98 VFR800 motor upgrade question

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by wildstang, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Well as you Americans are always saying "there's no replacement for displacement " and my VFR has more than any 600 plus more torque everywhere & is now close on weight. I've smoked a few 600's on the road.

Think I'll try CandyReds idea & do some drag racing in the spring, hope to get a track day in too. One of the mags might test my Viffer against a 6th gen & the new Viffer in the spring too.

I was hoping to do some runs with the UK Land speed guys this year but all dates got cancelled, maybe next year!

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  3. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

WoW looking good, but you need to sleep :)

4. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    Honda is not about making the most power . look at the 2013 super bike reviews Honda cbr 1000 rr had the least power but better suspension and beat out the other 1000's . it's all about weight and suspension and gearing . hell look at the new cars out today . I have a 2012 Ford fusion 200hp 2.5l 4 cylinder and I'm getting over 35mpg . all about the weight and the transmission . I think the only time you want to add a lot of power is if you drag racing . but even the gearing can do a lot for you . If you want more power then buy a new bike . I just ran my bike last week drag racing it ran 11:30s @ 120mph in the 1/4 . For a S/T bike that's fast . and my bike is almost stock .

5. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    There is a big difference between having the least powerful of all the super bikes (about 150whp) and having a 95 whp sport touring bike. I don't see how you can generalize that statement into "if you want more power buy a new bike". I guess if you don't have the ability to properly modify a bike yourself you would have no other choice but to buy a new one, but me personally, I am having a blast on my 460 pound VFR1 with more power than stock.

6. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    Let me make this easy . I got my 2007 1st of this year with only 2,700 miles on it . I paid $5,500 for it . I could put a supercharger on it for what ? $5,000 ? to get what 160hp now I have $10,500 in the bike + $ for the Suspension and brakes . so what $12,000 ? For $12,000 I can get a super bike . That makes more power and handles better . Can I do the things you guys are talking about to my VFR , YES but Why ? My race car is a 1991 mustang that runs 10:70s in the 1/4. I'm very mechanically capable . If you like wasting money then have at it . But I was making a point you don't need to add power to go fast . you want power buy a new bike or one with more power . I'm 36 years old and I'm busy I don't have time to play all day every day and waste money like that on nothing . I have more expensive hobbies then making a S/T into a race bike . If you look at the money it's not worth it . only to say I have a VFR that's faster then stock . I love my VFR but at the end of the day it's a S/T .

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    For what it's worth I have actually made money on my 2005 R1 front end conversion. It's not hard to do things on a budget, you just have to know what you're doing. By the way I love how we go straight to a $5000 supercharger as the only means for power lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    I don't think you read my 1st post very well . Point is you don't need to do motor mods to make the bike faster . But I can tell you 1st hand being that I have drag race for over 17 years at one of the fastest tracks on the east the VFR will always have a hard time being Competitive at the drag strip . even on a street night with out dumping a lot of money in it or without spraying it . NOS . lol . I just ran it last week . 11:30's @120mph
    And the comment about the supercharger that I made . I would say that's the biggest mod you can do , right ? for only 160hp . I understand you guys want to make something nice better but it gets to a point where it's not worth it . If it is to you then have at it . but not to me . I did little things to my VFR I love the bike the way it is . Just like guys think I'm crazy when I ride any of my bikes and I get back home it gets washed and sometimes wax every time . I have a 1992 Yamaha XJ600 that still looks new because of my routine . Crazy or not my bikes are like family and I take very good care of them .

9. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    My best so far is 10.82 at 127.4. It is so much fun beating up on 600 super sports all the time at drag nights, ON A TOURING BIKE. I still have a lot more mods planned, some cheap and some a little pricey. I still have even yet to do a custom dyno tune after trading my power commander in for a rapid bike. I plan to get into the 10.5's at over 130 shortly. I know any competent rider can do it on a new gixxer, but thats the problem, every asshole has a gixxer. But beating that asshole on a gixxer, with a touring bike, thats priceless.

10. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    or beating a guy on a VFR with a mustang is even better lol . Lets mod our VFR 800 so we can beat a STOCK GSXR 600 . Wait it would be more fair if we picked on a GSXR 750 . oh wait that would be a lot of mods if we could at all . lol

11. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    by the way whats your 60' times ?

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    My best 60' so far is 1.743, but usually I run around 1.8 flat. Its just so hard to keep that front tire down.
    A good friend mine has an 09 gsxr750, with a full yoshi exhaust, pcv auto tune and some other mods. He just barely walks by me at end. His best run so far is a 10.78 at around 135. He is actually my bench mark of what I am going for. We are both continuously improving, I just need to improve more than him and I should be able to hold him off through to the end of the 1/4 by the end of the year.

13. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    he can't run that bike . lol GSXR 750 ? lol that 750 should be 10:50s or much better . wow . The track I ran at last week is 1,000' above sea level the track im going to next week in Maryland is 500' below sea level I'll easy be 11:00 flat with just a K&N and exhaust .
    The best run I made last week was RT was .042 .. 11:31 @ 121mph , 60' 1.897 . that's only with a K&N and slip on exhaust .

14. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    by the way if you want to keep the front tire down taking off strap the front down with pull straps . Guys do it all the time

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah I've been using straps for the past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

I'd love to run my 5th gen, but there are no drag strips near where I live ;( Will just have to try the Nurbergring in July when I go past it on my euro tour ;)

It's not about making the most power, it's about making the power the engine is capable of without serious engine work. I'm up 12% with minimal work & down 30Kg, I think my 5th gen should be able to make high 10's in the qtr.

17. Rush2112

Rush2112 New Member

500' below sea level?!? Not even Death Valley is that low... you'll be running 1/4's at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay :congratulatory:

18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Lol for what it's worth, on some cold central Florida nights I have ran with a density equivalent of about 800 feet below sea level.

19. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Anyone check that this wasn't this started by SOW?

20. Rush2112

Rush2112 New Member

Gotcha... I understand apparent altitude and equivalent densities... from the wording of the response it just sounded like the dude was going subterranean... I guess he was predicting the atmospheric conditions at the strip a week in advance