87 VFR700 Problems

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Fender13Bender, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Fender13Bender

Fender13Bender New Member

Got the Speedometer Cable, that's working.

Now I just need to fix the high idle, get some brake pads and tires, and get the carbs synced.

I think the noise I was hearing is just the chain moving, I may just be over paranoid.

2. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    too little too slow? really... my nieghbor has one and it flies pretty quick and can move along in traffic at a pretty good clip.... 250 are a good learner bike now...if you are talking about a Rebel I wouldn't ride one of those again EVER (the 250 version)

the 700 IMO is a good beginner bike. this is my second vfr700 and my first one was my second bike but it was a short time in between the first and the second I didn't really ride the first one all that much..

but aGAIN MY OPINION good luck on getting her running

3. Fender13Bender

I know I would get tired of a 250 pretty quick. My buddies 500 Suzuki is slower than my VFR, I couldn't really imagine being stuck on a 250. Plus why buy a 250 knowing I will just get rid of it for a better/quicker bike later, ya know?

Progress pic:

[​IMG]

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It's not all about speed, Bunky.

250s can be loads of fun--on the right bike !!

If you're just commuting or riding around town, the power of a 750 is unusable on city streets; not so the right 250.

(I must agree with Crusty, however that the Honda 250 Rebel is way seriously underpowered and too basic .)

On a VFR, you're hauling around loads of excess weight, while most 250s , like my '90 VTR, are only about 330 pounds.

If Honda would just import to USA the same VTR 250 ( looks like Ducati monster) they offer in Europe and Asia, a significantly improved version of the VTR 250 sold here from' 88-'90 , there would be lots of reasons to ride one.

Excess weight is the enemy of good handling, and light, small bikes are easy and fun to toss around in ways you shouldn't even consider on a big VFR.

sorry if off topic, but i enjoy riding my 250s every bit as much as the faster VFR.

Attached Files:

5. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I guess it would really depend on the 250...as a started bike they are good MOST of the time you can ride it learn from it and then sell it for what you payed(minus of course your service costs) and they ar4e loads of fun in the twisties....loss a few poundsoff the bike and you can throw those little bitches all over the place. LOL (actually its LIMH)

6. Fender13Bender

Yea, I'm sure I'd have fun on one, but I would most certainly want to upgrade to a more powerful bike later on, so I figured why not skip a step. Plus the cost I got this bike for, and it's pretty low mileage, everything worked out well so far.

7. Fender13Bender

Alright, my list is almost finished.

I need tires, and brake pads. Everything else is working beautifully. Even the fuel light works with the new tank.

And the hardest part, I need a title. Any ideas? The guy before who owned has no contact info from the last person who might have had the title.

8. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    Is that the tank you recently purchased? Did you spray it?

9. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    Any progress on the title?

10. Fender13Bender

Sorry for being MIA, I just started working on the bike again.

Yes that's the tank I bought, and I painted it for the time being, paint wasn't as nice as it looked, no luck on the title either. I went to the DMV, and they told me to get a bill of sale, and go to Maryland, where all you need is a bill of sale for a title. I was like wtf.....ok.

I sent out the plastic to get fixed, the cracks and missing chunks. We'll see how that turns out.

I need ideas for a color, I really don't know what to pick, any pictures of VFRs would help me out. I want a clean look, probably little to no badges.

I also ordered a license plate relocater, and removed the factory one as well as the fender housing thing.

Next up is turn signals, I want a clean flush look, I'm not sure which lights to get.

I also cleaned the rust of the front exhaust pipes, and the Yosh pipe, painted them with 1800 degree paint, and re polished the end of the Yosh exhaust. The marks where the clamp goes wouldn't come off, but the clamp should cover them up. Is there any reason not the remove the baffle from the exhaust?

