6th Gen Heli Bar Install - See It Before You Try It!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ottrod, May 31, 2008.

1. sandman

sandman New Member

This thread has definitely given this newbie the confidence to embark on this very beneficial mod. Thanks very much for the great information.

One question: Will air always enter the banjo fittings as they are loosened to be rotating which will require bleeding? Or can they be loosened barely enough to move, but not require bleeding?

Thank in advance.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    "... One question: Will air always enter the banjo fittings as they are loosened to be rotating which will require bleeding? Or can they be loosened barely enough to move, but not require bleeding?"

If you loosen them just enough to move them round to their new orientation, they probably won't need bleeding. Remember the lines already contain brake fluid so provided you only back off the banjo fitting just enough to rotate it round, then the only real risk is that you will have a slight weep of fluid escaping from the joint rather than air entering. Once its in the right place snug the fitting up again, wipe clear any fluid to protect your paintwork and ensure the bars turn freely from lock to lock without anything catching or chafing before taking the bike out for a ride.

Good luck

3. sandman

sandman New Member

Excellent. I was hoping that was the case. Thanks for answering so quickly.

4. diggity

diggity New Member

United States
    Map
    Just wanted to say thanks for the great writeup, Ottrod. :thumbsup:

Installed a set yesterday on my 04 ABS VFR. Your writeup & the pics were way more helpful than the nearly useless instructions that heli sends with the kit.

5. 1971TT

1971TT New Member

After reading your (Ottrod's) description and the instructions that came with the Helibars, the only thing I'm confused about is whether it's also necessary to remove the outer tab on the clutch reservior as well as on the brake so that you can rotate the clutch hydraulic line? It seems like the Helibar people recommend this, but I didn't notice it in your description. Also, FWIW, it might be worth wrapping a bungee or some large rubber bands around the control levers to create positive pressure so that if you loosen the banjos too much all that will happen is that you weep out a little brake fluid. That way you should be able to minimize the chance of having to rebleed the brake or clutch.

6. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Thanks for the comments everyone - I am glad this thread is helping some people out with the heli bar installation!

On mine, I didn't have to do anything with the clutch line - only the brake line. As others have stated, it is pretty easy to crack the banjo fitting just enough to re-position the line, but your idea of putting some pressure on the brake lever sounds like a good idea if you are concerned about backing the fitting bolt out too far.

:thumbsup:

7. Mayday

Mayday New Member

Bump.
    Just installed the Helis on my 08.
    As others have said, actually quite amazing difference the 1" makes.
    One thing that did cause me a bit of grief during the install (in all my years of bike maintenance, I'd never had to pull a throttle/clutch control off a bar before, so it is obvious now, but not so much before) was that both the throttle and clutch controls have a small protrusion/stud that fits into a small hole on the bars. If you don't, the two halves of the plastic housing do not fit correctly (and the throttle "sticks").
    Once I got that little issue resolved, install was as previously described.

8. mjesposi

mjesposi New Member

this thread was awesome - just installed heli bars on my 2005 VFR and had the laptop literally next to my bike as I installed them - HUGE HELP!!!!

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've done that before with how-tos. It helps out. Now where is that how-to for getting grease off a laptop?

10. ottrod

ottrod New Member

.....funny post /\ :)

Glad this thread is still helping some people out!

Keith

11. mjesposi

mjesposi New Member

Ottrod - One last quick question - I noticed you installed your bars 1/4" above the tree, but helibars instructions called out in bold and exclamation marks how they should be fully seated against the tree. Is there a safety concern if you keep them 1/4" off the tree and do you have any problems with the cables or lines with the bars mounted like that.

If not, I would be willing to loosen mine up and align them and raise them the 1/4" to get the extra height. If you could let me know, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

12. ottrod

ottrod New Member

I did mine a while back - I don't recall anything like that in the instructions at the time, although the instructions could have been revised since then. I have had no issues with my installation at all. Everything has stayed in place and operated as it should. I am pretty easy on my bike though! Regardless of positioning, proper torque and and common sense are the most important aspects of the clamping of the bars IMHO.

Good luck with your install and be sure to tell us all how they work out on the road!

Keith

13. Intercepted

Intercepted New Member

Another big thank you to Ottrod !!!
    I'm a pretty mechanical type guy and after reading this how too a couple times and the Heli instructions that came with the bars, I was able to complete the job in about 1 1/2 hrs taking my leisurely time about it, sipping a cold beverage and fiddling with the adjustment till all felt and looked just right from every angle. Great instructions!
    I'll just add a couple comments. I used a #1 not #2 Philips stubby to remove both bar controls. I mounted the bars tight down on the Tree and fastened the Brake and Clutch mounts fully inboard at the welds (but not ON the welds themselves) and by doing so had enough room on both hydraulic lines to not need to remove the cast locators by grinding as described here and in the Heli manual. I gave the finished line clearance a very close inspection and am convinced that kinking and wear will not be an issue. I will keep an eye on this and let you know if any trouble starts to develop.
    Hope this helps everyone doing this great mod and remember not to bother removing the right throttle grip cover.
    Now that I'm sitting higher in the saddle, what is the consensus as to the beast windscreen for a 6 footer in light smoke??

14. dechaoz05

dechaoz05 New Member

very nice writeup. props!

15. Ripper

Ripper New Member

Map
    Do the heli's come pre-drilled for all the locking tabs on the throttle/switch boxes? That's frigging sweet if they do, I've become so use to marking and drilling holes on other bars that I just assumed they were all that way.

16. Intercepted

Intercepted New Member

Yes Ripper! Everything lined up perfectly.

17. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    HAHAHA! Yeah...Who couldn't use another inch or two...

18. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Funny post ! /\

:)

19. HercFE

HercFE New Member

ottrod, Just a quick "Heads-Up". I helped witht the Heli-Bars Group Buy that went on about 3 weeks ago. If I remember right 14 sets were sold and we expect them to start being delivered sometime in the next week. I also attached your write up/link to the original post. I bet you'll have a few questions coming soon concerning the install and wanted to Thank You! in advance for your guidance and expertise,... along with a GREAT! install write up. I found all your instructions pretty straight forward and the pictures are great. I especially like your idea to use rubbing alchohol, it's makes a lot of sense. Anyway, I know I speak for everyone when I say Thanks! for being there (as I shed a tear) for us. HA! It's guys like you that make our site THE BEST!!

Ride Safe!!

HercFE

20. Ripper

Ripper New Member

Map
    I'm tempted to get some just to experience "not having to drill" a perfectly good set of bars.