% ready for forks and bodywork....hoping 2-3 weeks I will be riding it, instead of working on it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Blackslide and scottbott like this.
  14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Looking good! Even that properly placed shiny hose clamp. lol
    I see light at the end of the tunnel. And I don't think its the train. Get er done.

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Just working through the completion checklist, most of the heavy lifting and potential choke points have been dealt with, as the gentleman that maintains my yard helped me out this morning with holding the brake pedal, so I could torque the countershaft sprocket bolt and the axle nut to the 150 ft lbs specified. The last potential issue is the cowls clearing the radiators, but I'm pretty confident that won't be a big issue....but I've said that before.

16. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    On the rear nut did you go with an R clip... or stay with the standard split pin.

I like the look of the R clips..

17. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Check that swingarm for stray wrenches one more time before you hit the road.

18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    There must be a good story .............

19. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Holy Badman, I took a break from VFRW...Just return and see this.
    NBC new project...F....This is one of my favorite bike. Pete actually have one for me in London.

Following....

20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Continued on this morning from where I left off, aside from one small detour...my main man Henry was here this morning cleaning the yard, so I enlisted his help to stand on the brake pedal so I could torque the axle nut to the obscene spec of 150 ft lbs. Super easy with the 36", 3/4" drive, torque wrench. Done in 5 minutes. With that done, I could proceed with the rear wheel when I got around to it. Wheel nut is 88 ft lbs, but you're on the same side as the brake pedal and it's a one man job.

Went to work on installing the countershaft sprocket cover, new clutch bits, and the speedo drive

New OEM speedo cable and speedo drive unit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like to get the cable installed into the drive before mounting, much easier to check and make sure the slot in the cable end is connected to the tooth correctly before getting it in a position where it's hard to fit, and you can't really test it.

All connected, ready to mount

[​IMG]

After torquing the sprocket bolt to spec, mounted up the cover, ti bolts.....all except one, lol. They don't sell an m6 x 110 mm bolt, so I have one legacy bolt from the original machine. Greased up the speedo drive connector with some moly disulfide grease, matched everything up and bolted it in.

[​IMG]

Routed the cable and connected it up to the gearbox to switch the speedo from KMPH to MPH

[​IMG]

Partially removed the upper radiator I roughed in last night to check the new mounting bits and went about doing a btter job of routing all of the various wires from the front of the machine.

[​IMG]

Mounted up the front rad for real. Much cleaner now, satisfied for how it all worked out in the end

[​IMG]

With the 3.5 mm top spacer, the rad contacts the frame pin like it's supposed to. Used an Eldon James connector to connect up the overflow...Radtec put a bigger fitting on the rad than stock, so I used the EJ reducing coupling to make a cleaner connection.

[​IMG]

Went to work to check the mounting of the lower rad with the new bracket to get the fan shroud off of the oil filter

[​IMG]

Worked pretty good, now as long as it clears the inner cowl, I'll be stoked. Plenty of room now

[​IMG]

Connected up all the hoses. The Samco kit is a perfect fit, with just the right amount and sizes of hose clamps that everybody loves so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to do some massaging for the carbon fiber right side infill trim panel to fit the new rads, worked out decent, ready to connect up the rest of the bodywork. Left side is still a work in progress, but I wanted to know exactly where the fairing mount needed to be for the cowl, so I could only massage the area that really needed it.

[​IMG]

Somebody asked me about the red hoses, guessing they didn't care for my choice of color, I think it worked out exactly like I envisioned. The contrasts work well together imo.

Mounted up the exhaust, checked all the clearances and tightened it down. Satisfied with how that ultimately worked out.

[​IMG]

Mounted up the powdercoated rear wheel with Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3, black anodized duralumin spacer and special ti nut, and for Mr. Pete, an R clip, safety wired for peace of mind.

[​IMG]

It was kind of a milestone, and even though she's only wearing one shoe and no clothes, it's been 8 weeks since I removed it to start this journey. Felt pretty damn good seeing it back on there.

Got it off the jack stands and sitting on a proper rear stand, rear end, and associated teeth gnashing finally completed.

[​IMG]

Ended the day by topping up as much of the cooling system as I could to check for leaks. I'm a dedicated user of Motul products, coolant, brake fluid, and oil.

[​IMG]

No leaks, weeps, or drips were discovered and that ended the day. It was as far as I could go without forks and bodywork anyway. Just have the front end, signals, screen, fuel tank, steering damper, topping off the fluids, test firing the engine, and installing the bodywork to go. Hope that stuff shows up soon.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Blackslide and KarlR like this.