2006 honda vfr or 2006 triumph sprint st

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by RICSTER, Nov 10, 2006.

1. RICSTER

RICSTER New Member

Which would you choose and why? I am looking to buy either one and im finding it a tough decision.

2. Lansonfloyd

Lansonfloyd New Member

I own an 06 VFR, but I test rode a Sprint ST as well. For me, it came down to money, and money alone. The Triumph dealer wouldn't budge on price of my trade and his bike, but the Honda dealer gave me a fair price on mine, and a DEAL on his. Simple, I saved thousands overall.

But... and this is a BIG but...had it not been a money issue (aka the fact that the Triumph dealer was trying to get my trade-in Buell CHEAP) then I would have certainly gone with the Triumph Sprint ST, as a matter of fact, it would be in Caspian Blue!

Bottom line, the Sprint ST is a GREAT bike, with a more tractable powerband, very good ergos, and one hell of a good looking bike. So is the VFR, but its not the same. The Sprint ST just says "Get the F! out of my WAY!" to me. Gets better mileage too, despite the major displacement difference. The little details, like the instruments, the tail, the single sided swingarm and wheel, the little chrome accents...it all makes a pretty bike. The NEW bags that they made for it are great too.

Of course, now that you are debating on which one to get, let me add that I do not regret my purchase, since I saved $1500+ and for that, I get my 2nd choice. Now though, the biggie is that you got bikes like the ZX-14, and the new Concours 14 coming out, both bikes w/ the best motor out there IMO. I'm now officially waiting for the Concours to come out, and the VFR will be bye bye., well most likely anyway, because MotoGuzzi is also kicking ass with their new 1200 motor, and The Bandit 1250 is out soon, and the FZ1 got better, ...Sigh... its good to have options I suppose.

3. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
  4. alter ego

alter ego New Member

Map
    Ride both bikes and see which one you like better..... Everyone will have their own opinion and the only one that matters is yours.... So go ride them. As far as $$$ go, theres a reason people are getting great deals on VFR's. Honda can't get rid of them!!!! If you make price the big obstacle and you really want the Triumph in the end, don't buy the Honda. It will end up costing you the price of the Honda plus the Triumph to get the one you wanted in the first place. That being said, I put my order in on a VFR in the rwb colors last month. I am having a few doubts though, I rode an R1200s recently and it has a LOT more character and power for $4-5k more. Luckily my local dealer is a Honda, BMW, Ducati carrier so if I change my mind..... Good luck RICSTER.

5. Piperdown

Piperdown New Member

A buddy of mine has a 2006 Sprint ST ABS which I drove before I got my VFR. I really didn't have a point of comparison then so while I really like his bike couldn't compare and contrast to the VFR.

My buddy has driven both back to back and his main comment was that if he could take his motor and put it in the VFR chassis it would create the perfect bike in his opinion. He found the exhaust note a tad quiet on the VFR. Also, the plastic tank is pain in his opinion. I think the extra gas mileage would be nice and the extra ponies from time to time.

Most people consider bang for the buck and I think ultimately the VFR has that.

6. nitronorth

nitronorth New Member

I rode both 06's a fair bit and was on my way to pick up the sprint when i just found a yr old leftover vfr and the 4000$ cheaper made it the one i came home with. I did find the sprint to be a bit faster, look way cooler(to me) and it definitely sounded great!! Really great!!.and that sure adds a lot to the experience for me....The guages were way cooler also in my opinion....Handling was beyond my capabilities on either so cant say on that part..
    The included bags are probably a good deal if you want them, I didn't , so $$ wasted for me..

It definitely was a hotter bike to ride compared to the vfr, which is probably the coolest bike in the heat that i ever road(not including v twins of course), Typical wider engine heat flow outa the fairing deal..the side rads on my vfr dont seem to do that. If you do ride stop and go in cities in big heat a lot, the vfr will certainly be more comfy. May seem trivial, but it is very noticeable. I wouldn't let it stop me though as all 4 bangers the same deal and i survived them..:)

I cant fault the vfr, it does everything great, cept it sounds like a hoover.. I really enjoy it,find it comfy, goes good, and handles great.I put 20,000km on it since august... but I still would rather have had the sprint..but $$ talks..along with another big factor for me..I dont keep a bike long, and the market for a honda, and the dealer network around here really makes the honda a better pick for me...

But If $$ was the same price i would have the sprint !!

For you..Only you can decide, You are not really safe asking vfr lovers what to buy!!! :)

good luck......oh yea..get the blue one!!

NN

7. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
  8. jarhead777

jarhead777 New Member

All things being equal go with the better dealler support in your area. Who wants to have a bike they can't ride because its broken, needs service, ect. In my area I would have to go 3-5 hrs to find a Triumph dealer. I love my viffer but to each his own. Good luck.

9. fulcrum

fulcrum New Member

Ricster,

Definitely another vote for ride them both and decide yourself.

I was lusting after a new Sprint since the ST came out, but didn't get an opportunity to ride one. My wife had a test ride of one (she was trying a LOT of deifferent bikes and wasn't even really interested in one) and came home raving about it. I had just test ridden the VFR a week or so before and loved it.

She decided to buy one, so I waited until she got it and then took hers for a spin. I liked it, but I didn't like the handling - it was quick to turn - almost telepathic control - just think and you are there - but there was to me no real feel through the front. I just didn't feel comfy with the feel. Loved the power. Didn't like the heat blowing onto my right leg from the fairings.

