2007 6th gen, ABS, High/Low headlight 20a fuse keeps blowing when ignition turn on. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by cb900c777, Jul 31, 2016.

1. cb900c777

cb900c777 New Member

United States
    I read through many posts but can't find the answer. My 2007 ABS interceptor with 19k miles just started blowing headlight fuses. As soon as I replace and turn on bike it blows the high/low again. Since I read that Honda only put the headlights on a dedicated 20a fuse, I'm hoping someone can help me isolate the problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. cb900c777

cb900c777 New Member

United States
    Updates.. still digging into the issue. I unplugged both high beams and both low beams. As I plug each one back on, turning ignition on /off each time, I was able to plug in both high beams and the fuse did NOT blow. However, when I added the left low beam, fuse blew. I'm not sure if this helps but maybe it rings a bell with someone.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Sounds like you have already narrowed down the location of the fault.

I am however only familiar with European spec headlights - which use 4 individual H7 bulbs 2 for low and 2 for high beam, so testing is relatively easy.

I have a feeling US spec VFRs have something different so you really need to dig out the US spec manual to identify how its is wired and the wiring colours.

Inherently you seem to be saying the bike is fine except when the left low beam bulb is plugged in. So I would focus my attention there. First check the obvious by testing the bulb/bulb carrier is not fused internally - if its a bi filament unit check both elements separately - do this away from the bike by hooking the bulb across a 12v supply (even a 9v smoke alarm cell would work for testing). (NB avoid touching the halogen bulb with your fingers - if you need to hold it wrap it in kitchen paper roll to prevent moisture/grease from your fingers getting on the bulb and seriously reducing its lifespan).

Assuming the bulb is not blown, then you are probably looking at some sort of damage to the section of exposed wiring leading to the left low beam bulb. Check with a decent torch/ possibly feel along it - is there any sign of exposed wires? Look closely at locations where the wire may have been misrouted and been trapped or chafing against the bulb housing or other wires?

That section of wiring is also in the potential impact zone for stones being flung up by the front wheel and rebounding off the fork tubes - so impact damage may be internal with nothing external to spot.

If you find nothing obvious, then its time for the multi-meter to test the incoming leads 2 or 3? to that bulb. With the keys out one lead only should test as a decent earth and the other(s) should only deliver 12v with the ignition turned on (one with low beam the other with high). Your wiring diagram should identify which colour wire is which. If you find more than one wire is strongly grounded (Note headlights tend to be wired in pairs so you may get a poor quality earth showing up from flow through the parallel bulb) then its a matter of locating and rectifying the defective wire(s). As access may be an issue you may end up removing fairing panels or could find it easier to simply cut out/replace the suspect wiring - than to try try and locate and patch the fault in situ.

If you find one of the live side feeds is grounded - then with the test probe still in situ, try flexing the cable progressively along its length to see if the short to earth suddenly ceases. If that happens you should peel back the cable sleeve and locate where the wire(s) are shorting to the earth and then use insulation tape/heat shrink to separate the wires again.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

4. cb900c777

cb900c777 New Member

United States
    Thanks for the advise. I was able to pinpoint the problem. Looks like the left low beam socket was melted, causing a short. I'm off to track down the replacement part.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Do you have HID lights? If so, are you starting the bike with the high beams turned on?

I used to have HID both high and low. Without fail, if my high beams were turned on, when I fired up the bike from cold, the HID lights, warming up all four at one time, was drawing far too much current for that 20a fuse to handle and it blew. HID are illegal here now so I switch to PIAAS which i like better anyways. Problem gone.

With the HID, if you fire up the bike with just the lows on, wait about 15 second for them to warm up, then turn on the high beams, you will be all good. And so long as you don't allow those lights to cool too much, you should be able to fire it up without blowing a fuse.

I find it odd that Honda would put all four lights on one fuse. There should be at least two fuses. A fuse failure at night in the rain outside the city could be catastrophic.

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Might want to inspect all the connectors while you are there. Especially the R&R, stator and the main 30AMP fuse.
    QUOTE=cb900c777;526603]Thanks for the advise. I was able to pinpoint the problem. Looks like the left low beam socket was melted, causing a short. I'm off to track down the replacement part.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

7. Dufferman

Dufferman New Member

This is exactly the problem i have with my 2004 VFR Vtec 800 abs model. What was your exact fix.

Thanks

8. Dufferman

Dufferman New Member

Hard to believe but honda did this. All lights on one fuse. I was that lone soldier in the dark on a rainy night many miles from home.

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Make sure the taillight connections are perfect-it will blow the fuse if not making a great connection- it caused me great trouble-I replaced the taillight with a OEM and soldered the connections with silver solder taped it up real good, make sure to place spares fuse's. Put electrical grease on headlight connections. The famous wolfee Know everything.