'86 vfr750 front suspension

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by svandekieft, Jan 17, 2021.

1. svandekieft

svandekieft New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello all, I would like to rebuild the front end of my '86 vfr750f. Ideally, I would like to keep things cosmetically as original as possible. Given that, does anyone have some suggestions on springs, fork oil weights, etc? Please bear in mind that I'm not planning on racing this machine but I would like it to handle better. Any input would be appreciated and my apologies if this is an old topic. If so, please send me in the right direction. Thanks.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The correct spring for your weight. Race Tech or Sonic. Stay away from "progressive" springs in my opinion. Plus you can't upgrade to Emulators later if you go with progressive (see below).
    Set the oil level per Race Tech info, don't just add the "Capacity" amount listed in Service Manual.
    With stock damping rods, go for 10wt fork oil. Stock is approximately 7-ish. 15 is usually too harsh with stock internals.
    Consider upgrading to some Race Tech Cartridge Emulators for a vastly improved front end with the original forks.

svandekieft likes this.
  3. svandekieft

svandekieft New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Captain. I appreciate the info.