2014 VFR800 Deluxe vs 2014 Ninja 1000, I'll start

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by jeepinoutwest, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Don't get a Harley.

2. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like your set on the Ninja. Only you know what you really want. I'm going to say VFR but what would you expect. Go to a ninja forum and I'm sure you will hear how great it is .

3. jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest New Member

Yeah i did post in both places to get feedback from both sides. Tough call.

4. Skifreak

Skifreak New Member

United States
    Map
    I would think riding position would dictate the purchase. If you can do a full day in the saddle in one but not the other, then the choice is obvious. It stinks to be uncomfortable on a bike after an only an hour.

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think you have to count on a custom seat and suspension components that match the rider. Motorcycles aren't sweatpants.

6. edk800f1

edk800f1 New Member

Map
    Where did you get the performance figures from? Are those 6th Gen?
    I sure hope that the 6th Gen had RR issues better sorted than the 5Gen, do ALL Honda's suffer RR issues?
    I'm seriously looking for an ABS replacement for my 1998, would like to consider the Ninja, but I also have a hard time warming up to its looks.

7. jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest New Member

The performance figures are from my internet search of the current model in production in Europe. Due to the lack of advertising on 2014 engine enhancements it does appear that the motor will carry over pretty much unchanged as far as power output. For now its the best I can get and I did state I got the closest numbers I could realistically get right now. If there is any bump in power it will be very small. I also searched for any known issues and the one that kept coming back for all different model years was the rectifier issue, usually on higher mileage examples. Of course there are other issues but they seemed more isolated, so in fairness I did not mention them.

8. waterdude141

waterdude141 New Member

Actually, most insurance companies also factor in how many of that model/make are insured across the board. The more of that type of vehicle is insured, the higher the rate is.

9. edk800f1

edk800f1 New Member

Map
    Huh?
    I can't imagine a reason for that.
    I suppose that if it was some (extremely) limited production, so they'd all be display bikes instead of being ridden, but other than that...

10. 4thGenVFR

4thGenVFR New Member

Map
    For that price I wouldn't buy either I would by two classic's ( insert Your favorite classic > _____________ )

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Buy a Harley and move to Washington State No bike insurance required.

12. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

Map
    I was considering a Ninja 1000 myself. I also like the 14 model and for the way I ride, it would do me pretty well. But so does the VFR that I just got as well.

I almost bought a new left over Ninja 1000 until I checked the insurance on it. I am a 37 year old male with a perfect driving record and many years on bikes. Cheapest decent full coverage I could find on the Ninja 1000 was $189 a month !! My VFR is for the same coverage is $41 dollars a month, (but it is an 06' bike too) A few other bikes that I was looking at new were in the $70-$90 range, all the same coverage's. For me, that is part of the cost of ownership and should be considered with the bike too. And get this, a new 2014 BMW F800GT was only $40 a month, again for the same coverage.

Now as far as the bikes.....

I would like to have ABS. I have never needed it on anything I have owned but I still think it would be nice.

Traction Control.... I could care less about that one! I have right and left hands and a brain. That's all the traction control I need.

Comfort is a big thing for me too. Spend some time sitting on them if you can. No bike it perfect off of the floor.

If cost is no big deal, I think both machines would make good bikes.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  13. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map
    I've owned several Kwaka's & to be honest they are hard to fault, never had any problems apart from speeding fines. Choosing a new bike is pretty exciting & the fact that you have got down to two possible choices is admirable.
    Asking advice from other people is bit like asking your buddies which of your girlfriends you should marry. Some will ask which one is the better cook, nicest personality, family & so on. But the reality comes down to which one they would prefer to bonk & be seen with in public after.

14. boscoe

boscoe New Member

I've ridden both, though older versions. My 2000 VFR and a 2011 or 2012 Ninja 1000 (at Bike Week). My impression: Kawi was relatively gutless for 1K bike, blah brakes, looked and felt cheap. My 14-year-old Honda still has better fit and finish.
    Not be an ass, but you couldn't GIVE me a Ninja 1000. POS. But haven't they upgraded the 2014?

