2000 VFR800 vs. Ducati Multistrada

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by fairfaxbiker, May 30, 2006.

1. fairfaxbiker

fairfaxbiker New Member

Greetings-
    I am new to the forum and own a 2000 VFR 800. For the past year I have been test riding the Ducati Monster and Multistrada. I really wanted to buy one, but the simple fact is that my old VFR blows away the Ducati in terms of performance and comfort. I mean, I had the cash ready but after 5 test rides at my dealer the Honda just rode that much better.

I have a slip on Micron carbon exhaust as the only upgrade. But now that I saved $12k from buying a new Ducati, I am ready to re-invest in my old VFR. I would like to purchase tires, seat, windscreen and a summer mesh jacket and pants. Any advice on these purchases would be appreciated or any other advice on what to make my VFR more fun.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  2. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

Definitely made a good decision the only ducs I'd consider is an ST4, 999 or older 916. Thing is they are expensive to own not like a honda.

Put a PC on your VFR it makes more difference then the exhaust. Also try going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket or two up on the rear it will really make the bike move it's a big difference. I like the sargent seat it feels better then the corbin in my opinion I've ridden both. Great choice now go out and spend some of that cash you saved on the vfr!

3. fairfaxbiker

fairfaxbiker New Member

Thanks for the advice. Do I need a new chain if I change sprockets? I have 5000 miles on the machine if that makes any difference. Any idea on where to find some good deals on upgrades?

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Seat: Sergeant... No questions asked. They are superior to Corbins. Yes I've tried both.

Tires: The new Dunlop Qualifiers or Michelin Pilot Powers. I really like Metzeler Sportec M1's but they only last about 1200 miles.

Windshield: Several choices. They make them in several rises or simply stock shape but smoked. I have a Targa Sportscreen in light smoke with a 2" lip. It seems to do a good job cutting down the wind.

Jacket: Icon Timax 2 Mesh. Great jacket, much better than the Joe Rocket Phoenix. I sold my Phoenix to buy my Timax.

Pants: I managed to get some Icon Timax pants at closeout but they don't make them anymore. I think the JR Blaster pants are pretty good. I saw more guys wearing these at Deals Gap than anything else other than leather.

KC-10 FE out...

5. fairfaxbiker

fairfaxbiker New Member

O.K. KC-10, I like the looks of the Icon jacket and I see you ride the same yellow VFR. What color for the jacket and seat? Also, can you post or send me some pics of your upgraded VFR? I just sold my F150 crew cab but had the FX4 as I do lots of off roading here in TN. Let me know whe the next Deals Gap ride is...

6. Jazz

Jazz New Member

The PC is a definite buy, as well as dropping a tooth in the front or raising two in the rear, as mentioned by rc51rider. I like my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants and Corbin seat, but have never tried the Timax or Sergeant, so cannot back Hworth and rc51rider's claims on these.
    R,
    Jazz

7. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I posted some pics in my gallery. I've since upgraded to a new helmet
    (Arai RX7 Corsair/Wraith red) and new muffler (http://www.metricbikes-superstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=559&products_id=2379).

The seat is the Sergeant World Sport & I REALLY like it:
    http://www.sargentcycle.com/howsvfr8.htm

My Icon jacket looks like this:
    http://www.metricbikes-superstore.com/product_info36.php?cPath=112&products_id=460

It sure is comfy & more improtantly, it seems like it will take some abuse if leaving the confines of controlled riding is in the works. As soon as I do some photo arranging on my laptop, I can post an updated pic of my bike.

KC-10 FE out...

8. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

Going down one in the front or up two in the back shouldn't cause you to have to get a new chain. It's great mod for the buck.

9. fairfaxbiker

fairfaxbiker New Member

Great Job KC-10 FE! I appreciate the links and the pictures...very cool! I really like the way the seat allows for storage underneath. Now I MUST go ride my VFR! It is idleing and calling my name.........
    Any riders in the Middle TN area?

10. fairfaxbiker

fairfaxbiker New Member

Bought my new summer jacket today!

Thanks all for the advice. I went around to a few local shops and found the super sweet Icon Pursuit full leather perforated jacket on sale for $209! That is even better than mailorder and it fits perfectly! What a difference over the full leather or Textile First Gear! As long as you are moving it is super cool... Here is what it looks like: http://www.metricbikes-superstore.com/product_info36.php?cPath=207&products_id=888
    I really like the better protection of leather. Love the looks too!

11. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

You got a sweet deal on that jacket. Alot of guys knock Icon. They say it's "Stuntaz" & "Squid" gear. If you try their stuff on, most will be pleasantly surprised. They make top notch stuff.

KC-10 FE out...

12. fairfaxbiker

fairfaxbiker New Member

squid?

I know nothing of squid or stuntaz... I do know high quality and well made items. That ICON stuff is super well made and very, very tough. I always try to buy the best for the best price. Not the cheapest price... I will pay double that of a cheap item to get a top quality at a nice discount. That's how I roll... :wink: My only stunt is the very occasional 2nd gear wheelie on my street legal DRZ400E.:smile: