1st Bike, New Love

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by willybeamin, Apr 29, 2006.

1. willybeamin

willybeamin New Member

Hey all, I got a 99' VFR 2 weeks ago as a first bike and love it. Sporty, yet comfortable for the long haul. I've already put almost 1000 miles on it and am about to put another grand during a road trip up to Northern CA. I do have some maintenance questions about it. The bike has 70,000 miles on it and from what my experienced riding buddies have said, and from what I've experienced in the last couple of weeks, it was very well taken care of. I don't have an owner's manual or maintenance manual, so I have no idea about the maintenance schedule for the bike. My manuals won't get in until late next week. Any pointers as to fluid changes, valve adjustments, and all that. I don't really know the owner history because I bought it from a dealership. Glad to join the crowd and hopefully I will meet up with some of you in the near future for some good riding. Thanks in advance for the help,

William

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Willie, I have the 98 with both the owners manual and the honda service manual. Here's the basics: I - inspect R - replace L - lubricate

Fuel line I - every 8k mi
    Throttle I
    Choke

Air Cleaner - R - every 12k
    Spark plug - R - every 8k (NGK cr9eh-9 or Denso u27fer9 gap 0.8-0.9mm)
    valve clearance - I -every 24k (IN 0.16+/- 0.03mm) (EX 0.30 +/- .03mm)
    engine oil - R - every 4k (10w40 3.1 L)
    engine oil filter - R - every 4k (Puralator Pure One I forget the mode number, I used Wixx last time and I think it's decent)
    Coolant - I - every 12k - R - at 36k

anyway, that's the basics...I have the book handy if you have any specific question, I'll see if I can find it for you...

Where you heading to north cali from, long beach? Give a yell when you cruise through SLO county, maybe I'll tag a long for a few miles and show you some local twisties... I live in the central coast. I keep saying I'm going to the bay area to visit friends and show them my bike...but I have put it off for months now. Maybe soon...

3. willybeamin

willybeamin New Member

I should be up in SLO thursday/friday, or actually, at any given moment from wednsday to sunday, but i'd definitely be up for a cruise man. I'll have to catch your number so I can give you a ring and coordinate when I'm in the area.

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I work the fourth-ninth 12 hr nights so I can't ride those days. I'll be riding to work from Atascadero, but that's about it. But, after that, I'll be off for 8 days... I'll send you a PM with my cell number.