4,250 miles...10 days...VFR

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by raisin75, Sep 3, 2008.

1. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Good stuff Raisin, Yessir; coffee, pie, and ice cream. Does wonders for the ragged out biker!

2. raisin75

raisin75 New Member

Day 3...I think. I've lost track of time during the trip.

nova scotia trip 016.jpg
    Nice morning in NY.
    nova scotia trip 017.jpg
    nova scotia trip 018.jpg
    Just outside of Glen Falls.
    nova scotia trip 019.jpg
    Bob's still back there. I can't lose him.

We slept in a little until about 9:30, and we we got out, the morning was very nice and sunny. It was going to be a good day. We stopped down the street to fill up with gas and started toward Vermont. Highway 4 was just down the road. We had to pass through some small town road construction about 15 minutes into the ride, but once past that, the ride was very nice, and route 4 is a very nice 2 lane through the remainder of NY. We stopped just short of entering Vermont, in Whitehall, to grab a snack. We hadn't ridden very far, but we had made good time yesterday, and an extra little stop today was called for.

nova scotia trip 022.jpg
    nova scotia trip 023.jpg
    nova scotia trip 024.jpg

Going into Vermont, route 4 was a very good road, going through some towns, but also lots of wide open 4 lane. This was my first time into this part of the country, never having been in VT, NH, of ME. It would prove to be good riding, for the most part. Route 4 would drop us out onto I-91 just north of Russtown, and we stayed on 91 until St. Johnsbury, where we got on Highway 2. Now this is my kind of riding. Well paved 2 lane with nice sweepers through some small towns. We stopped at a small grocery/gas station/restaurant in Lunenburg. Good choice! We were pretty hungry by now, as it was around 3:00, and I had the best steak and cheese sub ever. I may ride back up there just for a sub.

nova scotia trip 025.jpg
    This is the place!

Once we got through New Hampshire, route 2 in Maine was a disaster. The pavement ended on us about 3 times, and I decided that Alaska was a go. If I could ride this road on my VFR, surely Alsaka couldn't throw much else at me. Okay, well maybe not, but it sucked. There were also way too many stops in too many small towns. But after 30 or 40 miles, it did finally open up and turned into some nice riding. We decided to get off before it got bad again, and took route 139 to I-95.

Once on I-95, we picked up the pace and stopped at a great truck stop restaurant just west of Bangor. I had some soup, Bob had steak tips, and we discussed the rest of the night. At first, we planned to ride another couple of hundred miles north of Bangor and get close to New Brunswick, but then I thought about the Cat Ferry. We had thought about taking the Cat Ferry over today, but we decided we couldn't get there by 4:45 pm. Which was the last out from Bar Harbor. We called and scheduled the 3 hour trip over for the next morning at 8 am. I called Priority Club and got a free room in Bar Harbor for the night for a lavish 25,000 points. Oh well, it was worth the stay right next door to where the Cat Ferry leaves.

3. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the update, I've never been to that part of the country, and now I want to. Good stuff raisin. Sorry it took a few days to post. I liked the part about the screwed up roads, I've had that happen to me before.