1996 VFR750 burnt connector

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by captaiz, Jun 27, 2024 at 7:32 AM.

1. captaiz

captaiz New Member

Netherlands
    Hey all, new here.

My bike, a 1996 VFR750, randomly died yesterday whilst I was riding on the highway right after the speedo went to zero, despite the fact i was moving.

First tested the battery voltage, it's a new battery less than 2 months old, but it's sitting at 12,2v. So not dead, but not charging either.

Then I figured it might be the R/R, so pulled off the panels, unplugged it and the connector to the R/R looks like this:

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-27 at 19.08.39 (1).jpeg

What am I in for here? Will changing this bad connector fix my problems? Or is this caused by a bad R/R or Stator? I haven't tested the resistance of the stator yet.

2. captaiz

captaiz New Member

Netherlands
    Also, prior to this, the idle was getting jumpier than usual & the bike wasn't starting up as easy - I know I should have checked the battery at this point, but I got lazy/forgot about it :cigar:

3. captaiz

captaiz New Member

Netherlands
    Also, the R/R is not an original one - seems like the previous owner replaced it. There's no part number on it, but it look exactly like this:
    Screenshot 2024-06-27 alle 19.43.34.png

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
  5. VFR_Swede

VFR_Swede New Member

Sweden
    Has same problem, bike VFR 1992 just suddenly died on me while riding. No charging.

Long story short, had a connection problem, looks like yours but in much worse shape. Behind fairing on right hand side under tank.

Cut the cables and solded it. Worked fine ever since. Now I have other problems with that bike but not connected to this.

Skickat från min SM-S911B via Tapatalk
    [​IMG]