6th Gen Panniers/ Saddlebags $450 New

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Frisco Kid, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Go back....

If you scroll back to the first page there are picture of the tail with the fender eliminator[[SUB][/SUB]SUB][/SUB]

2. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I did the same thing with mine. I ran the Comp. Werkes fender eliminator for 5 years then put the stock fender back on when I added the bags. I'm glad I kept it! I didn't want any hassles and I think the stock fender looks better with the bags.

3. 91talon

91talon New Member

And here is the US link for David Silver, which is pretty awesome IMO, as you don't have to worry about international shipper or any duties and taxes...
    David Silver Spares - HOME

4. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the link. I was not aware of it before.

5. 91talon

91talon New Member

Neither was I, until I read dvictor's post. LOL

6. VFRPeteR

VFRPeteR New Member

United States
    Map
    Be aware that the US warehouse doesn't have nearly as much in inventory as the UK warehouse. Case in point, they don't have the top case for my 2002 VFR, but what they can do is order it and send it on the next container so I only have to pay US shipping, which appears to be a flat $17 per item - what a deal. The only downside is that it will probably take 6-8 weeks to get it (3-4 to order, then 3-4 to ship by boat). Not bad since I won't need it until May and I end up getting it for $150 less than any place I've found in the US.

7. Locoelectrician

Locoelectrician New Member

They still have black and red available in the us. Bought the black. 417 to my door.

8. VFRPeteR

VFRPeteR New Member

United States
    Map
    I went with the red factory cases - same price $399 + $17 s/h. They should arrive by end of the week.

9. white_335i

white_335i New Member

I ordered the red one's too and installed them couple weeks ago. I also bought the top case.

10. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Do you mind telling us what the top case cost? I've been considering it for mine, but not motivated to buy because of the cost.

11. VFRPeteR

VFRPeteR New Member

United States
    Map
    I typically see these for sale anywhere from about $450 to $650 online plus the mount so understand what you mean about cost. At David Silver Spares, they list the box at $238 (wow!) and the mount at about $260. The problem is getting the box to the US as they're not in stock at the US site and it costs about $100 to ship via UPS from the UK. That makes the total cost about the same as the next best price I recently found - about $340 with the mount at about $20 more than DSS. I was talking with DSS about adding the top box to their warehouse shipment (a container transferred via ship) and that would have meant I only paid the normal shipping from PA plus avoided the duty - but they don't know when they're going to have another container going to the US warehouse. Maybe if they know they can sell a few of them, they'll move up the next container?

12. Locoelectrician

Got mine today but will not be able to mount them until Saturday. Is it pretty straight forward and self explanatory? I've looked at the instructions and they are far from clear.

13. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    It is not difficult at all. Just lay out all of the parts first, read the directions so you can map out what goes where and you'll be OK. I have a PDF of the installation instructions if you need them.

14. Locoelectrician

Thanks, it came with the 3 page manual but it's pretty vague on what bracket goes where. I'm sure ill figure it out but I'm just OCD enough to try to have a plan days in advance.

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Attach "ALL" your bolts very loose, an then tighten them, after all have been installed. Otherwise you may find yourself uttering words you did not know the meaning of before you started this task. Speaking from recent experience, not that I was vocal on anything.

16. Locoelectrician

Will do, thanks.

17. white_335i

white_335i New Member

I bought it from david silverspares. The cost of the top case was 175, but the rack was about 260.. I bought the topcase because it is the exact color for my bike :). The side cases are a different red...

A note to everyone planning on installing the side and top cases. Use the bolts that you remove from the grab rails. The bolts that come with the top case are not long enough to install both side and top case racks..

18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I was wondering how the top case attached. Am I correct in understanding that both the top and side cases attach through the two bolts holding the grab handles? I have looked at a few pictures to try to see exactly how they attach but could not make it out. It would be nice of someone with the top case installed could take close up pix of how they attach.

As a reward to this effort, I would have three....count them THREE....shots of very fine scotch in their honour!

19. white_335i

white_335i New Member

Randy - Yes, the top case rack and the side racks are attached with the bolts in the grab handles(2 on each side)...

I still owe the forums some pictures of my bike with the cases on it now.. Been very lazy these days.. Can you imagine a brand new bike sitting in the garage and I did not even ride it.. It got of the truck in front of the garage, started it and parked it in the garage on Sunday.. Did not start it again :(

20. VFRPeteR

VFRPeteR New Member

United States
    Map
    The pannier cases for my 2002 arrived today - for $416 including shipping I couldn't pass them up. Still hoping to get a top case, but can be patient. BTW- For those people installing the top case, did you leave the grab handles on the bike or remove them?