2002-2005 Honda VFR Recall Letter

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by dravera, Sep 20, 2007.

1. dravera

dravera New Member

Has anyone else received this letter from American Honda Motor Co.,Inc?
    I received this letter in the mail yesterday from Honda. It says that their is a defect in the wiring harness of certain 2002-2005 Honda VFR motorcycles. According to the letter "Under certain conditions, the ground wire terminals inside the connector between the main wiring harness and faring sub-harness can overheat, resulting in melting of the connector and a loss of power to various circuits. As a result, a loss of critical lighting or engine power could occur without warning, which could result in a crash."
    The letter goes on to say that Honda recommends that no one should ride the VFR until the problem is fixed by a Honda dealer.
    I called two dealerships closest to where I live and asked about this. Both dealerships knew nothing about this recall or when parts would be avaible to fix them. I called Honda Motors Customer Service and spoke to a Customer Service agent named John who told me that Honda is in the process of getting the necessary parts together and sending them to the dealerships. John also told me that it could take between 2-4 weeks before the parts are in dealerships. In the meantime, John sugessted that I not ride my bike until then unless I had to and also said that Honda would not be providing any loaner replacemet bikes to their Customers. I don't know about anyone else but I ride my bike about 70% of the time. I use it mainly for transportation. I would suggest anyone else who feels that Honda should do something for their Customers while they are waiting for dealers to get the parts, should call the Customer Service number at (866) 784-1870 and ask for John and let him know your concerns.

2. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    Recall

Got the same letter,talked to my local Honda dealer,he knew nothing even after he looked up his computer links to Honda.I guess don't use your high beams @night or you you could be killed.Honda must be covering there ass.

3. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    I figured Honda would do better than this! :eek: Not ride my bike until they fix it???:confused: I use my bike to commute to work 5 days a week so unless they have another suggestion I'm going to keep on riding it. If it blows up you better believe they will be supplying a new bike!

I think Honda is concerned that if you have a lot of accessories on the bike you might be overtaxing the electrical system. The letter talks about unplugging all your accessories and only using the low beam if you intend to keep riding your bike. I figured the dealerships wouldn't know anything yet. They are usually the last one's to get any info on recalls. It's better for them to say "I dont' know" then make something up and get sued.

4. sschlosnagle

sschlosnagle New Member

Map
    Yea, I got my letter on Wednesday and was surprised no one had posted here about them.

The funny thing about this, for me, is my bike's front wiring harness just had failed in the exact way that the letter describes back in July!

I was two days into my week long tour of: the Skyline Drive, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Tail of the Dragon, and the Cherohala Skyway.

The bike refused to start after I stopped for dinner in Front Royal, VA. It would turn over fine but as soon as I let off the starter the engine would die. I noticed the whine from the headlamp relay that they mention in the letter as well as "abnormal behavior of the indicators".

We tore down the front of the bike as well as the starter button but eventually gave up and prevailed upon the offer of a fellow rider in the area to trailer the bike to the closest Honda dealer.

I feel lucky that it broke down where it did, a few hours before I was up on top of Spruce Knob in WV! Dirt road, no cell signal, no nothing and with a rainstorm coming in. In hindsight the bike did take a few times to start then, definitely out of the ordinary but it didn't throw up any big red flags.

The dealer was able to get me back on the road in 28 hours so our tour was not ruined. They replaced the front wiring harness and the headlamps.

I called Honda Motorcycle Customer Service today and they said that when the send the letters out informing us that there is a fix ready that letter will include a form for reimbursing any of us that have already been bitten by this problem.

Personally, I think that Honda is doing a good job with this recall so far. I don't have any data on how widespread this type of failure has been, but I hadn't heard of it before.

5. sspilotmi

sspilotmi New Member

I got my letter yesterday too. Definate CYA letter drafted by lawyers. No way I am parking it, the riding season is too short here in Wisconsin. Hopefully the parts will be in over the winter and the dealer can repair it then.

6. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

This problem has been well known and documented on VFRD for years and is easy to fix.

Put a quick tap on the green ground wire on each side of the blue connector, and run a wire to a ring terminal to connect to the gas tank cable bolt on the frame.

