6th Gen Average Fuel Mileage

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by jasonsmith, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

I have no idea what sort of fuel economy I'm getting. All I know is that my VFR is a lot cheaper to run than my -1/+2 Busa was...

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

The new Harleys get great mileage.

Redirect Notice

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Do you miss your Hayabusa? If your a mileage hound you could always bow to the Chinese and get a Zong-shen, right?

4. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Has anyone checked to see if the PAIR disable improved their mileage? It would make sense that once the ecu isn't trying to pour extra fuel in to make up for the extra O2, that the bike would go further on a tankful. - Just a thought.....

5. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

While I don't really keep track of mileage, I do make a rough calculation when I fill up. Mostly to note if there is ever any big change.
    Most of the time I am/was getting a little over 40mpg both before and after the PAIR disable. Nothing I even considered worth noting. My throttle position makes a lot more difference on the days when I decide to exercise the vtec. I can knock it down in to the 30's quite easily.
    I added a PC3 this fall and while I haven't had much chance to ride since then, I think that mod is going to definitely use more fuel, but it seems like it is going to be worth burning a little more fuel for the improvement in throttle control.

6. Garido

Garido New Member

Map
    Best 46.1
    Average 41.9
    Improving since I've been using BP Ultimate only.

7. Badbilly

United States
    All this mileage yak is BS. Stick a fast guy on any bike here in the twisties at 4,000 feet and those inflated mileage numbers are toast. I get almost 60mpg on my 91 but I only ride it at sea level and never ever spin it above 3k RPM plus I run a Magic Platinum Framulator at all times. It's not much fun but boy do I conserve the recycled french fry grease I get from McDonalds.

8. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Last tank of fuel > 180 miles > just over 4.7 gallons ....... about 38 MPG - mostly commuting about 12 miles. Still breaking it in.... under 2k miles.

- June - Making progress - same riding, 172 miles. 4.17 gallons... just over 41. :smile: - about time to change the oil to amsoil.

Maybe if I switch to nuclear fuel, i will go over 1000 mpg. :wink:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  9. gray ghost

gray ghost New Member

Map
    First I want to say that I did not buy my 08 for gas mileage. Second, I have only owned it a week and I can't get the smile off my face! With that said I had been rideing a 85 vf700f for the past 27 years and I can say with confidence that my over all avg. was 40 mpg. Not much change from a gen 1 to a gen 6

10. Badbilly

United States
    IMO all the dudes here that are not getting 40mpg should park thier bikes. Yeah right!

11. internationlriders

internationlriders New Member

I completely cleaned the pair valve system, replaced the thermostat, K&N filter and slip-on and I average 43 city/highway combined with very spirited riding last year. Mine is a 2002. 2up and hard riding is a fair bit less.

12. dodge

dodge New Member

United States
    Map
    43.7 actual, GPS corrected mpg. 18T front sprocket and a PC5. Otherwise, stock.

13. Firehand

Firehand New Member

Mine's a '04. City, mild-to-warm weather, 40mpg; in cold weather 35-37. Highway, depends on the winds: strong headwinds, 45-47; tail or quartering-wind, mostly 50. One trip, had strong winds(NASTY strong) from the right-rear, and got 56mpg for the trip home.

14. racerxlilbro

racerxlilbro New Member

I put Leo Vince slip-ons on my '07. Last full tank was 44.8 MPG. This was from a combo of commuting and canyon strafing.

No other mods, at the moment. I'm contemplating a PCV, and maybe gearing. Will see. I just love the idea of owning a motorcycle that'll go over 200 miles.

15. Guj

Guj New Member

Before the mods - out at Sturgis last year I was able to get 50+ mpg per tank. That was mostly highway and twisties. Averaged about 47 per tank otherwise.

After the mods - 42mpg per tank. (Two bro's, PCV w/ AutoTune, and K&N) I still want to play around with the AutoTune to see if I can bump it up for highway crusing.

16. nickpapp

nickpapp New Member

OK, I am late to the thread but need the WOTL (Wisdom of the List) on this. I bought a 2002 with 15k miles, great shape and it is my second VFR. Love the bike except for one thing...the mileage - I am getting 25 mpg on my last tank. Mostly riding highway speed - 75-90 mph with rpms typically 6-7K.
    Assuming there is something amiss, where would I look for an abnormality - the bike is running perfect.
    Thanks in advance.

Nick
    Phoenix AZ

17. Badbilly

United States
    Have you tried shifting out of first gear? Your sprockets may have been installed backward.

There are dudes here with the same bikes that are getting fantastic mileage. You may have to sift through the BS some though..

18. Firehand

Firehand New Member

Nick, makes me wonder if a previous owner put on different sprockets; mine('04) has stock, and in 6th at 75mph it's turning right at 5000rpm

19. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

United States
    Map
    One source of confusion on fuel efficiency is that gallons are not all the same. US gallon are about 20% smaller than imperial gallons so miles/gallon quoted from the UK will be a lot higher!

As for gearing - my 2007 cruises at 80mph just below the vtec cut in threshold - so is still sipping fuel rather than in lets go crazy mode. I think earlier vtecs had a different (lower?) RPM cut in point when the extra valves and greater fuel consumption came into play. Certainly I know my French spec vfr800 (which has a different ECU which limits max power to 100hp) gets significantly better mpg than an otherwise exactly similar UK vfr on the same long run across Europe despite both of us making very rapid progress. It seemed the French ecu used almost 10% less fuel despite both us filling up in the same places.

Skimad4x4
    Proud Member 6th Gen Militia #218 - European 1st Division

20. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

Good morning all. 2007 VFR stock.

Best: 52 mpg coming back from Cherokee on the Parkway taking my time to enjoy the view
    Average: 42 mpg
    Fast: about 38 mpg

I ride with a friend that owns a 98, before VTEC. He consistently uses less gas than I do when we ride fast.

Cheers and enjoy your these beautiful bikes!

CElias