A fine Ohio one-day ride

Discussion in 'USA - Central' started by Spectre, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Spectre

Spectre New Member

For all of you Ohio and nearby riders, I recently planned and finished the following one-day ride that began and ended in the Columbus area. Check it out with a DeLorme map of Ohio:

From Columbus: Rt 23 south --> Rt. 56 east --> Rt. 278 north --> Rt. 78 east--> Rt. 145 north --> Rt. 556 east --> Rt. 7 south --> Rt. 78 west --> Rt. 536 south --> Rt. 7 south --> Rt. 255 northwest --> Rt. 800 north --> Rt 78 west --> Rt. 669 west --> Rt. 13 north --> I-70 --> I-270 back to north Columbus. ~410 miles.

2. Big3

Big3 New Member

you didn't ride that route today did you ......just planed it out?

"Rt. 669 west" 669/22 intersection bout 10min. from my house

3. nvoges

nvoges New Member

Did you ride this today in the rain? Just curious..... I live in Dublin and have definetely fallen in love with some of the same roads and would like to go for a ride sometime.

4. Spectre

Spectre New Member

I took this ride last Saturday, 4/11/09. The weather was sunny but a bit windy and rather chilly. When I set out at 11:30 last Sat. the temperature was in the low 40's, and the high for the day was ~54 degrees. I arrived back home at 9PM, and during the last half hour of the ride the temperature had dropped to 40 degrees.

I wore my usual cold weather riding gear, which includes the following: First Gear TPG Kilimanjaro jacket; Aerostich Kanetsu heated inner fleece (plugs into the bike's Battery Tender plug); TPG Escape pants with thermal liner; synthetic long underwear and Under Armor turtleneck; Sidi leather Gore-Tex hightop boots; Joe Rocket thermal gloves; Shoei TZR full-face helmet. I also relied heavily on my motorcycle's Hot Grips Ergo-2 heated grips (HOT GRIPS-heated grips, hand warmers, grip warmers).

I used a DeLorme map of Ohio to plan out this ride a few days in advance, and once I was on the road I used the GPS unit some. I was already very familiar with most of these roads. Rt. 536 is only 12 miles in length, but it is a very twisty and hilly 12 miles. Last Saturday was the 4th time I've rode 536, but several of these roads were new to me, including 145, 556, and 255-- all fabulous roads, often with beautiful, sparkling mountain-like streams running along side of them. 255 in particular is a jewel.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009