6th Gen Heli Bar Install - See It Before You Try It!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ottrod, May 31, 2008.

1. ottrod

ottrod New Member

Thanks for the kind words HercFE, I appreciate it!
    It has been awesome that so many people have responded to this thread - it's good to hear about their ideas and experiences.

:scooter:

2. Captredfish

Captredfish New Member

Ottrod,

Thanks for the How to write up. There is no way I could have done this with the instructions that came with the Helibars. Well maybe I could have but it would have taken about 3 times as long and 10 times as much cussing.

3. RDX

RDX New Member

Seriously considering Helibars...thanks Ottrod for a great write up. I feel confident after seeing your post that i can do this mod. I do have one question however, how is the handling in the twisties?

4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    RDX - For me Helibars work a treat on the twisties - I live in a ski resort at 1,200 metres in the French Alps, so all the roads around here have plenty of extreme bends. The bike handles the 25 minute twistie downhill run to Lake Geneva with ease. Helibars have not altered the bikes ability to navigate twisties with confidence, but by significantly reducing the pressure on your wrists (and back), it does seem to allow you to get the steering done faster, which helps keep you the right side of the centre line on very sharp turns. Helibars can make a huge difference to ride comfort on longer trips. I think the only weakness with helibars arises if you plan on using your VFR for track days (where you wont find any real twisties) in which case the stock bars may be a better choice.

Skimad4x4 6th Gen Militia #218

5. RDX

RDX New Member

Thanks Skimad...placed my order!

6. fomula1racer

fomula1racer New Member

hey my name is michael and i also have a 2006 vfr
    but i am having a problem with the clutch it seems really hard everytime i pull the cluth in. it feels really hard and after a while my palm starts to hurt and i was wondering is there something that can make it easier to pull it in. the reason you is everytime you slow down or come to a stop you have to pull the cluth in you know so it makes it hard. the other thing is the handle seems to be far away from the balck handle bar and it seems like i always have to reach for it. is there something to make things better cause the throttle bar and handle seem to be alot easier. please let me know

7. TexVet

TexVet New Member

Map
    got my Helibars today, chomping at the bit to get off work so I can install them...WOW, just noticed its time to go.. gotta get home and start this install for a long ride this weekend. will let you know how it works out.. thanks for the write up.
    Mark

8. RDX

RDX New Member

TexVet you get everything installed? I loved the difference its much more comfortable and like others have said it still handles great. Hope you have the same experience.

9. TexVet

TexVet New Member

Map
    yes, it took me about 1 hour. first I had to clean up my tool box (I got sidetracked by OCD while gathering up the right tools). :rofl: finished about midnight.

Thanks to OTTROD for the writeup, the pictures were awesome...of course since I had heated grips installed that made it faster as they just slid off. the longest part was cutting the tabs.

Saturday the wife and I took a 5 hour RT cruise with some friends to a winery tour and to eat lunch. It is amazing how 1.5 inches made such a difference, she loved the fact that I sat up straight, it made her more comfy. Now if I can just figure out the numb butt issue (already have a Sargent seat) and the fact that my head catches more wind and was buffeting more than usual (I have a ZG w.s. but I am now thinking about a Givi because it has that little "flick" at the top to carry the wind up and over). either way the just made the bike that much better.

10. RDX

RDX New Member

Glad you and the wife liked the bars. I too switched to the Sargent and found it to be better than the stocker, but it did take a little time breaking in.

11. Captredfish

Captredfish New Member

TexVet,

I too had the ZG touring screen and switched to the Givi WindFlip. What a difference, the little flip at the top of the screen eliminated all buffeting. I am still debating on which way to go for the seat, but in the mean time I bought an AirHawk seat pad. That has made a big differnece on the long trips and has allowed me to keep looking for the best option for butt relief.

12. Cacique2002

Cacique2002 New Member

Can some one point me in the right direction as to where to buy the heli bars online?
    I am also going to buy new dampener. How much are the damper units?
    thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  13. Cacique2002

Cacique2002 New Member

I finally installed the heli bars and all i can. Say is What a difference!!!!
    I found them online here
    Honda VFR Interceptor seats, luggage, bars, exhaust, and accessories
    279 shipped!!! Not bad

Also i ended up buying new dampers from honda to replace the old ones, much easier. This way if i ever decide to go back it will be a simple swap!

14. checksi6

checksi6 New Member

Thanks Ottrod for a great write up!!!!!!!

15. twistedroutes

twistedroutes New Member

OK, looks like I've fallen for this one. This locating pin and locating hole...are they both in the throttle housing or is the hole in the bar, like it is on the left side of the bike? Yes, I could take the work apart and check, but why do that if someone knows the answer :)

16. Mayday

Mayday New Member

The hole is in the bar, the pin on the throttle - it won't go back together if not done correctly (a good thing I guess!)

17. twistedroutes

twistedroutes New Member

Thanks. So I had to take the bar back out anyway to find precisely where the hole was...and the marks that are left on the bar from my "searching" for the hole show that I was everywhere around the locator hole except IN it !

Done now. Too rainy in Toronto to test it out. Maybe tomorrow !

18. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Ordered my Helis today; should get them on Wednesday.
    Thanks to this writeup (and feedback from others) I feel mildly confident about doing the install.

19. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    If anyone has a spare left Heli. I'd buy it. Been looking for a couple weeks now. However, if anyone needs a right... I might give it up and just go back to stock...

20. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Well, my Heli Bars turned up today, along with my Two Bros. pipes, so I installed the lot. This writeup was fairly helpful, thanks!