4th gen replacement carb vacuum piston diaphragms

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by YoshiHNS, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    I've used Bosch Rubber Grease RG4 to keep the rubber alive in car brakes, with great success.

Makes slipping on tight seals, rubber hoses, etc. a lot easier also.

It says on the tube:
    "High performance castor oil based grease designed to preserve and lubricate plastics, rubber and components such as o-rings, valves, diaphragms, cups and seals."

So I assume this might be one way to try and help the diaphragms live another day? [​IMG]

Riding on the storm

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I don't believe any grease is good on diaphragms.

3. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    So if they dry up from the bioethanol blended fuel, your bike is a rolling lawn ornament?

Riding on the storm

4. MechTech

MechTech New Member

United States
    The key is to use just enough to shine up the rubber without leaving an obvious film. Rub it in well and it should work just fine. BTW I don't run ethanol fuel in any of my vehicles, including my mower, dirt bike, or boat. The stuff is pure crap and has been forced on us by lobbyests and politicians. It takes 1.7 times the amount of energy to produce ethanol as the energy that the ethanol contains. There are no redeeming qualities.

Blackslide and squirrelman like this.
  5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Ya know that the Trumpster, as a gift to the midwest farmers and to compensate them for the business they lost due to his tariffs, is proposing to go to 15% ethanol in pump gas ?? Worst prez in my lifetime, the lying stupid piece of shit.

6. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    Issue here is that in 2014 or so, they enforced 10% ethanol in 95 oct. and 5% in 98 oct. gasoline. We don't have anything else at the pump, anywhere in the whole country. Well, those, and diesel. Which in some pumps is 100% biocrap that blocks filters and causes issues in pumps, injectors, etc.

+98 comes at a premium here. So I was forced to switch to 98E5, because my old banger wanted about 20% more of that 95e10 crap, than it used to use plain 95..

Some of the newer ('00 and onward) cars cope okay with 95e10, but some, especially older engines struggle.

Oh, we can buy ethanol free gas from some hardware stores, but the price is arou d 10-20€/litre, which is insane for plain 95oct non ethanol gas.. they do atvertise it at chemical based, etc. but it's a robbery.

Riding on the storm