2002 VFR800 running hot, I think???

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by GR8TSCT, Aug 13, 2007.

1. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    Touchin' Base

We should all respect are internationality and identify our farenheits/centigrades and MPH vs KPH...Thanks

2. CRAZY K

CRAZY K New Member

220 Even 225 Farienhiet Is Where My 02 Vfr Tops At Then The Fan Kicks On. On Backroads And Long Trips I Catch About 180 To 197 Depending On Wind And Air Temp. U Might Wana Try To Drain The Coolant And Replace It With Honda Coolant At Ur Local Honda Dealer.

3. ikavo

ikavo New Member

Switching to full synthetic oil dropped my temps slightly. Maybe less friction?

K

4. kirmit

kirmit New Member

VFR hot not fun to ride

I have a VFR 800 I purchased 2 years ago now. The actual temperature would not bother me if I couldn't feel the heat burning my legs, making a ride when there is traffic or just a hot day generally very uncomfortable.

I would love to know if there is any way to make this bike more comfortable to ride in Summer!

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    You could try wrapping your headers and exhaust?

Try running a mixture of WaterWetter and Distilled water in lieu of standard coolant.

6. houghjohann

houghjohann New Member

Good day, want to also add and ask regarding the running temperature. I know with my 5th Gen (99") the normal running temperature on the open road was always round 80degC (176F) with an ambient of anything between 20 to 30degC (68F to 86F) but with my 6th Gen (08") I found that normal open road running without V-tech engaged it averages at round 87degC (188F) and with V-tech engaged it goes up to 94degC (201F). Is this normal and can anybody relate? I have renewed the cooling water and made sure the concentration is correct at 50/50. According to me the temperature should stay within its normal running range which would be plus minus 80degC (176F). Feedback would be appreciated?

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Completely normal. Even 94C isn't hot. Your fan should kick on at about 105C, and turn off around 98C.

8. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I was just watching my temps today ... the ambient temperature was 22*C (72*F)

On the highway, I was in the high 80's to mid 90's (190-200*F for you US folk)

In traffic in the city though, it climbed to 107*C (225*F)

I know my Magna ran hot with the old version of this V4 engine - but I'm not sure where this generation of the engine should be sitting. It seems a bit high to me for what the ambient temps were - I'm wondering if the thermostat is sticking closed a bit.

I'm going to test to make sure the fan is kicking in tomorrow (if it's not raining).

9. houghjohann

houghjohann New Member

Well Jeff your temperatures sounds the same as mine, and according to Pliskin this is normal for the bike as mine also runs in that range and fan kicks in at plus minus 106*C.

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    And I still stand by what I said!! :)

I guess you could say that maybe with ambient temps in the low 70* F that its leaning a little bit on the warm side, but that's what these bikes do. They run hot. If the fan is coming on at 221-222* F, then its doing what its supposed to. If you're bothered by the temps, try a good coolant flush and change.

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Yah, not really bothered yet - I had a Magna V45, same engine practically, it ran hot as hell.

Just wasn't sure how much they were improved by '02 ... I expect it to run hot based on what I've read, but I wasn't sure if 106*C was hotter than normal for a 22*C ambient temp.

I'm just keeping an eye on it for now, if there's a problem, I'll just check the fan, do a complete power flush and change the thermostat all at the same time. I don't expect any problems though - the highway temps are perfect.