2013 Europe Rides - what are you planning?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by skimad4x4, Feb 14, 2013.

1. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    In much of Europe, winter is still with us, but its probably time to post up details of events during 2013 which may be of interest, and perhaps we can arrange for some of the European contingent to meet up.

If you are planning any events in Europe this year, which are open to others, then please post up your own plans in this thread.

To start the ball rolling here are a few meetings I definitely plan to attend.

14th SPADINO MEMORIAL RIDE on Sunday 7 April. This tends to be the first major event of the Alpine motorbiking season - and even then there is usually loads of snow on the road side. - The "Spadino Memorial Ride" to the Mont Blanc Tunnel - honours a fallen biker, and hero of the appalling tunnel fire in 1999. It's partly a celebration of getting the bikes out of winter storage but also a massive demonstration of biker solidarity, with thousands of riders converging on the tunnel entrances from all over Europe (last year I met riders from Netherlands, Romania, and Portugal).

Last year, I was just one of over 6,000 bikers attending, and snow, rain or hurricane permitting I plan to be there again this year too. More information about "Spadino" and this years event is here. Mémorial Spadino 2013 > [Fédération Française des Motards en Colère]
    There are plenty of videos of this event on YouTube or send me a PM and I can send full details

ulysses-club.de are hosting a large meeting in the Black Forest from 17 to 20 May. Its an international meeting for riders over 40 based in Hotel Belchenblich. They will be arriving around 7pm on Friday 17 May with organised rides on 18 and 19th before heading home on the morning of 20 May. More information and videos of last year are here - GERMANY MEETING 2013 (There are only a couple of rooms left in the hotel so if you are interested contact Gernot or Uwe - they both speak English).

The 2013 Burn Mountain Festival runs from Friday 19 June to Sunday 21 June. Hosted by the SAMVA moto club, it is a 3 day Rock Music and motorbiking festival located in the Alps. Entry is FREE and there is also free camping. In addition to trials biking demonstrations in the main arena, there are organised group rides around the mountains, treasure hunts and skills challenges. If you scroll Down and Down and Down the following link you will get a flavour of last year's mayhem! Burn Mountain Rock 2012

So what have you got planned?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Thanks for posting up, I wish I can be there for the ride. France me ma manque.

3. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    Hey,

I have a bike reserved out of Munich on Sept 8 - 18th. Planning spending the 10 days riding alps. However, there is a development here that may keep me from doing it. Riding with people or some suggestions on the roads would be great.

-B

4. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Hey Marrib,

This website lists loads of biker suggested routes which may be of interest. Roadbook moto: tlchargez nos roadbooks gps moto

Obviously on a clear day you will find the major Alpine passes like Glossglockner, Stelvio and Petit St Bernard - can offer that great combination of stunning views and flowing bends. But don't be tempted to fill every day of your visit, as even in mid summer you can get the odd atrocious weather day. So its worth having some bad weather fall-back plans. Doggedly sticking to a planned route in the wrong weather can quickly turn a dream ride into a nightmare. Riding an unfamiliar switchback road (most without safety guard rails and massive drops) especially in fog or falling snow (even in July) can be very scary. So check the weather every day as the forecast can change dramatically overnight.

But the Alps have loads of other attractions to visit if the conditions are poor. Its often worth checking out the area you want to visit using the satellite view available on google-earth. This can reveal the location of hidden lakes, impressive dams, and bridges which you might ride straight past which can be a great place for a picnic stop.

If you were intending to visit my neighbourhood in the north western section of the Alps (near Lake Geneva/Leman), then it may be possible to meet up for a ride when you are over. You will find some of my favourite runs are illustrated and there are video links for a lot of other brilliant rides in the Route Planning Hints section of this link. Touring Routes Enjoy!

skimad

5. richiec

richiec New Member

Just been browsing the Touring Routes page, loads of useful info.

We're coming over for a short trip the first week in July - last week before the French School Holidays !

Calais to Nancy ( overnight stop )
    Nancy to Andermatt ( 3 nights )
    Andermatt to Seebach via B500 ( 2 nights )
    Seebach to Dinant ( overnight stop )
    Dinant to Calais

Currently looking at Swiss Vignettes - As we're only there for 3 nights planning to buy one, keep visible in tank bag then sell on ebay when we get back. Or do they have to be mounted on your screen ?

Any recommendations for must see attractions / sights welcome.

Rich

6. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Beware of sticking a swiss motorway vignette in a tank bag as you still face a big fine if you are checked as the pass is only valid when it is physically stuck to your screen. I know the vignette sounds expensive if you are only planning a single motorway run in Switzerland but their motorways have decent signposting and are well maintained. Signs on minor roads are minimalist and at junctions it can be quite confusing as to which road to take. A GPS with an up to date mapping can really help.

Obviously if you are not in a rush, you do not have to buy a vignette to use their local roads but much lower speed limits apply. There are loads of digital speed cameras on motorways and local routes and the fines are hefty! A vignette is only mandatory if you use any section of road marked as a motorway - which have GREEN signs (local roads have BLUE signs). If you decide to stick to the local roads it is easy to be caught out as several of the French/German motorways continue as motorway after it crosses the Swiss border in which case you will be stopped and forced to purchase a vignette by checks at the border control as you have already arrived in Switzerland on a motorway. They will fix it firmly to your screen!

A motorway vignette cost 40CHF (£28) its the same fee for cars and motorbikes. However it can save a heap of time and fuel if you are simply intending to transit across Switzerland. A North South transit route would be around 4 hours by Motorway and over 9 hours on local roads. A vignette is not transferrable and is nominally valid for a calendar year - although they are actually on sale and OK for use from December the previous year through to January the year after. You can get a vignette from the staff at most border crossingsand also from filling stations close to the Swiss Border.

Any decent map will show there are some great biking roads in the mountain passes around Andermat likewise the Black Forest has plenty of very twisty roads to enjoy. It is worth spending some time with a decent map and Google Earth in satellite view mode to work out what places of interest you really must visit.

7. richiec

richiec New Member

Thanks for the info and will fix the vignette to my screen - You're not on commission are you ?

I've bought the book "Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps" so am busy planning our trip, will get onto Google Earth.

8. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Oh I wish I was on commission :)

The Swiss border is one mile up the road, and the swiss motorway system is a lot nearer than any French Autoroute - so every year I end up paying for vignettes for my car and my VFR.

The scary thing is that the Swiss have just decided that the price of annual Vignettes will more than double from calendar year 2015 rising from 40CHF to 100 CHF! In a sop to short term visitors they propose to offer short term vignettes valid for 2 months at the old 40CHF price. Société | En 2015, la vignette autoroute à 100 francs