4th Gen Tachometer issue.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by miketherider, Oct 24, 2009.

1. miketherider

miketherider New Member

Just picked up a 1994 VFR750F today with 49000 miles. Bought it as a commuter and am only the third owner. It has some cosmetic issues but runs like a top and appears to have a solid in and out.

Everything electrical on the bike works, except for the tachometer. It's dead as rock. The previous owner, who had it for about 3 years, said it never worked for him either. The bike had been kept outside at some point in it's lifetime, so I'm assuming it may have a bad connection somewhere(?).

Is there a particular area I should start at and be looking for something? Not sure if it's a chronic problem with these. Speedometer also seems to, well, almost lag at times. Maybe a connection that is failed? Any input or location to start is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    The tach may be connected at the fuel pump relay with a single yellowish wire, so look there. ( Bullet-type plug)

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Signal

It is a shared signal so I would assume if it runs that the coil is sending it as the fuel pump relay would not fire if it was not. Th connector is located off the main harness just to the right of the dash.Check to see if it is plugged in and from there we will need a meter , but not a big deal to trouble shoot.Squirrel is correct in that it is a single wire , yellow with a blue or green stripe with bullet connector and should stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009