1st Ride After Guhl Reflash.

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Hailwood, May 14, 2016.

1. dynajohn

dynajohn New Member

Map
    I posted that Don could install the more aggressive UK timing map after he installed it in my ECU several years ago. The re-flash from Guhl was the single most effective power adder I did to my 2013 VFR.

2. Rocketman3

Rocketman3 New Member

So I bought the bike I mentioned in my previous post (paid 6k). I sent my ecu to Guhl motors to get flashed. I was going to wait until I had a little more ride time on the new bike. But it was raining and I got steeped in detail cleaning and some other changes so all the plastic came off. I installed the throttle tamer throttle tube to calm the off idle abruptness (even though there isn't much). I do this on all my bikes and it smooths out throttle control considerably. Makes it sweet transitioning from throttle to front brake and back on the throttle. Anyway I needed to release throttle cable tension to get enough slack at the grip to get the old tube off. Had to loosen the cable at the throttle pully down below. Got rid of those terrible stock grips. One thing led to another and I stumbled on the ecu and decided to remove it and get 'r' done. It's a lot of work removing all the plastic and didn't want to have to do it again. Now I'm anxiously waiting. I have LSL sliders coming and will install those as well. And, I got my radar detector mounted (via ram mount kit) and ready for power. Should be a sweet ride when I'm done. Hopefully there will still be some dry days ahead. I must say I am smitten by the new Aprilia Tuono and may have to get one of those next.

3. Hafster

Hafster New Member

Czech Republic
    Map
    Hey Rocketman3,

I am in the same position you were in. I am seriously thinking about buying a VFR1200 and will need the Don Guhl reflash. Do you have any updates about your experience?

It would also be great if Terry and Mark, the other aussies, could update with their research and results.

Cheers,

Haf.

4. Hafster

Hafster New Member

Czech Republic
    Map
    Hey Mark,

Any updates?

Haf.

5. Hafster

Hafster New Member

Czech Republic
    Map
    Hey Terry,

Any updates?

Cheers,

Haf.

6. Rocketman3

Rocketman3 New Member

Haf,
    The reflash is a must! At least it was for me. It was in my plan from the get go. If you don't do the flash you will be chasing other expensive solutions. I wouldn't have purchased the vfr1200 if this option was not available. It smooths everything out. In stock form 1st and 2nd gear is where the worst throttling gremlins exist. My bike is completely stock otherwise. I may eventually swap the stock exhaust. For now I like it quiet. In my opinion this bike just doesn't sound good enough, so why make it louder. Sounds a lot like a boxer twin.

Before I purchased this one I test rode one that had all the bazazz stuff done. It even had the bazzaz fuel modulator (PC5 type device) and had been dynotuned. It worked very well but I hated not having the gear indicator in 1st and 2nd.

The bike is comfy enough for modest touring. It's smooth and well behaved. Easy to ride. The suspension is compliant. I paid 6k for mine.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Rod

7. essasc

essasc New Member

Egypt
    Hello there, just another VFR1200F new buyer.
    2 weeks now enough to tell no way to keep it that way.
    I contacted every ecu tuning centers around the globe.. but I can see that guhlmotors is the one.
    Rocketman3 what have you got???

Sent from my SM-A500H using Tapatalk

8. Rocketman3

Rocketman3 New Member

I got the Guhlmotors flash. His work is tried and true. I am very satisfied.

Ridem32 likes this.
  9. Ghostknife

Ghostknife New Member

Ozzybob and I have been trying to get onto ECUnleashed in Aus for a few weeks now... and nothing. Did anyone get a response from them? Its very much looking at this stage like my ECU is going on a plane trip to the Guhl.

10. Ridem32

Ridem32 New Member

United States
    Don Guhl is by far the best mod. He has done several bikes for me. Just bought a 2010 1200 with 650 miles on it. I will send Don Guhl my ECU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Mark H

Mark H New Member

Australia
    Map
    For the record, I gave up on the reflash idea after installing a Two Brothers slip-on exhaust (this really helped) and the Z-Bomb (a simple but amazing piece of kit).

I'd have gone with the Guhl reflash path if I lived in the US. I just can't bear to put my ECU in the post and hope it survives a round the world trip.

Based on the descriptions of the Guhl reflash compared to my hack (exhaust plus ZBomb) I feel as though I have a 90% solution without the risk/heartache of a potentially damaged ECU in-transit.

My bike pulls all the way through the rev range in all gears (don't ask how I know it keeps pulling above 3rd)! My set-up works really well for me because I live outside the USA and I'm risk averse, I've decided to stay with my low risk hack.

By the way. The VFR1200 is a wicked bike. I absolutely love it.

12. Mark H

Mark H New Member

Australia
    Map
    Let me know how it goes.

13. Hafster

Hafster New Member

Czech Republic
    Map
    I purchased the Z-Bomb and it made a huge difference. I’ve disconnected the exhaust servo so the stock exhaust is now open all the time and am very happy with the outcome.
    From what I can read the reflash is the better option but being down here in Oz it is a big commitment to send your ECU to the U.S.
    I don’t really use the gear position number on the dash so the downside to the Z-Bomb is nothing.
    I understand the reflash can offer other benefits but believe removing the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions is enough for me, now this thing flys as it should have from the get go, I recommend this cheap easy mod to anyone.

14. Ridem32

Ridem32 New Member

United States
    I got a new to me 2010 vfr 1200. I'm not sure what people mean by 1st & 2nd gear is restricted. My runs great in 1st and 2nd all the way to 10,500 rpm rev limiter. Tell how these bikes are restricted in 1st and 2nd. What to look for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk