1994 RVF400R Build Project

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NorcalBoy, Nov 7, 2018.

1. NobleHops

NobleHops New Member

United States
    Map
    Holy smokes Ron, this thread is super epic, as is your bike. Thanks so much for having us on the team and all your kind shout-outs.

Nils

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Map
    Thanks, Nils!

Yeah, the thread did kind of take on a life of it's own, as has the project. I couldn't have done it without all of you guys at Restocycle. I really appreciate all of the effort you folks put into what I was doing, you helped more than you could possibly know. I also want to thank you for turning me on to Robb Kerr at EFabEx, Mr. Tromble at Cycle Skins, and the boys at Evan Steele Performance. Was hanging out with Evan, Phil, and Robb this afternoon. Looking forward to having Evan and Phil work their mojo on the tuning. We had a great chat about it this afternoon.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Map
    Well, things have really started moving and the end is in sight.

Visited my paint man on Monday and took a look at the bodywork and tank so far. It is turning out pretty decent, if I do say so myself. They are just working on the final coats of clear and the polishing. Should have it all back day after tomorrow.

Completed mid panels. The 750 side cover is for a custom bobber project he's also painting right now.

[​IMG]

Tank with just the final clear coating to go. The matched yellow wing will make it just a little bit different from the RTII OEM paint scheme and should be a good match to the yellow RVF on the side cowls.

[​IMG]

Single seat cowl, also ready for the final clear coating

[​IMG]

The lower side cowls were in the paint booth drying, the final coats of clear were on and they were just needing the final sanding and polishing. Don told me that it took over 20 hours to place the graphics kit alone. The graphics are layered from the factory and have to be applied in steps, glad I wasn't the one trying to get it all to work.

Also got a text pic from Tige at FastBike Industries this morning and the initial test fit of the custom cartridges and the assembly was completed this morning. They still needed some fine tuning today, but they told me they would go out today, or tomorrow at the latest. They turned out exactly as I was hoping they would. She is going to have some pretty decent gams, lol.

[​IMG]

Looking towards the end of next week for everything to get here. and for the final bits of assembly. Going to be pretty decent to hear it finally run again.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Nice paint!

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Map
    It's hard to really tell from just seeing it in bits and pieces. I'm interested to see what it looks like when it's installed and you can see it as a package. Forks shipped out this morning, so it won't be too long until I'll be able to see it. Gotta get this done, already started on the preliminary work to start building a rally/baja/dual sport machine. That one is going to take awhile.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    That 750 side cover had me going for a minute there.

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Did you miss the post where he bored the fuck out of the engine? lol

Yeah when I saw the 750 it threw me off for a second.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Map
    The tail section in that same pic is from a CBX that's getting a refresh at Restocycle

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Map
    Spent a few hours hanging out with my machinist, 3D cad guru extraordinaire, Robb Kerr today. As mentioned before, we are brainstorming a rally tower configuration and mounting, and now, a new rally low exhaust that will allow a saddle tank aux fuel cell to be mounted for my next project. He had finished up the new clevis for the rear master out of Nitronix 50 stainless.

I needed this special clevis to address the earlier problem I had come across with the rear brake pedal height being too low for where I typically like it, with no way to adjust it up any further. So took a few measurements and went to Robb and he milled one up for me.

It turned out pretty decent, and even though it's stainless, it's a little lighter than the stock stamped piece. I added 1/4" into the overall length of the clevis and allowed a much better purchase on the master cylinder rod. After the test fit, he is going to also do one out of 7075 aluminum.

[​IMG]

Spent about 15 minutes setting it up, also added a Woodcraft Racing return spring and seat. I prefer the feel of a brake lever with a spring kit, have always used them, on road, or off.

[​IMG]

I'm feeling pretty good about the end result. The lever is now in my preferred location. Plus, I now have a range of adjustment, which I didn't have before. That was the last of the minute details, I'm positive I can finish up now, without having to go back to a punch list of items that I didn't address at the time. I will go back and install the aluminum version, once Robb gets around to milling it.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Insider

United States
    Map
    Very cool, looks great. I like the "lightening" ovals on the side.

Brakes without spring kits can feel kinda "dead" to me, if that makes sense.

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Map
    You're catchin', what I'm throwin'. That is exactly what I try to eliminate, nothing worse than a limp noodle brake pedal. I'm pretty picky when it comes to how the controls feel and where they are located.