'85 VF500F as First Bike? Common Problems?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Capsaicin, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Capsaicin

Capsaicin New Member

Hi all. First post here.

I found a '85 VF500F locally here. I'm considering picking it up as a first bike/winter project for next season. I completed my MSF this spring but never got a bike this season. The VF500F appeals to me as I'm absolutely obsessed with mid-80s honda bikes (cb700s, cb900f, etc...).

So the ad says that it has cold start problems. Is this common with this model of bike? I'm sure it could be anything from fuelling to electrical (ignition) problems. Are these bikes easy to work on? Are parts easy to find? Is there anything specific I need to look for if I go and check out this bike?

Also at 6'4" do you think this bike would be too cramped for me? I've checked the specs at Motorcycle Ergonomics and it looks like it might be a bit too much in the knees but having real life opinions hold more weight IMHO.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

I have never owned a 500, so can only suggest you look back over posts in the 1st/2nd gen sub-forum, as that should give you a good idea of what issues come up.

I fear that all the older VFR's are now starting to encounter problems with parts availability, and the non FI models have quite a reputation for fuelling issues - clogged carbs, leaky petcocks, rusty fuel tanks etc, so if the bike already has issues - it may prove to be a full on winter project.

As for ergo's I think you are right to question how well it will fit you even if its running fine. I know there are things like helibars, and rear sets which can allow you to get a more comfortable riding position, but I think you need to go see the bike and check out whether or not you will end up sitting on the pillion seat!

If you are a newish rider - why not go and bother a few dealerships - that's what they are there for! :smile: Even if you have no intention of buying new from them, tell them you are trying to find a bike but don't know what fits you and the sort of riding you envisage (commuting, local trips, long hauls etc). Most dealers will be able to steer you towards something in their current model range and should at least allow you to sit on it to feel the weight and check out the ergos. Some will be a no almost immediately - and you may rule out some on looks alone. Once you find something which feels right, then see if they have any used ones. Before you lay out any funds its always a good idea to get another rider to come with you and give a second opinion.

If you are not stick thin then at 6'4" you may need to consider a bigger bike than a 500.

Take care ATGATT

SkiMad

3. Reista

Reista New Member

Map
    Common problems include petcock and fuel pump issues (you can covert to gravity feed to get rid of the fuel pump), few stator problems (they do age after all), and as with any carburated bike you need to keep the carbs synced and clean with good idle mixture. Other than that, not much else. PM me if you have a problem and I'll get back to you ASAP

Certainly a fun bike to ride, a kick in the pants for even my fat :bootyshake:

Also, welcome to the VFR forum! You're sure to find good folk and helpful advice here

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It WAS a fine beginner first bike back in about 1984, but almost all examples you'll find are in poor condition motor-wise by now. Cheap, yes, but lacking in replacement parts and not easy for a beginner to work on.

For a first bike you'll want something that's reliable, not an old VF.:chaingun:

The best advice i got when starting out was to buy the newest used bike i could afford.

5. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    Cold start problems are not uncommon if the bike has been sitting for a long period, the carbs are most likely gummed up and will need cleaning and synced.

The 500 is not difficult to work on but requires patience, you will need a service manual. The carbs can be a pain in the butt if you have no experience with a V-4.

At 6'4" you will be a bit cramped. A buddy of mine that is 6'5" is pretty wadded up when he sits on my 500. I am 5' 10", 32" inseam and it fits me perfectly.

6. Reista

Reista New Member

Map
    He does have a very valid point, parts are hard to find, but you CAN find them with diligence (and cash of course)
    I don't know about engine wear though, that would be specific to the owner of the bike you're buying it from. a newer model with a shitty owner would be WORSE to buy that an older model with a good owner. Used certainly doesn't mean reliable.
    I would stick with something less that 30k optimally and if you can do a compression check (as you should with ALL used vehicles you are buying) most definitely do so.

I would also stay away from the 750's if you're thinking of upsizing- those engine in particular has cam wear issues cause by too much clearance. the 500's were no plagued by this problem

**As far as cold starting issues, it's almost guaranteed to be carb/choke related. Also, I'm 6'2" and find the bike to be pretty darn comfy.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    |Good point there, Reista, about doing a compression test (even cold) before buying !!!!!

8. jazclrint

jazclrint New Member

United States
    Map
    After 25,000-30,000 miles cams and one of the main bearing become a concern. Specific to the bike parts have been a pain to find, and as far as I can tell there are no more diaphragms for the carbs, and haven't been for years. The 500 is a great beginner bike from a handling and power point of view, but fixing it up can be another story. I'm 6'2" and I have always found the bike cramped in the leg department. I'm not sure I could recommend it for 6'5". For you I'd recommend a '90 or newer VFR750F or VFR800. More power than you'd maybe want, but I'm not sure I can see you having much fun riding the 500. The VFRs would fit you much better.