I am sure Honda's fix will not address the R/R monitor wire problem, or the 30 amp fuse issue either. :rolleyes:

7. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

Jeremy556, new to the vfr's and all. Was curious if you wouldn't mind saying what the R/R monitor wire problem, or the 30 amp fuse issue is?? I know what the r/r is, but not aware of issues with it. Thanks

8. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

The 30 amp fuse issue is the main 30 amp fuse next to the battery. After a while, it burns up, turns brittle, and melts. This can be fixed by replacing the fuse holder and wire to the battery with a larger gauge wire and aftermarket fuse holder.

The cause is thought to be Honda’s crappy crimped connections causing too much resistance->heat->burned up wire and fuse holder. A common symptom of this issue is the bike randomly stalling at idle.

The 6th gen’s (possibly the late 5th gens as well) R/Rs have a monitor wire that is supposed to supply battery voltage to the R/R so that the R/R can vary its output according to battery state and system load.

The problem is that this wire gets a voltage drop that gets worse over time causing the R/R to pump out way too much voltage. The fix is to bypass the main harness side of the monitor wire and run your own circuit.

This has been found on nearly every bike it has been checked for with more than 10K miles, and in every case the fix has worked flawlessly. There is even a member of VFRD producing a plug and play wire harness to fix the issue.

My readings before fixing the R/R monitor wire:
    Idle: 14.8 volts
    Idle with brights: 15.7 volts
    5500rpm with brights: 16.4 volts
    5500rpm brights and cooling fan: 17+ volts

Readings afterward:
    Idle: 14.4 volts
    Idle with brights: 14.35
    5500rpm with brights: 14.4
    5500rpm brights and cooling fan: 14.3

Those were taken with 2 different R/Rs and I had also replaced the stator before figuring out the monitor wire problem. My voltages were higher than most others' who have fixed theirs, but I had a lot more miles on my bike, and generally, the more miles, the worse the problem, and higher the voltages have been.

9. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

Wow, good to know, thanks for the information. I've only had the bike about 2 months. I bought it with 24,000 miles and have since added another 3,000 to it. Seems to run fine. The pervious owner said he never had any issues with the bike and never had to do anything other than the regular maintence. I just got the workshop manual for it. So looks like this weekend I have a few things to check out.

10. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    Received my Letter yesterday.... Pfft Yeah like I'm not riding it...... And I got a bridge in brooklyn to sell as well.......

Guess I'll call up the dealer schedule in Novemebr or something when it's colder....

11. OneSided

OneSided New Member

Map
    First my Explorer and now my VFR, I'll take my chances until the parts come in..........

12. Marcosdm

Marcosdm New Member

Jeremy, some people has found that's wrong to use the gas tank ring as a ground,(in some cases it can get's really hot), instead use the frame.

13. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

I'm talking about the screw that holds the wire that keeps you from overextending the gas tank when it is hinged up, that is screwed into the frame.

14. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

Thanks to Jeremy556 for the info

15. dripa

dripa New Member

Map
    recall

Hi I was wondering if any one knows where the fault is located at? I have 2003 abs model. I have been running heated clothing for three years now without a problem would like to check and see if I can notice anything wrong. Don Ripa

16. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

I've found this thread very interesting and mainly due to I just picked up a used 04 about 2 months ago. I drive it every day and trips on the weekends. I purchased the bike with 24,000 miles, and now has 27,500 miles. Has been running great, and the previous owner said he never had any problems with the bike. So, was curious what kind of miles people had on their bikes, when they had these problems? Thanks

17. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

Read my posts above.

The specific problem the recall is addressing is the green ground wire in the blue main harness connector on the left side of the bike. To fix this and not wait for Honda, bypass the connector with some wire and even better, ground that to the frame.

18. sspilotmi

sspilotmi New Member

My 04 has 6,500 miles. Nothing has ever gone wrong, just oil changes.

I read about the R/R issue, this comes under the "if it isnt broke, don't fix it" category. I will get my bike in on the recall though. I'll look into the R/R thing after I go past 10,000 miles. I rarely get more than 200 miles from home so I am not too worried about getting stranded somewhere.

19. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

Mine started to show symptoms around 16K miles. Initially is was random engine dying. The 30 amp fuse fix mentioned above fixed that problem.

Later I figured out the monitor wire problem which fixed all the wiring in the bike starting to burn up, light bulbs blowing, and batteries getting fried from 16+ volts coming from the R/R.

I never had the ground wire problem, I found out about the fix and did it preemptively a long time ago.

20. jeremy556

jeremy556 New Member

Why not check? All it takes is about 30 seconds and a multimeter.