2014 VFR800 Deluxe vs 2014 Ninja 1000, I'll start

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by jeepinoutwest, Mar 4, 2014.

1. thor294

thor294 New Member

Don't buy a harley.

Buy an older gen VFR. my 86 turns more heads than any bike of my friends (all have ninjas/harleys/etc.) and not to mention I'm pushing 90 to the rear tire vs 95 for the new one (lol 50 more CC and 28 years of tech only 6 more hp!)

2. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Interesting question. I test rode a 2014 Ninja before getting my current bike; I thought it was going to be the 'right' bike - based on its excellent reviews and strong following (see their forum). It was very easy to ride, willl near full-on sportsbike power. Power modes? Don't bother with low mode, it's fine in standard. But, it had a horrible vibration buzz at mid revs which made my back end numb after a few minutes - not nice. And I didn't really gel with the bike. In the end, I bought a 1999 VFR800 for a quarter of the price and love it. Ok, no ABS or traction control, so I'm careful to ride well within its and my capabilities. It's all about how you feel after riding them, but I definitely wouldn't rule out older VFRs (especially 5th or 6th Gen - suggest you try both, I think they feel different from each other); think what you could do with the $$$ saving!

3. hallford

hallford New Member

Map
    I test rode a Ninja 1000 at a demo day when it came out, it was probably the most comfortably ride I have ever had on a sportbike. The rear suspension was a blessing for a large person. The "tour guides" pushed our group 17 miles in excess of 100mph at some points and I was impressed. That being said, I got by VFR1200 much cheaper and won't look back on the purchase. The people I know in the insurance biz had indicated that (locally at least) sportbike insurance is based mostly on the cc's. I am 30 and pay $53 a month with state farm for full coverage. (the 07 800 I looked at was going to be $40)

4. SammichTheStout

SammichTheStout New Member

Having just bought the 2014 VFR deluxe in white last week, I vote VFR. If you get an up close look at one, spend some time noticing all of the incredibly anal attention to detail and minutia. Everything on mine is *perfect*, fit & finish, ride quality (Much improved over previous gens), the lack of a VTEC hit (but still with the howly-growly sound). This thing drives like a BMW K1600GT at high speed. It is that stable and smooth (without the absurd K1600GT power on tap though...) IMO apart from the 1199 Panigale S, they're the best brakes on any production bike I've yet had the chance to ride.

Not having ridden the Ninja 1000, I'd still say VFR because I feel like I got $16,000 of bike for $13,002 (reflecting $497 of dealer cash). I highly doubt I could say the same of that Ninja though.

5. thor294

thor294 New Member

You're like 5 feet from me.

Can you do me a favor... go to Flemington Circle Yamaha and dyno your bike when you are ready? :) I pulled 90 HP on my 86 VFR750. I want to see how the new one compares. Maybe we can do a dyno day lol ! They offer free dyno pulls on Fridays

6. SammichTheStout

SammichTheStout New Member

I'm getting an Akra slip on for it in a few weeks at its 600 mile service. So I'll ask for a before and after dyno report from Montgomeryville Cycle Center over in PA where it will be installed free with the service.
    I'm also trying to get some locals together for a twisty road ride in August. The regional board - Anyone in NJ thread has the request out on the board. http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/855-Anyone-in-NJ/page2

7. SHvar

SHvar New Member

United States
    I looked at a bunch of used VFR800s before getting the 2014, the average price was between $3600 (high mileage)-$8000, for anywhere from 1998 through 2007 plus, the closest available were in another state. Most of these used VFR800s were several states away.
    I decided to buy the 2014, it was what I was hoping for if they brought it back. At that time I was not interested in anyones used bike, let alone a used bike older than the bike I was trading in. I could care less if I could get 8 of them for the same price, thats not what I wanted. I wanted that beautiful new VFR800F in red with anti lock brakes, etc etc. I wanted a new bike that no one else has ridden, owned, dropped, crashed, modified, or were trying to sell because of unseen issues with the engine or transmission, etc. I wanted a full warranty like the last Honda sportbike I bought new and kept for over 14 years. I even got the same trade in price as what I was offered by a few people to buy the bike from me (those people lolly-gagged around holding the process up for weeks so I traded it).
    Here she is the day I picked her up, sitting a few feet away from the spot where the CBR600 I bought over 14 years ago was sitting in the showroom. Also the last photo taken of my old CBR before I traded it.
    IMG_0335[1].jpg IMG_0334[1].jpg

8. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on your new ride. Sometime theres no substitute for that new bike smell. Everybody always has a brighter idea, you know whats best for you. Go break that thing in!

9. thor294

thor294 New Member

Having an "unmolested" bike sure is nice haha. congrats on the buy!

10. Gixxer

Gixxer New Member

I had a 2006 VFR and traded for a 2011 Ninja 1000. Looked at the new VFR but I'm staying with the ninja. It's just a better bike and value.

11. SHvar

SHvar New Member

United States
    I have over 2000 miles on the 2014 VFR800FD now. The handling and brakes are amazing, its the best handling bike Ive ever ridden, it inspires more confidence riding it fast, and I can ride it all day without being tired out or sore.
    The sound, that is just intoxicating.

12. signal

signal Definitely Not New Member

United States
    really glad to hear you are enjoying your new VFR! I wish more people would buy them and chime in here. People bitched for that bike to come to the US, and Honda delivered!

I bought my '03 VFR800 used. I have dumped so much money in this bike. Sure I have made some really nice upgrades to it, but I spent a few thousand just on service and replacing some worn/abused/broke parts.

New bike is awesome, clean, no skeletons, warranty.

13. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    makes little sense to me on new anything when old is less than half price, my old bike is better-its broken in and I lost little money on if I sell it. People buy bikes and put them in a old barn and forget about them! Then I get the bike for little dough,

14. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    Of course that's your opinion. If I were going to compare the Ninja 1000 it woulnt be to a interceptor 800. It would be more in the 1200 VFR class.

15. Gixxer

Gixxer New Member

I added a topcase. It's kinda like driving a station wagon now lol

I just needed some storage space. I had saddle bags on my VFR which were nice but the topcase is more useful.

Attached Files:

16. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    It sure lights the back of the bike up. You will be seen.

17. vfrfly

vfrfly New Member

What you really need is a 2010 Gixxer1k.
    And its your lucky day as i just happen to be selling mine. :)