2002 VFR Staintune Install

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Guest, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am installing this system sometime this weekend and I have a few questions for the group..

One set of instructions never mentions the use of exhaust sealer/gasket another does.

Any suggestions on keeping this easy and clean based on experience?

Noah
    ???

2. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Hey Noah- I don't have any suggestions but would appreciate your posting your installation experience afterward--my Staintunes are in a box in the garage waiting for me to get some spare time. Any insight you can offer would be appreciated. thanks, Rick 8)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Wahoo!

Holy CR&P!

What a difference the pipes made and the sound is unbelievable. I just sit at lights revving and smiling.

Install was very simple, but I took my time and read them a few times step by step. I think all needed tools were in my kit and only had to change one bolt which was included. (Rear right footpeg). It was almost too easy, these are the pipes to get and remeber to pull the baffles or leave them in, but make a choice (I forgot they were there and was really upset with the sound until I looked).

Now I have to trip 1/4" off each side of my licence plate and the top left and right corners of my fender eliminator and I am set.

Noah
    8) :D ;D ;D :D 8)

4. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Put the Staintunes on last night--sounds like a totally different bike. That v-four really has an awesome tone when it's breathing out through wide-open pipes! Yowsahh!! Installation was cake, but for the hangars for my OEM hard bags. They don't interfere with the Staintunes, but couldn't get the stock pipes off without removing the hangars, which meant each of their three points of attachment plus some, and then jockeying them back on so that all the attachments line up is always a joy. But it was worth it! Couldn't believe how heavy the stock pipes were when I got them off--they felt like ingots.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

No reason to preach to the choir here, you know how good these pipes sound! These are the best fit and finish I have ever seen in a set of aftermarket pipes. I wish the guy that hand welded the seems on my Staintunes had done the welding on my VFR frame, the welds are that clean! Install was a breeze. I used a small coat of high temp (700 degree) silicone on the joints. I dids this to avoid any hissing from the joints. I don't know if it was neccessary or not, but it didn't hurt and the instruction called for it. One nice thing, this system lets you raise your plate and bob your fender a bit more, the holes are even in the metal backing behind the plastic to facilitate this, just drill the plastic. I don't run my bike with the grab bars or the rear sets for passangers, they can get their own bike! Without all of these extra parts to mar the view, the bike looks great. I took off all of the decals and with the Staintunes on, every other rider does a double take to try to figure out what brand of bike this is. Good fun.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

???Just hopped on new bike yesterday and would appreciate your info on where to order Staintunes.
    Juan

7. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Check out www.cbtimports.com . I got mine from StarCycle because of shipping differences, but I believe they order from CBT Imports anyway. StarCycle is at www.starcycle.com . These are great pipes--you'll love 'em. --Rick 8)

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I believe everyone orders them from CBI, as when I ordered from exoticsportbike there was a CBI sticker as well. They may be the US importer.

Noah
    :eek:

9. Guest

Guest Guest

staintunes are the bomb, i had a few issues with install of mine i'd like to pass along to others. first, put your new collector on outside the frame and rock it up,down,left,right, to increase the opening a little so it slides on without effort. i first attemped install inside the framework and lost my patience with trying to get the collector to slide all the way down the catylitic convertor opening, many expletives. also, one pipe was super tight to fit/ no sealant applied, the other slid right on/sealant applied to this one. no issues w/leakage on non sealed pipe. the system sounds awesome and was worth my lack of experience w/ the install

10. Bill

Bill New Member

I too am planning on these pipes, sounds like great reviews from all!

Did anyone have to go to a PC11, or install O2 ellim kits? Or was the stock config OK and no problems with the FI mapping?

Thanks!

Bill in Canada! :)

11. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Bill- I hooked up the Staintunes, didn't change anything else, and the bike runs great! I feel like I got a performance boost and at this point see no need to go to a PC or otherwise play with the FI... Even spent one entire day at a riding class at high rpms all day with no probs--the bike simply ran great.. Good luck! Rick

12. juan

juan New Member

Found a comparative test of the Staintunes, against Micron and Two Brothers. The site has a really helpful sound track of these slipons, plus the sound of the stock 2002 cans for comparison. ::)Go to www.is2k.com/autozone (exhaust competition). One really cool aspect is that the Staintune can be heard with and without the baffles in place. It sounds so good that I am considering placing the warranty at risk!!

13. Bill

Bill New Member

Thanks Rick for the info!

Bill

14. Old_Codger

Old_Codger New Member

:-/ These pipes might be just what I'm looking for. One more question though. The stock exhaust on my 2003 runs cool enough to allow soft luggage to hang right next to it. How about the Staintunes?

15. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

NO! Not gonna work if that's the case, codger. The stock pipes have those heat shields on them, but the Staintunes don't and they get very hot... Works okay with the OEM hard bags because there's enough space separation and the bags themselves have heat shields on them, but I wouldn't use the pipes if anything was going to rest against them directly--you'll have a meltdown, or worse. :eek: Rick

16. JERMS-VFR

JERMS-VFR Guest

RICK I have corbin bags do you think that i could put this exhaust on my bike or is there ant other slip ons that would work

17. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I have to think the Corbins would work fine, and Corbin could probably tell you too. The Staintunes are slightly smaller in profile than the stock mufflers (with their heat shields in place), so they aren't wider on the sides of the bike than the stock pipes and there was absolutely no interference with the Staintunes and my OEM bags--the same should be true for the Corbins. I just wouldn't put anything against the pipes directly, like soft luggage or a passenger's leg flesh :eek: , cause they do get H.O.T.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, guys. I have a '00 VFR stock(yellow ;D) and am looking into Staintune slip-ons. I heard a digital recording from another website and the sound was awesome. If I go with the high-mount slip-on, is there any trimming of the license plate holder or anything else such as this that needs to be done? I do not have saddle bags so I don't have to worry about interferance here. Thanks.