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ I like your thinking, Gen 4 of course. But boy oh boy they are getting hard to come by in decent shape and unmolested. but yea that price is going to make folks look at other models. you can get a pretty nice semi used 1198 Duc for that. ;)

16. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I think my insurance is about $125 a year, I am not impressed by these new bikes at all. The Honda is all ways better made then the kaw. I think Bad Billy should get the Kaw-on second thought I don't think even Billy would stoop down to bu:smiley_simmons::jaw:y a kaw.

17. SHvar

SHvar New Member

United States
    I updated the comparison on the VFR800 Deluxe model side.
    -----------------------2014 Ninja 1000---------------------------------2014 Honda VFR 800

Price------------------$11,999.00-------------------------------------- $13,499.00 Deluxe model/$12,499 for standard model
    Weight-----------------509lbs-------------------------------------------536lbs
    Horsepower------------125bhp at rear wheel--------------------------?bhp at rear wheel
    Brakes-----------------high end monoblock-----------------------------high end monoblock
    Suspension-----High end adjustable with hand knob------------------ adjustable rebound damping and spring preload on the fork and a remote hydraulic spring preload adjuster on the rear
    final drive------------chain-----------------------------------------------chain
    Traction Control:------4 stage with rain mode--------------------------2 modes, on or off
    ABS--------------------standard------------------------------------------standard
    Swingarm-------------conventional--------------------------------------single sided
    Centerstand-----------not available--------------------------------------standard
    Heated grips----------kawasaki option-----------------------------------standard
    gear position indicator---not available-----------------------------------standard
    self canceling turn signals--not available---------------------------------standard
    seat height ---------------32.3---------------------------------------------31 or 31.8
    quarter mile--------------10.6 sec-----------------------------------------11.3 sec
    0-60-----------------------3.0 sec------------------------------------------3.0 sec
    top speed-----------------150mph GPS------------------------------------146 mph?
    Variable value timing-----no------------------------------------------------yes
    Luggage------perfectly integrated givi factory option---------------------Honda matching integrated luggage optional
    build quality--------------8 of 10-------------------------------------------9 of 10
    alternator output---336w, 136w reserve max, unconfirmed #s---------470w, 110w reserve max/unconfirmed
    Engine maps------2 maps, full power and 70% power rain mode-------1 map full power
    MPG-----------------------39 mpg------------------------------------------50 mpg plus, reported by multiple owners already
    Valve Adjustments-------15K-----------------------------------------------16K valve check
    Lights---------------------Halogen-------------------------------------------LED headlamps, LED accent lighting, LED taillamps, bulbs in turn signals
    Know issues----need to bleed oil at oil change to prevent cavitation-----none
    Seating position-----Stock all day comfortable sport touring--------------some weight on wrists, very comfortable easy to ride all day
    Available accessories---heated grips----------------------------------------13.5mm bar risers/6.5mm back, quick shifter, hard luggage, 12 v outlet/outside of the US Akropovic slip-on

18. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    For that price, you could get 4.3 fifth gen bikes.....just sayin'....

19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    To me it sure would be cool to have a brand new bike once. I probably never will buy one, but that new 800 that goes back towards the 5th gen but still puts some nice modern touches on it is pretty sweet. They did at least half of what we asked for and that's something.

Does it make everyone happy? Nope. <--- Sure fire sign of good compromise.

What is VFR known for? Best compromise of SPORT-touring middleweight.

20. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Can't please everyone. People, its a sport tourer. Its made to carve up the back roads on 300 mile days, not carve up the track 20 mins at a time. You don't need inverted forks, 150hp, or 300lbs of weight loss to do what the VFR is intended to do.

It seems what people want is a bike that has CBR1000RR power and handling, ST1300 comfort, BMW S1000RR electronics all at a CBR250 price. Ain't gonna happen folks. If you want all that, you're gonna have to buy separate bikes. IMO, the VFR is one very fine all around motorcycle, probably the closest thing to renaissance bike perfection.

Mike Rennie likes this.