86 VFR700 run without fuel pump and another question?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by motorhead1977, Sep 7, 2013.

1. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am still resurrecting my 86 VFR700 and the bike has no fuel pump or pump relay. Can I run the bike without a fuel pump in the system? Also, if I open the fuel valve on the tank no fuel comes out. But if I attach a siphon to the fuel outlet on the tank (where the fuel line attaches to tank) and get fuel flow started the fuel will continue to run out until the tank runs to empty. Shouldn't the fuel gravity feed when the fuel shut of valve on the side of the tank is in the on or reserve setting? Tank is clean inside with no rust. How do I get the fuel flow working again? TIA!

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The pick up tube for the fuel is almost level with the petcock. Once the fuel level drops below that it will struggle and die. A fuel pump is required.

3. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for that. I noticed and so I had my doubts it would be possible. Any thoughts on getting the gravity flow out of the tank? I have removed the petcock and it is clear, both on and reserve passages. Ran some wire from the petcock into the tank and it was able to go all the way into the tank. Passage from the petcock out to the pick up tube is also clear. May try using compressed air to blow out the fuel passages inside the tank but I am reluctant as I don't want to damage/dislocate the screen inside the tank.

4. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    The internal tubing coils into a loop so i doubt that you could reach the metal screeni with anything that could hurt it.

i've had clogged screens in tanks before and tried everything to clean them with no success, but i ran a long 3/16 or 1/4" drill bit into the tubing to drill thru the bottom of the loop so fuel had a path to flow, then used an external fuel filter--it will dam gravity flow now.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Check to make sure the tank vent in the filler cap is clear.

6. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    And check the fuel tank breather line that mud dabbers haven't built a nest.

But there is something odd going on if you can siphon fuel down and out the feed line, but it won't gravity flow...?

7. NormK

NormK New Member

Just remember carbies are higher that the bottom half of the tank, so unless the tank is half full you won't get any flow. From memory there is about 8 litres in there that you can't get out without a pump