1994 RVF400R Build Project

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NorcalBoy, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  2. lsc86

lsc86 New Member

United States
    Map
    Will you be leaving the cases natural with the bronze covers?

Had a riding friend many moons ago, sent his beloved GSXR off to be worked over, not unlike your journey, many twists and turns along the way, after probably 3 years and not sure how much $$$$ he finally got it back. With the amount of personal time invested, as well as the requisite funding, I sincerely hope you're able to enjoy the final product to it's fullest- kudos once again on the determination to see it through.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yes, I will be leaving the cases natural, they were blasted and cryo treated as part of the engine build. I will also leave the case covers the desert tan cerakote, as I had these vapor blasted and coated already. Thanks for the support! It's been a long road, but I haven't lost sight of the finish line. Still have a ways to go to reassemble it, it's time consuming when you have OCD :Laugh: No real idea on when I will actually start working on it, as I have another build going that I will finish first. I say that, but I won't be able to leave it alone, she needs to breathe again.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yesterday.......

Hey Ron.

I have had one engine eat it’s valve guides in very short order. Now another engine is not behaving either. I may have a problem with either valve stem finish, or soft guide material. I’m investigating now.

Since you haven’t run the engine, if it’s valves, it’s an easy fix and I can fly out to the engine and swap the parts in a day. I just need to get new valves made. Which I am working on now.

Sorry for the bad news. But, at least we’re catching it now.

I will be in touch with updates as soon as I know them.

Mike Norman

G-Force Engine Development

www.mngforce.com

Wah wah wah.... :cool: Engine crate is currently in Tucson, scheduled for delivery Monday. Que sera sera.

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map

Crikey - I guess you are gutted by yet another delay.:Frusty::Frusty::Frusty::Frusty::Frusty::Frusty::Frusty:

After seeing that fully built up engine with those stunning G-Force valves I had assumed you were on the home straight.

At least it seems G-Force are being pro-active and stepping up to check your engine over for similar problems and if necessary fix them swiftly.

Fingers crossed its something they can resolve without another circuit for the engine crate.

In the meantime this is probably recommended :drink:

SkiMad

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I actually feel really bad for Mike Norman. First it was a lot of the outside service providers being closed, or with drastically reduced staff, and delivery times being pushed way longer than normal, due to Covid 19, then it was the unexpected internal damage of the crank, cams and cam towers, which took extra time to deal with, topped off by him moving his residence and his entire shop 600 miles north in CA.

Mike put a lot of effort into the engine to make sure it would be worthy of the money spent and that it met his performance and reliability standards. It would have never gotten done, had it not been for him having a lightly used crank and cams in his personal parts stash, and his generosity for selling them to me at a very reasonable price point. Those parts, in that condition, just don't exist. He basically treated it like it was his own personal engine. Because of that, I'm gutted for him. I also don't mind, because he was very proactive and honest about what he thought might be a problem and is moving quickly to fix it. I'm not sure there is another engine builder that would get on a plane, come to you, and fix the issue. Frankly, he is probably the ONLY one who would do it. If it is just the valves, and not the valves and guides, he says he can fly out and have it done in one day. If it is guides, that will require the engine to be shipped back to his shop. It is scheduled for delivery Monday, and I won't even lay eyes on the crate until Thursday.

It really is fine, as I had no plans to start reassembling the RVF anytime soon. I will be back in the garage finishing the CRF at the end of next week and that was the priority, due to available space. Hoping by next Sunday, or the following Monday, the CRF will be 100% done and I can begin preparing for the RVF assembly.

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Wow ---- Ok that's awesome of Mike to step up.

You know however I would have sent you an engine if required..

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I'm not surprised, but I would never ask for a favor like that. You're a good man, Mr. Pete.

9. lsc86

lsc86 New Member

United States
    Map
    It's almost unthinkable that given today's metallurgy and manufacturing process for well known parts like valves & guides, even in one-off situations, that something like that could happen. The forensic discovery would be fascinating if the manufacturer ever divulges the truth about what went wrong!

Tough break all around, but the "what if" list and the implications that could have happened, don't even need to be bothered with now. For your part, at least it was a setback and not a death blow to this project. Fingers crossed it's the simple solution.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I'm just glad that I was the third of the three engines and not the first...that would have meant I was dropping the engine for the third time. As far as the forensics, I'm sure Mike will be very transparent on the cause. He always has been.

11. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

After an extended delay due to parts being manufactured and coated, the holidays, and C-19, and yada yada, Mike Norman will be in my little garage shop on the 20th, and if necessary, the 21st of Feb to get the valve parts replaced and the engine reassembled.

Due to prior commitments, I unfortunately will not be there when the repair is made. I have put the project into the capable hands of my project manager (sister), Terri. I might get some pics from Mike during the repair process, as he's always pretty good about that. So, after more than a year, it looks like I might actually be able to start moving on putting this beast back together and getting it on the ESP dyno for tuning sometime in the near future. It's been a long and painful road, not even all that excited about it. Hoping that will change. What I really want is my guest bedroom back, the parts have been living in there for over a year and I'm sick of seeing them in there. I'm sure my housekeeper will approve of it's removal.

12. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I was just wondering about how you were getting on with your bike the other day, hope it all goes well as it is a stunning bit of kit

13. Jim McCulloch

Jim McCulloch New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad to hear about some progress. Completely understand the apathy. At some point it just needs to be done and move on.

Stay at it!

14. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    That is great news - really glad to hear that.. (& looking forward to seeing the completion).

I can still send you an engine though if this becomes a major problem.

15. NC35_Guy

NC35_Guy New Member

United States
    Hello NorcalBoy. I've been lurking on your thread since the beginning and remain awestruck at the level of your builds (CRF included). I actually live around the corner from you and also have a NC35 that has been a garage queen for many years now. You've given me a lot of inspiration/motivation to get moving on it. If you ever want to meet up and talk bikes, racing, etc., hit me up. Hell, maybe once our NCs are on the road, we can take a ride so I can see what a Mike Norman motor can do.

16. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Suspect you may only see the rear of it...

17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Motosonora Brewing Company. When the weather heats up, it gets kinda lively. I never pass up an opportunity to talk motos!

18. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It has to be running first....:Laugh:

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I am confident Mike will make it good. The other repaired engines have proven to meet the expectations. With Mike and the guys at Evan Steel Performance, I'm sure it will work out just fine.

20. KarlR

KarlR New Member

United States
    Map
    Great to hear the bike will be running soon. Still watching this thread. It has been a long haul for you.