5th Gen clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Colin McDonald, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Colin McDonald

Colin McDonald New Member

United States
    I "think" I'm noticing some clutch slippage on my 98 with 37k. I could pull it apart and measure the plates, but if I'm going to pull it apart, for >$200 in parts, why not just do it? So, a couple of questions about best practices:
    1) The metal plates; order new ones, or are the old ones almost certainly good?
    2)OEM friction plates?
    3)release springs? OEM are $3.75 each, crazy not to replace them, but are stiffer aftermarket warranted? My bike is stock except for a full exhaust system and PC5.
    4)Judder spring and seat; any reason to think they need replacing?
    Anything else I'm not thinking of?

2. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    In most clutches I have dealt with, the steel plates were just fine when the friction plates were done. But personally, I would just order new ones to be safe. Mostly because it's a pain in the arse to get the bike opened up, take everything out and then realise that you are missing a part and can't finish the job.

As for springs. IMO it's always worth getting stiffer ones. They just work better in my experience.

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I'd think at 37k the friction plates are ok... what oil you using, LOL, ok let's not go there... clean them with mineral spirits/isopropanol, then a brief soak in clean engine oil. Keep the metal plates, if one is discoloured, then maybe you had some slippage.... judder spring likely good. Inspect the basket for any notches that might hinder plate movement, if minor, touch it up with a file, but I'd expect it to be good. After cleaning, I vote for new springs and a gasket and put it back together. However, as you say, new friction plates aren't a lot of money........
    Flush and bleed the hydraulics, check for worn bushing at the lever...........

4. Colin McDonald

Colin McDonald New Member

United States
    Additional info: third owner, don't know if previous knew how to ride; live in SF bay area, HILLS! Also, last oil change was Redline with OEM filter; first I've done, previous was apparently Rotella.

5. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Screw it then, go for new stuff! At least you won't be thinking about the last guys...... seriously, I'd start fresh in that case.