A little reality check day trip

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by blakebirk, May 31, 2016.

1. blakebirk

blakebirk New Member

United States
    Map
    So I got the new 2014 VFR last month and two weeks later I lost my job. I've been feeling pretty crappy about life in general but decided to get off my ass and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having here in Seattle and my new bike. Please indulge me for a moment While I preform a bit of self therapy before I get on with the ride.

A good friend of mine and a good riding buddy has been dealing with cancer for the last few years. It began as lung cancer and has now spread to his brain. I spoke with him this morning and the tumor is applying pressure on his optic nerve and affecting his vision. It appears his riding days are over. Tough times lay ahead for my friend.

My problems seem somewhat trivial all of a sudden.

I was thinking of heading up to Windy Ridge on the West side of Mt. St. Helens, One of my favorite rides but decided instead to head North up to the North Cascades Hwy, another favorite.

A quick jaunt up I5 to Arlington to connect with Hwy 530 which took me here,

DSC05314.jpg
    Oso, I had not been here since the tragic land slide and wasn't aware that I'd be going through here. For those of you not from the North West, in 2014 that hill side slid down and took 41 lives when their houses were buried. Its a sobering and emotional thing to see on person, and further drove home the fact that my problems were not so big.

Made it to the North Cascades
    DSC05317.jpg

This little fella was not shy at all, he was hanging out in the woods while I took the previous photo and when I turned my back he came out of the woods coming closer. On the ride up to this point A few of his brethren had crossed the road some distance in front of me you always have to keep an eye out around here.
    DSC05321.jpg

Some other wild life I came across at a rest stop
    DSC05332.jpg

The weather was great! Traffic was non existent, and I was really enjoying the new bike, I think the suspension is still a bit harsh but I'm getting used to it. I made it up to Lake Diablo and took the standard "I was here" photo. I have similar photos at this location on two different bikes.
    DSC05341.jpg DSC05343.jpg

One of the tunnels along the way.
    DSC05349.jpg

I'd never seen this before; looks like some pilot was enjoying some curves as well.
    DSC05346.jpg

Stopped for some BBQ in Marblemount, this is a great little destination for a ride with some good food. I rode right past but after smelling it as I went by I did a U-turn and came back.
    DSC05350.jpg

I headed home from there. It was a great day out! Some real Moto-therapy day, covered about 300 miles. There is nothing like a good long ride to clear the head and put things into perspective. Sorry for the wordy report but for some reason I was compelled to share it with the forum. The next ride will be to the dealer to get the first service done on the new bike.

Thanks for reading.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    That is a very good and enlightening write up my friend. A good ride can do just that. Thank you for sharing your experience and trip report.

Keep your chin up buddy!

3. Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Just like the old saying

"I cried because I had no shoes then I met a man who had no feet........."

You will find a new job don't let it get you down I have been out of work for 5 yrs now due to a work accident which buggered my right shoulder and elbow

I make ends meet by doing odd jobs here and there mostly light vehicle servicing for mates and by word of mouth
    Bought an old run down house and have nearly completed a renovation and will sell it soon and move back to New Zealand to live

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    When your situation changes, a good ride is good therapy.

5. atx

atx New Member

United States
    Thanks for the ride report. That is a great amount of scenery for a day trip.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    You did good and right for your self , besides Windy ridge is from what I've heard is still snowed in.. Thanks for sharing.

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Been there myself 2 years ago with my previous employer. It felt like the world was ending until I put it all into perspective ...

Keep your head high, you'll find something.

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Ride on brudda. Ride on.

I have ridden that area so many times now I have lost track. Northern Washington roads are hard to beat. Maybe north eastern Oregon.

Ironically your photo #8, the jet vapour trail. A friend (used to be my boss but now friends) and I were out riding today as well. The pedal type. We road the back roads from Chilliwack to Abbotsford and back. Anyhow, We were riding south bound along the western dike of the Vedder Canal at about 2PM and I noticed that and watched as the plane flew that circle. We figured he was circling and in the que to land, likely in Seattle. Small and interesting world at times.

Seeing this brought me back to remember the skies around here during the lead up to Desert Storm. There were hundreds of vapour trails overhead here from I assume were US bombers I suspect out of Alaska and Washington State heading eastward. Was something to see.

Job loss is usually something that is fairly temporary. I am sure you will bounce back. Just wait till you get older and realize you are no longer marketable in the work force. Took a while for me to accept that but once I did, I am finally sort of enjoying retirement.

9. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Great write up, thank you for sharing this.

10. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Love that area. Thanks.

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Beautiful area, I worked at Joint Base Lewis McChord for a couple years prior to getting back into motorcycling, got starting in bicycling by riding trails toward Mt. Rainier.
    [​IMG]

12. pperea

pperea New Member

Spain
    Thanks a lot for share a piece of tour life, sweet and sour. Ráfagas and uves from Spain. Keep riding!!!!!

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 mediante Tapatalk

13. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Just wait until you get rid of that crap for a tire OEM rear and get a real tire. It will be like having a new, better VFR.