A word of warning: the VFR1200's rear preload adjuster

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Befbever, May 7, 2011.

1. lshark

lshark New Member

what are the options for the vfr...i know of the ohlins, and DD likes his Penske shock, not familiar with Wilburs...the rear shock is my next and prob final mod to my 1200 (i have the Ohlins fork springs sitting here waiting to be installed)

2. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Checked out your site. Cool. Nothing for the 1200 yet. ;)

We have a guy like that here. Rebuilds your stock suspension. He did my buddy's track Gixxer6.

3. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    I can upgrade the stock VFR1200 suspension. You just don't see many of them around so it's something people think about a lot.

4. lshark

lshark New Member

i'm definitely interested, prob wait till winter...can i assume that the services offered would be similar to what you list for other Hondas

5. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    You bet, exactly. Thanks!

6. lshark

lshark New Member

so, the dealer called me back today and said that i should bring the bike in so the can remove the shock and diagnose the preload adjuster problem. they said Honda told them that this is the first time that they have encountered this situation.......

7. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Typical.

Just what you need in summer huh? Having to miss your bike for something they supposedly never heard of to have it replaced with exactly the same thing so you end up going to Jamie or getting an aftermarket one anyway.

Bean counters...what are ya gonna do...

8. mbd

mbd New Member

I have a two month old Honda VFR1200, 2000 miles, with the exact same problem. I have just received the same response from the local Honda Dealer. Bring it in for removal so we can diagnose the problem. Do you have any update? Thanks.

9. lshark

lshark New Member

i had the tech look at mine while he was swapping the fork springs...it wasn't really frozen, it was past the max click.. he reset it i haven't touched it since....still too soft

10. mbd

mbd New Member

Update. Rear shock replaced. The latest part number for USA models. 52400-MGE-355. No problems so far.

11. Barleymo

Barleymo New Member

Had 2 shocks seize on mine, it does get used in the wet, so have bought a Nitron shock which will be sprung and damped to my spec, should be here next week, time will tell !!

12. Barleymo

Barleymo New Member

Vast improvement, the rear wheel floats over bumps nor, only problem is it shown the front end up now, so thats gone off for a re-valve re-spring :)

13. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I went in for a service last month and had them look at the frozen rear preload adjuster. They cleaned it and said they got it working again. A week or so later I tried to make it stiffer when my daughter was joining me, I could move it with a lot of difficulty but it wouldn't click, only turn.
    I had them look at it yesterday when they were putting on new tires and they say I need a new shock if I want the adjustability. It's well out of warrenty and Honda won't take care of it. All I could do was get a credit for the ineffective cleaning job. I'm pretty pissed, a $1000 for a mediocre stock rear shock that has a known problem of the preload adjuster freazing.
    It's stuck in the stiffest position, which is where I usually have it but I've recently dropped 30lbs and was wanting to make adjustments.
    So all this to say, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and bring the bike to Accelerated Technologies, a friend of a friends shop who specializes in suspension and get both ends done. He's also the guy who does the suspension for team Honda up here the Great, soon to be, White North.
    He feels, like I've heard often on this forum that the difference will be big. Unfortunately, by the time it's done I'll only be able to sit on it and make brummm brummmm noises as I bounce up and down.

14. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    I've had some luck repairing those preload adjusters for customers, but it isn't 100%. For sure I can see your point and I would be frustrated too. Hopefully you get some sort of good resolution.

15. Barleymo

Barleymo New Member

In the uk we have either Maxton or nitron who both make really decent suspension oh and reactive suspension for folks. All better than standard and made to suit weight etc. bite the bullet it's worth it in the end !

16. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    This shop is a dealer for Elka and Ohlins. Doesn't look like Elka has made something for the VFR 12 yet, so it'll have to be a few more shekels for the Ohlins I guess.

17. Barleymo

Barleymo New Member

You won't regret it !

18. HMG124

HMG124 New Member

Its not a permanent fix but I have found that sitting on the bike moving adjuster, standing then moving the adjuster, then sitting again tends to free things up.

19. Barleymo

Barleymo New Member

I don't think its the actual adjuster that's at fault it's the adjuster sleeve that's around the shock that gets road muck/grit in it that causes it to bind and stick. Best cure is to remove shock and get some spray oil on it I wonder if one of those shock socks would work, although the damping would suffer once it got hot.

20. insane1

insane1 New Member

had the first shock fail at 7255 kms and it would seem this ones going the same way .the bikes at 24,500 kms and its hard to adjust hot or cold .now the bike shop botany honda here in nz and honda nz seem to think theres no prob bollocks i have 60 pages of details of shocks seizing worldwide uk,aus,usa,canada ,etc etc .have requested botany honda and honda nz replace it with something half decent that should have been done in the first place and have yet had no reply from anyone.