2004 v.s. newer VFR

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by photo_grphr, May 8, 2007.

1. photo_grphr

photo_grphr New Member

Map
    Greetings. I have owned two VFR's in the past. One was a mid 90's the other I believe was a 2000 or 2001 model. Hard to beat these bikes in my opinion. I'm now looking at buying another VFR. I'm seriously looking at a used one in Arizona, I live in CA so it's a big move to fly there with the intention of riding home. My questions are:

1. Any major differences between the 2004 and newer models? Anything that I would justify nearly double the price?

2. Exhaust. I haven't ridden a newer one of the VFR's. Are most people running stock exhaust or adding a two brothers or remus?

3. Silly question; does the stock exhaust sound like a lawnmower or is it more pronounced? My old bike had a remus and she sounded VERY sweet....

thanks in advance for your help.

court

2. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

hey photo_grphr, welcome to the site!

1. The main difference is engagement of the VTEC, on 06 and newer it engages at 6400rpm instead of 7000rpm. I'm not sure I'd call this a major difference, but probably the most notable beside clear turn signals and a little fancier windshield.

2. I'm currently running stock cans, but there are very good options available from Staintunes, Leo Vince, BOS. There are other brands available too, but those are my personal favorites.

3. As I've piled on more miles the sound seems to have improved with the stockers, nothing that resembles a lawnmower though.

Hope that helps, good luck.

3. photo_grphr

photo_grphr New Member

Map
    Thanks for your repsonse. I've spoken with two honda dealers. One told me the differences were HUGE and night and day form an 04 to 06 model. Another dealer told me changes were next to nothing, more along with what you are saying.

I'm looking at an 04 with only 2,000 miles on it for around 7k with hard bags. Seems like the way to go, especially since I really don't care for the new paint jobs...

thanks again.

4. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

That 04 sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

I'd say that dealer who told you the difference is "HUGE" is attempting to up-sell you to an '06 or '07.

5. Tuffy

Tuffy New Member

Map
    The other part of the VTEC is that it not only engages at 6400 it doesn't disengage till it drops below 6100.

I have also got Remus pipes on my 06 and it sounds awesome.

6. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    The newer bike may have finer mist injectors too, but not 100% sure. I just bought an 04' Red with the Staintunes and 650 miles for 7k in Dec so in season with the bags that sounds pretty sweet. With 06's well over 10, we had same logic progression completely.

In all fairness to the dealer, Motorcyclist did say they have tweaked the VTech to address surging, throttle issues to an improvement. I just synched the Starter Valves and am done on advice from a Tech I trust.

See if the dealer has a demo? Very rare, but I would have loved to ride this bike before purchase, you only get one shot "caveat emptor!!":yo:

7. photo_grphr

photo_grphr New Member

Map
    Thanks to all for the info. I'm going with a 2005 sliver vfr with less than 4,000 miles on it and a gps setup intact. I do plan on doing a lot of touring so this is good. I got an 'okay' deal at $7,500-no bags. Silver ones are tough to find and for maybe paying $500 or so less I pulled the trigger and will get it this weekend.

Now I need to look at exhaust.... What and why do you recommend what you have?

8. alter ego

alter ego New Member

Map
    Congrats on the new bike. My bike is finally loosening up during break in so I have been revving it more and getting into vtec. Funny thing is it kicks in just under 7000rpm. I wonder why so late on an 07. Tach incorrect or just variances in production.... Who knows. Pipes. I think at idle or low rmp the bikes sounds like Honda yard equipment(lawn mower?) at least a riding mower. When riding and getting somes revs it sounds pretty good. I came from a CBR so it was a bit of a change for me. I love it now even with stock pipes. In VFR WIKI there are links for the sounds. Staintunes sound great. I heard an 02 with them. Music.

9. robertv19

robertv19 New Member

Staintunes.
    The stock is quiet. I rode my '03 (silver as well) for 2 seasons with the stock and while I didn't mind the stock, after riding behind another VTEC with Staintunes on last summer, my mind was made up.
    I just put them on last weekend and after riding for several hours with them on, I highly recommend them. Pricey, but worth it.

Rob

10. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    congrats on your new ride-- good choice:first: ...... happy with my 05 silver....
    kept stock exhaust for a season the stock sound isnt that great sounds like a turbo scooter or honda mower or at least thats what some of the guys i ride with called it. installed a set of staintunes and sounds very different than all the inlines its almost like a mini stock car not too loud just right.
    went with staintunes, liked the looked closer to stock than most of the others. made well good quality but expensive.

11. MrDe

MrDe New Member

I have a silver 05 and the VTEC kicks in at 6800 and kicks off at 6400 (at least according to my tach!) I have 6500 miles on it this year and it purrs blow VTEC and howls above it. I guess "sound" is in the ear of the beholder ...:) I do know that if you want to get spirited, you have to keep the revs up ... which on this bike is not a problem. All in all, I'm quite happy with it as I hope you will be. It's a really nice all around-er.

12. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    after hearing the Staintune clip in Modifications I was sold. Thankfully the bike I bought already had them so I didn't have to wait:lever: Great low end grumble, above 7k you are spitting V4 FU all over anyone behind you. Can't wait to ride in front of friend with Duc.

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    On my '07, if you bring the revs up gradually, VTEC kicks in at 6400 every time. Are you at full throttle and by the time you hear the VTEC kick in, the tach is at 7000?

14. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

That's good VA! Staintunes should use that blurb in their marketing.

:rofl:

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map

Cute.. like this one

[​IMG]

Sorry no Hijack intended. I can't make a comment but can say Staintunes are the way to go..:biggrin: