2006 service intervals????

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by madmax3022, May 26, 2009.

1. madmax3022

madmax3022 New Member

Map
    can somebody tell me when i should be getting my bike serviced and which ones will cost the most? i've been reading some other posts and the general idea is 24000kms and anywhere between $300-1000........ i've got 26000 up and she gets ridden mostly 110-140kph when on open roads, loves passing cars etc. She runs great and i havn't noticed any probs yet

2. Bad Boy

Bad Boy New Member

Your owner's manual has the schedule. If you lost that get a shop manual now. Many would consider the maintenance schedule over kill though. If you want to be anal follow the schedule. There are some expensive items that can be stretched out. Valve adjustments for one. I would skip them all together. At most check it once at 50,000 km for piece of mind. The money you would save over the life of the bike would more than pay for a replacement engine. The risk of engine damage from a tight valve is very low. I have 120,000 km and needed no adjustments in two checks.

The pricey iridium plugs don't wear out either. At least 100,000 km

Stick to the schedule on oil 10k km, filters 20k km, and fluids 20k km. Keep the chain oiled 800 km.

3. VIFFERMAN03

VIFFERMAN03 New Member

Map
    VFR Servicing

I took my '03 in for the 25k service last year at just over 28k. They replaced the plugs when I thought they would not be due yet. Talk about pricey. They re-shimmed one front intake and two rear intakes. With the oil/filter, lube, etc. it set me back CDN$950. $680 of that was labor.:frown:

I lube the chain about every 400km and still on original with 34000+ km.

My stator was totally fried end of last month. Put out just enough juice to run the bike after a jump start. And that set me back $662.

Other than that, only tires and oil/filter changes.

Brake pads are due soon.

4. Worldrider

Worldrider New Member

Map
    I also just got dinged on the 25k service. Valves also needed to be shimmed, which made me feel better about taking it in. Did all fluids, plus new brakes front and rear, cost me $1500C.
    Am curious what would have happened to valves had I waited until 50,000km to check them?

5. Bad Boy

Bad Boy New Member

You would have saved some significant cash. Valves tend to tighten over time as the valve seat wears away. This happens very slowly though particularly with the quality of this bike. If the valve clearance gets to less than zero the valve does not close and escaping exhaust gas can burn the valve or seat. It would be a very remote chance of this to happen in the life of the bike. Even if valves are out of spec. it does not mean valves will fail. Performance is not affected unless the clearance is excessively loose and then they would make noise. This is even less likely to happen.

When it only took 45 minutes to check the valves on a 1982 CB650 it made sense. When it takes 8 hours to do the job one could save 1/3 of the cost of the bike over its life buy skipping it. With EBay A used engine can be had for the cost of one or two valve adjusts. A gambling man could easily reason valve adjustments are not cost effective.