[​IMG]

11. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    remove the baffle? yeah noise.... the exhaust you have makes the bike loud...you remove the baffle and your gonna be running straight pipe... one more thing...having the title situation taken care of before you sank any money into it would have been the first move....bikes with no titles sometimes end up being stolen.... just becauase you boughht it from a friend who bought it froma friend thaqt knows this guy ...you get the picture.... here is what usually happens: new owner dumps money into used bike..... takes it to register without the title only bill of sale......DMV runs vin number comes back as a stolen vehicle......police show up...Insurance company that payed off the bike shows up ....... new owner has the bike confiscated with no repayment of bringing the thing back to life..and is lucky that the police didn't arrest him for grand theft auto..... bottom line is this title first then dump money into the impending money pit......or at a minimum take the vin number down to the DMV nd have them run a check on it. to see if there is any problems.....

Crusty

12. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    Gee Whiz Crusty! Grand theft auto, money pit! Yikes! I guess you think it would be smarter to just go buy a new vfr 1200, & expose yourself to grand theft wallet. This guy has breathed life into a cast off 86 vfr & already worked his way thru a large pile of problems like a lot of vfr world people. I think if he ever buys another with no title he would follow your before purchase rock solid & sensible approach. Problem is he is already in.

I agree with your leave the baffle in, due to noise & probable jetting issues.

Regarding the DMV's advise to title in maryland, don't you need a legitimate address in maryland to do that? And also a bill of sale from the seller?

Going to dmv for a title search sounds good. Another way might be online , get the vin # checked by carfax or whatever its called.

Sometimes a cycle can be titled as an antique which may simplify things. The state I am in its 35 years, which would not help here. Might check that in maryland & your state.

But as crusty says, the starting point is to see if the vin has any baggage. Its possible that somewhere along the ownership time line that someone took the cycle to the friendly dealer & got one of those god awful carb adjust quotes and then just shoved it in the storage shed, & condition gets worse from there. Later a low price gets it out of their site & memory. Its to early to panic & "POP SMOKE". These 2nd gen vfrs are worthy of saving & suffering higher than usual aggravation to do so.

Fender, please keep us advised.

13. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    turn signal resource to check out: K&S Technologies which is K & S Technologies Incorporated. Their products are available many places and on ebay a lot.

14. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I wasn't saying that his is stolen....merely pointing out that the fix first title second option is not a good idea especially when there is no title in your little hand... This actually happend here IIRC.. last year ... Hell I waited to register mine with no title BUT i had a shit load of documentation and other sources thqat showed the DMV had alreaday looked at the bikes registration.

And sorry if what I posted before sounded like a grimms Fairy Tale..... but thats how it is....is it possible the insurance company would "sell you the bike" yeah, just never seen it done..though you figure they would to recoup some of the lost money from the payout...

15. Fender13Bender

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, I know, I should get the title first, which I tried many times by going to the DMV, and I received a different answer every time. I just got frustrated and decided to work on the bike instead of dealing with uniformed DMV workers.

I have put a good bit of work into this bike, so I am kinda proud of where it sits, thanks for the kind words and advice.

Possibly tomorrow after work I will see if the DMV can run the vin, but what do I say? Hey, I'm looking to buy this bike, but it has not title, can you run the vin?

Or hey, I bought this bike, can you run the vin? Then if it comes up stolen, I'm screwed...

16. malaguchi

malaguchi New Member

United States
    Try going online to your states DMV and investigate their data. Its a lot easier to study it in print form from home then asking questions in person.You might look for a vin verification form. Usually has to be filled out by highway patrol or police. Remember this is an 1986.

Eventually you'll need a bill of sale. Is the seller still available? Should have his name & address, sale price, year, make, model & vin #,date, and sale price. My state no longer requires notarization.

17. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Ah, you outbid me on that Yosh pipe, it looked pretty nice except for that band mark.
    Yeah, K& S should have some flush mount signals that won't bite your wallet too bad.

18. Fender13Bender

I check pendot.com and there wasn't much help.

Out bid? This exhaust came with my bike haha.

19. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Oh, that pipe looks just like a yosh pipe on feebay I bidded on and lost out on.
    Wrong pipe.

20. Fender13Bender

Haha, it's alright. How much did it go for?

Also, could I get a titled frame and swap everything over? That almost seems easier.