87 vfr700 led turn signals

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by ebanu2003, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ebanu2003

ebanu2003 New Member

Map
    Hey,

I am trying to change out my OEM turn signals to LED turn signals in the rear, but the OEM have three wires, while the LED only have 2 wires.

I have a electronic flasher relay from Autozone that seemed to work, but i think i switched something around and burned it out.

Has anyone put LED turns on their bike? How did you go about it? There is three wires and three posts on the relay: 1 negative, 1 positive, 1 lamp.

Unsure of which is which coming from the bike to the turn signal. I assume the black wire is the ground, the black with white stripe is the negative, and the red is the positive.

Any and all knowledge appreciated. If anything, i can always put the OEM back on.

Thanks

2. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Front signals are 3-wires. Rear Signals are 2-Wires.

Green is ground when talking about wires coming from the bike. Black is Ground on the aftermarket signals.

I have put LED's on my 1st and 2nd gen.

On my 1st Gen I just replaced the bulbs with LED bulbs.
    On my 2nd gen I replaced the rear signal stocks with LED ones.

The lights flash quicker when installing LED's so you need to either install Load Equalizers inline, or install a different flasher relay to slow down the flashing.

3. ebanu2003

ebanu2003 New Member

Map
    Thanks. The rear right signal has two wires to it, while the rear left has three. It seems that the left signal has power that forms the power continuity to both rear signals which is why it has three. When you put the bulb in the left signal, the bulb pushes a metal piece into the third wire to complete the circuit and make the signals work.

These may be aftermarket signals, which would explain why you have a different scenario than my current situation. All in all, i have three wires on the rear left and 2 on the rear right, the third wire going into the rear left completes the circuit for power to both signals.

4. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    The fronts have 3 wires because they are turn signals and running lights..the rears have 2 wires because they are turn signals only. You can put fronts on the rear to make them running lights..wire them into your license plate light. You do need a dual load equalizer when using LED...

5. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Rear running lights must be red by DOT standards, do not wire rear amber lights for running lights. Change out the front to LED and leave the rear incandescent because they will only operate when the blinker is turned on and you will get some power savings from the front and not have to use resistors.

6. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    Good point Dukie BUT...you can switch your rear lenses to clear..put RED led bulbs in the turn signals and you have running lights..use a dual load equalizer and it will work perfect..you have LED up front and back..I did this on my Shadow ACE and it looks great..especially at night. All i did was mount a set of front turn signals on the rear..they are the same size.

Honda VF750 VRF750 Clear Turn Signal Lenses VFR VF | eBay

7. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    This is how my ACE turned out..i plan on doing this to my VFR

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. ebanu2003

ebanu2003 New Member

Map
    thanks guys!! found that just using the two wires in the back as shows in the wiring guide from the book and using the proper led resistors, got the leds to blink! thanks for the wisdom.

9. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    so how did you complete this swap, and what are the "proper" LED resistors for this swap? this is one that I wouldnt mind doing with my old 87, too.

10. ebanu2003

ebanu2003 New Member

Map
    I used these LED resistors from Autozone that are in the led section for cars, it is what they recommended and they worked. I used them for my two rear signals, one led load resistor for each light. they were solid lights, when the resistors were added inline then they started blinking. voila!~!