'85 fuel system

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by SteveReject, Jan 23, 2010.

1. SteveReject

SteveReject New Member

[video=youtube;eQ-3-U-sXU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ-3-U-sXU8[/video]

Here's what I have for a fuel system on my bike, I highly doubt it's stock and would like to do without it one day if that's possible. Seems unnecessary on a carb'd bike when a bunch of them are gravity feed. Maybe the previous owner was making up for clogged jets on the carbs?? I'm not sure. Anyways what do you guys think about this system, leave it alone or go without it?

2. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Gravity feed works great. All of my VF's have been converted and you would never know the difference. Your setup is indeed not stock. What I don't understand is the regulator. Even though the stock pump is only about 1-2psi I don't see why it would be necessary. 4psi might be enough to push the float needles open agains the float force and flood the bowls, but I kind of doubt it.

Good luck!

3. jporter12

jporter12 New Member

I've been back and forth on the fuel pump. Mine seems to do best with it. I still haven't tried it since getting rid of the filter that I believe was causing my problems.

I can't remember, and I'm too lazy to search for it, but what's the recommendation on fuel filters? Run one? What type? Right now I'm not running one. I'm thinking I should put one of those paper element ones with the clear bowl on it, similar to the one in the OP's vid.

4. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    The filter shown in the video has a sintered bronze element inside. That's exactly what I use on my bikes.

5. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    WTF!! i dont understand why someone would put a regulator on it? those stock pumps only put out a couple pound at best

6. jporter12

jporter12 New Member

That's exactly what caused my fuel delivery problems last year when I first got the bike running! It was a sintered bronze element, inside an anodized aluminum housing. I never did run both the fuel pump and the filter though. I have bigger problems right now with the valve issue.