4th gen to 6th gen to 5th gen

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by slowbird, Jun 6, 2016.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    So long story short someone cut me off while riding my beloved 4th gen home. It got written off and 2 weeks later I replaced it with a 2005 VFR800.

Right away I noticed a few things. Good and bad.

Without getting into a 6th gen bash fest I didn't like it. It lacked a lot of the Torque and midrange of the 4th gen and the seat was made of solid granite. (or so it felt)
    :crushed: The throttle was snatchy and sometimes the VTEC engagement was borderline violent. Not to mention the lack of GDC's.

I test rode a few 5th gens and immediately liked them better. I'm now a proud owner of a 2000 5th gen and an eager seller of a 2006 6th gen :livid:

2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    YOU are DA MAN! Pics? Yellow bike?

FIFTH GEN RULES! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

3. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    LOL. Thanks.

No it's red. I was gonna get a yellow one but....the red speaks to me. :strawberry:

IMG_7451.jpg
    VFR.jpg
    vfr1.jpg
    vfr2.jpg

4. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think we got red that year, so yours is extra special.

Very nice!

Carbon fiber muffler? Wow beautiful pipe!

5. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks! I got a VFRness already on order. Gotta find a touring screen, maybe a top rack and perhaps a Sargent seat.

Do you mean in America?

Thanks! It's a Two Brothers pipe. Sounds great! Nice crackles to it occasionally.

6. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes in America 2000 was yellow only.

7. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Coming from a 4th gen, I think the 5th gen is the logical move. There is nothing wrong with a 6th gen, it just doesn't speak to everyone. I was right there with you, I only had mine for a few months.

8. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    There are things about every generation that I like. I think if I was a millionaire I would actually make a frankenVFR, and the base would be the 5th gen for the no-VTEC and GD cams. I'd have them rebuild it with a 6th gen rear end for the sexy under-seat exhaust, and an 8th gen front end and plastics for the sleeker look. No doubt some creativity would be necessary, but hey, I'm rich I can afford it in this fantasy right?

9. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks! I agree completely.

It's a good Idea! The undertail exhaust is the highlight of the 6th gen for me. I'll also miss the hazards/4 ways on the 6th gen.

10. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    ohhhhhhh, yeahhhhhh.. 2 bros hi-mount. I have the same exhaust, I swear the gear whine is louder while riding. VFRness isn't needed. Just solder the new mosfet R/R wires right to the stator wires.

11. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Going from an early 6th Gen to 5th Gen in '05 and I was irrationaly angry at Honda for a time how they fecked the Gen 5s gem of a motor with the Gen 6s "Hyper" VTec, after some therapy I'm over it now though.

12. gorillasnacks

gorillasnacks New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Slowbird,
    Is there a big difference in the seating position between the 5th gen and the 6th gen?

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    My 6th gen motor is great ... just takes a little tinkering and it's actually more fun than the 5th gen motor IMHO.

14. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    There's no question in my mind that the 6th is a much better looking bike than the 5th, and I'd prefer a 43mm fork over the 41mm in the 5th gen. I did ride a couple of 6th gens before I bought my 5th, and really did not like the two-step power that the VTEC system delivered. So I agree that the perfect bike would be a hybrid 5th engine/6th chassis and bodywork. When are Honda releasing that?

In reality, I can understand that the relentless rise of emissions and noise controls means we won't ever get that. :confusion:

15. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Congrats on the purchase Slowbird. Having owned an 85 VF1K, 91, 96, 97, and now a 2000 VFR, I think though the 4th gens were still the favorites, the 2000 is definitely a great bike. The thing I loved most about the 4th gens was the relative ease with which they happily rev. The 5th gen is a close second, and definitley growing on me. If there is one thing I prefer about the fifth gen is it feels more roomy with a bit more leg room than the 4th gens, but that is a very personal preference.

I've got a Sargent seat on the 2000 and it is definitely more comfortable than the stock seat and Ive also added a Givi Top case and rack. If you decide to go for a Givi rack and case, check out the prices of 2nd gear motorsports in Calgary. The prices from 2nd Gear were by far the cheapest of any other supplier when I bought my case and racks. Their prices are listed in US dollars on their eBay site but I took down the phone number and called them and got a far better deal than what the difference would have been with the exchange.

http://stores.ebay.com/2nd-gear-Motorcycle-Deals?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Enjoy the bike. We know you WILL. LOL

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    SMH this is a no brainier, but seeing the 6th was made for how long, I wonder how many folks getting into bikes even know about the 3rd 4th and 5th gens at all considering. The 4th was sportier for sure, but lacking up dates. Hence why the 5th gen, but IMO Honda went the wrong direction from the NR, It went a bit soft, but now owning a 5th gen, cough cough to those that know me, I can say that's an easy fix. Be hard when comparing what Jamie does in the way of front and rear suspension fixes, that a 6th is is superior or even notice, in fact I'm pretty sure what Jamie offers makes it better, but then you can do that too to the 6th. still don't believe a 6th gen owner could tell the diff. Motor wise, this isn't even a competition, 5th gen motor is a take off of the RC45 win win. Yea I get the Vtec move, so like Honda automotive to do that from Acura minded folks sheesh. The shark look of the 6th is so meh, so that's personal like or not. very subjective. Had they gone more CBRish then yea. But all things being, Hondas move for the VFR was to make it more touring than sport. so whats ya going to do. BUT IMO the 5th wins as a better all around-er with soul.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  17. TA-Rocks

TA-Rocks New Member

United States
    Map
    The headlights on the 6th gen use two times the power or twice the bulbs I think. So, if you are piecing em together, then dont forget the electrical for headlights and more. I am so happy with the power of my 5th gen. I have more power than the 6th gens i rode. I ran quite fast at 11.0 This was before the retune and the gear change. I need to run again at the track.

18. TA-Rocks

TA-Rocks New Member

United States
    Map
    I will gladly run ya JEFF... Im light and mine is fast.