5th Gen shock and fork question

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Colin McDonald, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Colin McDonald

Colin McDonald New Member

United States
    Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone knew what weight of rider the 1998 VFR was sprung for? I am 240lbs, and am wondering if the bike is sprung for someone much lighter.

Thanks!

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Colin - Welcome to the madhouse.

I cannot answer your question directly as I only have a 6th Gen, where the pertinent information is in the user manual.

You might get some idea of limits for your 5th Gen in the following post assuming the suspension is original.

http://vfrworld.com/threads/weight-limit.19996/

I suspect that by now 20 year old suspension will struggle to perform well when fully loaded, even with new tyres at the right pressure. Hence if they do not give confidence especially in corners it may justify getting in contact with Jamie Daugherty to discuss upgrading.

SkiMad

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Colin if you take a trip to the Racetech site you can look for springs for the VFR and you get to input your weight, and they will tell you a recommended spring weight. IIRC the stock springs are 0.76kg/mm or so, for me (188lb) the calculator recommends 0.9, and that is great on the road.