'99 vfr too much for noob?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by thebiscuit, Feb 1, 2006.

1. thebiscuit

thebiscuit New Member

Map
    i'm getting a great deal on a vfr this weekend with many extras; 3500 with corbin seat, headlight modulator, hyperlites, helibars, heated grips, zero grav screen, yosh pipe, quick release seat cowl, and list goes on... i've been riding this scooter to get lane positioning, and lean angle down, but i was wondering if a vfr is too much... i don't want to pass up this deal but i can get an 01 ninja 500r for 2400... i can pay the ins. on both, and i already have gear coming tomorrow.

p.s. i weigh 280 if this helps.

2. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Buy the VFR, but take MSF safety course. It'll help your insurance and increase your survivability.

At 280# the Kaw 500 is a bit small. The VFR is a real motorcycle, the 500 Ninja is...... something less:cool:

3. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

Definitely get the VFR just take it easy. The bike is very rider friendly but like any bike with decent power it will bite you if you abuse it. At 280 the 500 will be a slug and you'll be disappointed once you get use to riding and will wish you bought the VFR. A VFR was my first bike and I had no problems riding it or getting use to it and never put it down.

4. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    Agreed on all counts - especially the MSF course part. Is a VFR a starter bike? No - it's not intended to be. But it's not a new gixxer either. You didn't mention how many inches in height go with that 280 - that would be a consideration as well. Ultimately, if you're mature enough to do this right, and respect the bike and your limitations for a couple of years, you'll be fine. Just don't end up like my old friend Rick who bought the farm his third day of riding because he got waaayyyy too ahead of himself.
    BTW - a Ninja 500 is anything BUT a ninja.

5. ZimZima

ZimZima New Member

Map
    Jump on the VFR, great deal for a great bike. Just remember to respect the power between your legs (if u know what I mean..)

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    H'mmm normally I would think something like an SV650/S as a good Intermediate step to learn on but at 120Kg a VFR with suspension adjusted to your weight may be better option power wise and still a relatively easy big bike to ride.

7. Bagwell

Bagwell New Member

United States
    And you WILL need to at least mod the springs front and rear for you since you double what the stock suspension is set up for. :)

8. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

No matter what ANYONE tells you, the VFR800 is in fact TOO MUCH for a new rider. Unless you have experience riding, buy a bike you can afford to crash/drop. The VFR is expensive to buy and even more expensive to fix. Buy something used, get some riding under your belt and THEN buy a VFR.

KC-10 FE out...

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Dang, how come I can't find those kind of deals Buy it quick before someone else does. if you don't like it sell it for a profit. Great find.

10. warchild

warchild New Member

Map
    99 Vfr Most Comfortable Bike

Listen You Betta Jump On That Deal..my 99 Vfr Was My First Bike And Its Great. I Am 6ft 4in And 350 Pounds And It Is The Most Comfortable Bike I Have Ridden. Definitely take the MSF course, the more you know the better.