5th Gen VFRness: Accesory Harness how to use it?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by JACBR1KRR, Jan 10, 2021.

1. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    I installed a VFRness and accesory harness on my 98 VFR800Fi. How do i use it? Wire things to it? Same with the fuse block?

Bought VFR bike with 13.5k mi. July 2019. To replace a stolen bike. During the bike previous ownership R/R was replaced. As owning a 00 SV650. I got stranded multiple times. LOL I was new to having electrical issues w a bike. I didn't know what was going on.. It took a while, and lots of $$$ to diagnose, fix ( shop visits, towing, etc)

Long story short.

I read this was an issue with the 5th Gen R/R. 1st thing I did was ordered a VFRness and accesory harness. To make wiring easier....

A year + later i still haven't attached anything to the harness. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

I'm terrible at wiring, i figured this would simplify wiring. Adding accessories to bike. BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT. Installing was easy.

I want to add a Vollmer and eventually heated grips, gps. But for now a Voltmeter that will turn on with bike. I want to connect to the accesory harness. I just don't know how.

I have two voltmeter , 1 is a 2 wire unit and the other is a 3 wire unit.

How do I wire them to harness, whichever one i decide to use. How do I use the harness for future use. It has the fuse block with 4 switch fuses. I don't know how to use those either.

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Was it this you bought?

3. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    1 You need to find a switched connection. Rear brake light switch is fine or tail light This will provide switching power for the relay. Pin no on relay 86

2 Earth from relay 85

3 Power from the battery to the relay. 30

4 Feed from relay to fuse box 87

Here is a diagram I lifted off the web. The dash mounted switch will be the ignition and wiring simplified.

relay-wiring_example1.gif

4. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Thank you guys for your help, That's a great diagram.

That's the correct harness I have. I already have it installed on the bike ( both VFRness and the accesory fuse block). That was easy. What I'm having trouble is in how to actually use that harness with the fuse block.

Lol... it's embarrassing. I bought it but I don't know how to use it.

For now I want to add items to that harness. For starters a Voltmeter meter, then heated grips.

How do you use the harness. I'm a visual learner , pictures, images, diagrams would be greatly appreciated. If anyone can show me how to use the harness.

The harness didn't come with instructions how to use it afterwards.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.wiremybike.com/product_info.php?products_id=269&ved=2ahUKEwiavqikrJTuAhXDQs0KHUFrD6oQqa4BMAB6BAgHEAY&usg=AOvVaw0GJCsESCc3vahRxYccwanb

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  5. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Here's what I have. And the fus 20210111_174433.jpg e panel. How does that work?

6. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I used to make and sell my own harnesses years ago, something that simply clipped into the existing bikes harness. I’m a bit busy at the moment, but I’ll put up something for you tomorrow when I’m home.

7. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    From the picture it looks as if all your feeds are switched.

What you need to do is connect the positive from any of your accessories to the terminals.

The negatives from your accessories will need to be earthed either to the battery negative or the chassis.

You will need to insert an appropriate fuse into the fusebox on the accessory lead for the voltmeter a 10amp or less will suffice, your heated grips may have a fuse in the circuit, use that.

JACBR1KRR likes this.
  8. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Fink what would I need to do to upgrade the reg/rec etc, I'm like the OP when it comes to electrics,:homer:
    I'm ok with the mechanical side of things up to a point but electrics I'm useless at, whatever electrical upgrades I get I'll be getting a buddy of mine to install for me,
    Bike is a 98, 20k miles now, reg/rec was replaced once about 10 years ago using an oem replacement part looks like by a Honda dealer.
    I had the heated grips wired into a switched live when I got the bike in 2019 so I'm not worried about a vfrness or fuse blocks,
    all I want to do is protect the charging system because I intend to take this bike on a long tour if we ever get over this bloody virus, thanks.

9. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map

The best thing you could do would be to change the rr if you are worried about it. Check the Yellow stator connectors are clean and tight, as slack dirty connectors increase resistance which leads to a heat build up, hence melted connector blocks and wires.

An upgrade rr could be the fh 020. Or sh847 available here https://roadstercycle.com/

VFRIRL likes this.
  10. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Thanks, I might try and find a source for that rr in Europe, import taxes now from the US and the UK are much the same, disaster for ordering stuff from the UK,
    I got an Mra vario screen this week and had to pay an extra 45 euros here then in vat and duties because it came from the UK.
    I have the bike on the bench now for a good clean so I'll check those connectors,
    I just replaced the fork oil and gave the forks a clean up, this bike won't be on the road again till the bloody salt and grit is gone off the roads. have to get myself a winter hack.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    fink likes this.
  11. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map

check eBay in Europe , for a triumph or ( think) Kawasaki rr

VFRIRL likes this.
  12. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    20210111_174411.jpg
    FINK, Thank you.

You're correct. They're SWITCHED POWER. The ACC harness is already installed on bike. So I found the install instructions for the accesory harness. Maybe it will shed light into how i can use it.

+ Positive power is connected to battery
    - to chassis ground
    Tapped to tail light brown/blue wire.
    Inserted 30amp as indicated by instructions.

4 connectors were included in packaging.

I have both volt meters already. I am debating if I want to use an LED battery volt meter from Sparkbright 2 wire unit or a 3 wire numerical digital volt meter from ADV forums. ( can't find volt meters, to take pictures) but I think I want to use a 3 wire unit. ( +, - and 3 wire is for a switch power)

20210114_103826.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  13. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Thank you for your help, Fink.

After 1 year of ignoring the fuse box because I didn't know how to use it. I finally got around to installing volt meter using that box.

3 wire unit. I'm very pleased how it came out. 20210121_212733.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    VFRIRL likes this.
  14. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    That voltmeter is a very neat install, good spot for it.

15. JACBR1KRR

JACBR1KRR New Member

United States
    Thank you!

I'm very pleased how it came out.

In retrospect now kinda wished I gotten one with Green readings to complement dash. I chose this ADVmonster because of the great reviews, and if people are using it on ADV bikes. I figured it is rugged enough of for me.