98 Sound when clutch pulled/released

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Morades, Mar 2, 2004.

1. VFRluvr

VFRluvr New Member

I'm sure you're right about this. It just seemed odd to me that the clutch is worn and needs to be replaced even though it seems to perform flawlessly. But it does make sense.

I'll report back with results when I put in the new plates, and springs and replace and bleed the clutch fluid.

2. VFRluvr

VFRluvr New Member

Update

If you read through this thread you will notice that there are several different noises being talked about. Mine was more of a high frequency shudder, not a squeal or hard violent shudder. It only occurred when launching from a stop at higher rpm above about 4500rpm. Other than that the clutch functioned perfectly. I suspected many things and tore the entire clutch apart. I spec'd every part of the clutch assembly and everything seemed as it should. The clutch plates (metal ones) and clutch disks (the wearable ones) all seemed like new. I could detect little to no wear on the wearable disks. So if everything is in order and within spec, what in the heck is causing the clutch shudder? I considered replacing all sorts of different clutch parts, because I didn't want to have to take it all apart again. In the end I decided to just replace the clutch disks and springs. I put it all back together (see other post about bleeding the clutch if interested) went for a test ride and viola, everything is as it should be. My theory for this is that either 1. it was simply worn out springs (although the springs seemed perfectly within specifications), or 2. the previous owner (bought it last year) was using a different brand and weight of synthetic oil, I changed to the Honda recommended weight. The mating surface of the clutch disks is a fibrous material that will absorb and become impregnated with oil, so the old clutch disks were impregnated with the old weight oil and the clutch plates were lubricated by the new weight oil. Different oils don't always play well together, especially under high heat, high pressure situations and this could very possibly cause a shudder.

Either way the problem was solved by simply replacing the disks and springs.

Hope this helps.

3. Azamat

Azamat New Member

Map
    normal sounds

I get the "paper crunch" reliably when I pull the clutch almost all the way in and I'm in gear. I'm pretty sure that's the mechanism that allows you to engage the starter with the clutch disengaged. An easy way to test this would be to unplug the wires that hook up just underneath the master cylinder--the sound should be gone, as well as the ability to restart the bike while in gear.

The palpable grinding sound I believe is clutch slippage, which is to be expected at the friction point when you're slowly releasing the clutch at higher revs. This accelerates clutch wear. If you're taking off from a standstill at high revs, either the clutch will slip a little, or the tire will, or you'll get launched like a cannonball--or any combination thereof. :smile: Smooth your roll.

:nerd:~Azamat

4. fxstc111

fxstc111 New Member

How do they do that? do they get together and discusss it first?

Why does half the mechanics I know want to jerk around and mess with carbs.

Of all my motors I never had the misfortune of a work stoppage from some butterflys.
    But thats just me your milage could be less.

5. Revtune

Revtune New Member

Any kind of crumpling sound is usually not good, but not always fatal. First of all, Hondas have noisy clutches, they have since the first CB 750, and still tend to knock now, more than other brands. The type of noise you describe sounds like bad clutch plates. I would bet that you will find heavily worn friction plates. The basket should be inspected for wear at the ears, as that will affect clutch engagment/disengagment. The thow out bearing is always worth inspecting. You just never know what has been done to the clutch on a bike that wasn't purchased new. Wost case is a wheelie monger. Heavier oil does tend to quiet the clutch, but it also causes more drag.