6th Gen Average Fuel Mileage

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by jasonsmith, Mar 31, 2008.

1. sandstrike

sandstrike New Member

I run lot of open road at around 43 mpg. Wich i pull 40 miles one wya to work and wish th road crew had been drunk or something. all long straits.

2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    chomper I just went through another tank. My first tank was 31mpg but that was about 95% city, stop and go with lots of VTEC. This tank also had fuel stabilizer in it, if that makes a difference.

My latest tank was 37.2mpg which was 50/50 Hwy vs City. With a couple local Fort Langley rides. I think I may be able to get to around 42ish but am not expecting more than that. We'll see if the summer gas up here changes things.

3. aftershock

aftershock New Member

i'm getting between 42 and 47 mpg mostly superslab winding it up from time to time

4. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Well after keeping a close eye on my last 10 tanks or so I can honestly say that I wish I was getting better mileage. 35mpg is the average for me, I'm sure if I slabbed the whole tank I would get better but thats not my style of riding. I'm not looking for a 70mpg DRZ400 or anything but mid 40's would have been nice. As of right now my 07 is no cheaper to commute on than my 92 Honda Accord if you factor in maintenance. The actual $$ equates to a $2.00 cheaper commute on the bike per round trip. Idunno... I wonder if it's cause I'm 230lbs with gear. :strong: :tongue:

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    It's more likely that disability you have in your right wrist. You know...the one that makes it twist violently:vader:

6. klinquist

klinquist New Member

Worst: 31 Best: 37 :unsure:. Stock w/ 12k miles.

7. axelant

axelant New Member

42mpg whatever I do :unsure: It doesn't matter if I keep it slow and steady or wring its neck, I always seem to return 42.

My old pre-vtec used to do 50-55 without fail and I have been really disappointed with the drop in economy, but reading other people's VTEC experiences maybe I'm not doing so bad.

8. phil_s

phil_s New Member

I've got a 02 that is basically stock with a BMC filter. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at b/c I'm only getting around 30 mpg. I'll post if they find anything or improve it in any way.

9. viker1

viker1 New Member

2002 and getting about 43 mpg. Bike has about 22000 and a K&N filter and new plugs, Mostly open hwy and twisties in the hills outside of Angels Camp. CA

10. whiteboyslo

whiteboyslo New Member

Map
    40MPG (give or take a couple)

almost all freeway. 75-85MPH, but no real aggressive driving.

15K miles on bike. 2 Bros Titanium exhaust, K&N, snorkel removed.

oh, and i'm about 320lbs and have the aerodynamics of a Mack Truck, so i consider that MPG estimate to be pretty good.

BEST MPG: 55.5!!!! cruising right at 70

Mike

11. jeff8478

jeff8478 New Member

Totals to last fill: 186 litres for 3250 km = 41.1 miles per US Gallon

Mostly country roads (take me back...)

12. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I did manage one fill-up that indicated 51 MPG. I made an effort (and it WAS an effort) to cruise between 4500 to 5000 RPM on the highway for about 160 miles. Had all my gear with me, too (saddlebags, dufflebag, and tank bag).

That will probably never happen again.

13. axelant

axelant New Member

Slightly off-topic, but related: In order to calculate tank range based on MPG I need to know the number of litres in the tank. I know it's quoted by Honda as 22litres, but is that full to the brim, to the bottom of the neck (which is a lot shorter in this model than my pre-VTEC) or where? I just wondered if someone could save me the effort of draining a full tank down to measure it.

14. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Well all you really need to know is how much fuel you used for the given distance traveled. It is important to fill it up to the same point but in reality once you hit the rim it doesn't take much after that.

I fill to the same point as always, ride, save my trip mileage since the last fill and fill up the tank to the same point again. The amount that fuel added is the amount used for however long you traveled. From there you can convert it to gallons and divide the distance. So in theory you tank could be 22 liters or 220 and it wouldn't matter.

I do suppose that the weight of the fuel may make a difference in mpg. I try and fill up around the 1 solid bar mark. Doing that I can usually tell how my mileage is by the amount traveled by then.

Hope this helped :wink:

15. viker1

viker1 New Member

milage issues

HEY PEOPLE !!
    REA:ITY CHECK HERE

Did we buy these bikes for milage figures or for the pure fun and sport aspect of it all. Whats the difference between 35 MPG and 40 MPG as long as you are enjoying every mile you put under the seat!!

On a different subject, any recommendations for a drive chqin replacement? I was going regina until I read they do not have a good tensile strength and are not recommended for anything over 400cc.
    Thanks
    Viker1

16. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    To each is their own I guess, I like to know my mileage. Re your chain, maybe start a thread about it or search, I think its come up before..

17. whiteboyslo

whiteboyslo New Member

Map
    high-mile commuters like myself care, for one. my bike is more for commuting than pleasure at this point, sadly.

Mike

18. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry to chop up the quote a bit. I was feeling efficient...

I check the gas mileage on every vehicle I own, every time I fill up. Even when vehicles feel like they are running OK, changes in average mileage are a good indicator of something being amiss.

19. viker1

viker1 New Member

Gusy PLEEEZE,
    I fully understand that if you should be getting 35 or 45 or whatever and all of a sudden you egt 15, maybe a look see is in order? I'm pretty sure that most of us have some meca=hanical smarts and are not tools of the dealerships. Having siad that, I too register my milage at every fill up, but if it drops or increases by one or two miles per gallon, there surely is a rational reason. temperatures, did I go crazy up that winding road, was I on "cruise control" the last 150 miles?/ All factor iinto it, but as for me, the pure joy of riding a machine like the VFR800 tops all other considerations. As the man said, to each his own!!

20. axelant

axelant New Member

For MPG, yes, but I like to know the tank range - I don't pay much attention to the fuel gauge and fill up based on the mileage. The tank range matters because at present I fill up every three days and put around 16-17 litres in but I still don't know really how much fuel is left and I always wonder if I could make it to four days but aren't brave enough to try in case I get marooned!

I know what you mean and I like riding the VFR but when I last changed bikes, the MPG and tank range was one of the reasons I stuck with a VFR. I was then very disappointed to lose 20% of my MPG and am now thinking next time I change maybe I will get something different.