I ended up getting the VFR. Steering seems not quite as quick, but I can feel what the front end is doing. I LOVE when the VTEC kicks in (the change in sound puts a smile on my face) and it doesn't boil my legs (handy here as it gets quite hot in summer).

But it was a close call, and came down to personal choice over a few minor things. If the VFR didn't exist I would've been happy with the Sprint.

10. cgsportbike

cgsportbike New Member

I came down to the same two bikes. For me it came down to 3 issues:

1) the heat coming off the Triumph was more than uncomfortable to me.

2) the price -- I saved considerable cash on the VFR.

3) the servicability -- I like to take long, multi-day trips and I figured I'd be much more quick to find service/repair in a remote place for a Honda than I would the Triumph. Of course... it is a Honda and if I take care of it, it should take care of me. I've not heard any negative things about Triumph reliability. In fact, I was told their manufacturing tolerances are among the highest in the industry.

I guess one more thing... I just liked the look and line of the VFR more. However, I did change out the stock exhaust for a Two Brothers Carbon 4 to 1 with a cool "stealth" matching storage can for the other side. Pretty trick look.

Good luck choosing. I've not once regretted my decision and I'm pushing 10,000 miles on my 05 already!

11. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    Reading the responses its amazing to me...I thought I was alone. I started my quest owning a ripping 135HP FZ1 which I liked, but wanted something different. The R1200S was my first choice, but so expensive. Then I focused on the Sprint St as I used to Run a Yamaha/triumph shop,but couldn't find the right deal. I am now putting together my deal on an 04 VFR for many of the same reasons previously stated especially about the dealer network and reliability, MUCH cheaper for equally as good a bike easily.

12. Howardbj

Howardbj New Member

Big choice - VFR or Triumph ST. I've had my '04 VFR for 2 years, 10K miles. Not one single problem. I had a Triumph 4 years, and 3 bikes ago. It developed a problem with a cylendar cutting out that the shop couldn't fix and I got so frustrated I traded it for a Kawi. I test drove a Rocket III a year or so ago and I swear it was smoking somewhat when I returned to the dealer. With last year's Sprint, the bags were all recalled and replaced. Bottomline for me, was reliability and the VFR is by far the most reliable bike I've ever owned. Triumph - still a question mark to me. With the VFR, I've added a Givi windshield, Corbin Seat, Helibars and it's just a superb ride. For the $$$ I don't think you can go wrong.

13. MrHEAT

MrHEAT New Member

I just bought a 06 vfr the day before thanksgiving-i had researched it for a long time-- and am very happy with it,but the main reason i bought it was the price- a deal too good to pass up.I was leary about the 800 cc's, thinking biger is better but after putting 400 miles on it i gotta tell you it's a blast to drive,when the vtec kicks in its like you hit the after burner-gets you to 100 mph real fast.Know matter what you buy-- if your "normal" you will always want something better and there are just too many bikes to choose from,i know this will not be my last bike,but when i do buy another,im gunna keep the vfr.

14. Spike

Spike New Member

Those bikes are so close, it really comes down to what moves you the most. Neither of them will probly be bad for you. What makes your heart go pitter patter when you see it? That is probly the one you should get.

15. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Spike's right, both are so damn good!

I love the VFour Gear driven Cam sound, and I bet the Ducati VFour will be incredible. A friend just got the Triumph, but he kept a VFR 500 just to keep a VFour in the stable.
    This is the reason that many of us have too many bikes (if there:biggrin: 's such a thing!)

16. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    The Triumph looks a good machine with UK's BIKE Mag rating it above the VFR as an ST. Mind it does still have quality issues like belows thread on its rear suspensions drag link bolt bending or breaking.

http://tinyurl.com/jqjsf

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    One thing missing in all this cept from Legs,, maybe spike, as the ST don't have a V4, so that said it's not even in the same league, as far as bike and what it does, yep, damn close, but for me it's in the heart of the beast that matters. unless someone else can match this VFR V4 user friendlyness, do everything, it's the machine for me.

Don't get me going about that 1098.. LOL

18. Spike

Spike New Member

It is a triple though, so it has it's own personality. If I really liked the rest of the bike over the details of the VFR, that wouldn't hold me back. Again, like I said, what moves you? If it is that V4 sound and personality, than that is what you should go for

19. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    All the reveiws I've read on the Sprint have been glowing, but I only recall reading one shoot out results where it was pitted against a VFR. Generally its been placed in the same catagory as the Honda ST in most I have read through. Price wise a bit more than the VFR & a bit less than the Ducati ST2-ST4. If I remember correctly the one shoot out against the VFR the only reason the VFR did'nt take the win was lack of factory hard bags(older test as I beleive they are now available, correct?) It wins over the Ducati due to ergo's(Ducati has a more canted forward position & higher pegs). Triumph has come a long way from the problems they had in the past decade of so( oil leakage etc) you really can't go wrong either way.

20. RacerX

RacerX New Member

Map
    vfr vs sprint

I had both at the dealer show room at the end of year bargen priced
    Plus my trade in . price was not an issue
    vfr had abs the sprint had bags . I can add bags
    sprint has 125 horse power vfr 103 I like power
    the vfr is black and I did not like the way the tail kicked up on the sprint
    Out on a tour the honda wont break and the parts can be gotten at a honda dealer.
    so alittle shy on power (think about riding at night in the rain when tired looking for a hotel off the interstate . smoth power is a good thing.)
    I bought the vfr:biggrin: