6th Gen Rearsets

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Rylee, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Rylee

Rylee New Member

United States
    After reading all the threads trying to find out what people have done for rearsets I finally fell into an option.

I called Sato who's sets are out of stock and they acted as if they had zero interest making more. So I started my forum research to see what everyone had done. On a side note Sebspeed (Sebastian) was in the process of making me a windowed clutch cover (this is important)

After reading countless threads I was pretty much back where I started. No direct bolt on swaps from other models and if I wanted adjustability Sato was my only bolt on choice.

During a conversation with Sebastian one evening I mentioned rear sets. He sent me a few pics of some adapters he had made and we worked out a plan. I ordered a set of adjustable rearsets for a 929/954 and had them drop shipped.

Using his 6th gen as a template he set out to design an adapter. Very quickly he decided he could just design a new rear plate that bolts directly to the 6th gen frame and the rear set adjustment portion bolts right in. In order to understand this idea you must 1st know that in an adjustable set the mounting plate and actual foot peg/levers are seperate from the mount where a factory set is on piece.

So instead of the rearsets mounting to an adapter that then mounts to the frame this will look factory. And for that I am extremely excited. He is also setting it up for GP shift per my request. I'm sure as soon as these are done he will offer them up to anyone else wanted aftermarket adjustable rear sets.

If you look closely you can see the mount plate. That is what he will be designing so the 929 rear set will bolt onto the VFR

Screenshot_20200322-023700_eBay.jpg

Gratuitous shot of the windowed cover
    20200316_195800.jpg

CHASETV likes this.
  2. signal

signal Definitely Not New Member

United States
    Well that really sucks to hear that Sato is not making VFR rearsets, yet they still advertise them on their site, that makes no sense. is the geometry of the 929 rear set the same as the VFR rear set? I mean, net net, how will this be different from a native Sato VFR Rearset, other than the mounting plate?

3. Rylee

Rylee New Member

United States
    To be honest I'm not sure if Sato is no longer making them. When I tried to order them originally it said to call for details. When I called I was told it would be a 2 to 3 month lead time for production. That just led me to explore different options as I didnt wanna wait that amount of time. I will say the person I spoke to seem extremely disinterested in even talking about anything VFR

I'm not sure how the positioning is in comparison from the VFR to the 929/954. I do know that SebSpeed has made adapters to make them work. In my situation he has decided to just re-engineer the back plate for the 929 rearset instead of making an adapter. This was so the actual positioning was kept in it's normal location rather than it being moved back from an adapter being placed on between the rearset mlm ount and the frame