A word of warning: the VFR1200's rear preload adjuster

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Befbever, May 7, 2011.

1. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    It's disappointing that Honda isn't taking care of this. Honda Canada had told my dealer that there is no shock problem as well.
    The suspension shop I've been talking to say they've had success fixing them.
    Keep us posted, would love to see Honda step up.
    All the best.

2. insane1

insane1 New Member

Well here's hoping somethink gets done soon but I won't hold my breath botany Honda and Honda nz have been to me rather slack in addressing this issue.

3. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    That's crazy....
    Lot's of problems with a such an expensive bike that is supposed to be build really well.

I'm already selling mine....I'm sick of it.

4. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I still love mine, I'm just disappointed with Honda for it's disingenuous politicing in handling both the ECU and preload adjuster.
    I can't think of a bike that fits what I want as much as the VFR 12 but it's not perfect. I've had DG's reflash done, a new seat and I'm looking forward to getting the suspension upgraded and setup by someone that knows what their doing. Although I still need to communicate the necessity of the suspension costs to my wife.
    It's not too big a pill to swallow considering the price I payed for it. It was a demo with low miles. So another 1,500 bucks and a couple nights on the couch........ it'll be the last last $'s I spend on the bike, honest honey!

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Aprilla Futura did make me laugh, sorry. Drove to Brussels though years ago :thumbsup:

6. insane1

insane1 New Member

well guys and girls what do i do in the event that botany honda and honda nz do jack all?.

7. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    My thoughts would be to build the argument with as many cases as you can find then be persistent. Prove to them you're not going away.
    I'd be happy if they went with a subsidized solution, it'd be big bucks to do a recall and I doubt they'll do anymore then the legal department says they have to.
    I'd be curious to know if the problem is as common with bikes that have huggers.

8. insane1

insane1 New Member

had a reply of sorts from botany honda ,this matter has been refered to glen at blue wing honda nz to make the call on what to do.

9. steveb77

steveb77 New Member

Honda have finally got a superceded shock for the VFR1200 with a redesigned Preload adjuster. The part number is 52400 MGE 043.

10. Caloola1

Caloola1 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I guess not a different part no. My 2015 just did the same thing. Taking it in Monday. Apart from that I just love the bike.

11. Caloola1

Caloola1 New Member

Australia
    Map
    My preload adjuster locked up like others in this thread. But,,,,, the knob fell off the shock on the way to the dealer. I found it and saw how and why mine jammed. I'll try and descript the knob.
    1st the outside surface. At the outside end you have the bit you grip to turn the knob, the outside diameter reduces a bit and runs straight the far end. this part has a groove in it which a protruding part from the outside registers into which stops the knob falling off.
    2nd the Inside of the knob has a deep hexagonal hole back into the knob. This slides over a bolt's head and when you turn the adjuster knob it turns the bolt, the deep hex hole allows the bolt to move in out leaving the knob in place. This bolt pushes on a piston which forces oil through the hose into the shocker pushing another piston down onto the main shocker spring.
    3rd The opposite end of the knob to the end you can see and touch when adjusting the preload is flat. This is where the problem happens. This flat surface has 2 small holes in it opposite each other. In each hole is a spring loaded ball. These balls drop into mating holes in the adjuster body and they are the click you hear feel and count as you adjust your preload.
    Now this is why it jammed. One of those balls got out of the hole and jammed between the end of the knob and the adjuster body. Not corrosion at all.
    I know I should have photographed it. If enough ask I could attempt to draw it.

12. Caloola1

Caloola1 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi Insane1 (Love the name)

I had a big problem with a BMW in Australia. (New pistons and rings just out of 2 year factory warrantee. Australian consumer law says that a reasonable time. If your bike is fairly new the law says it has to be fixed. That's it, no ifs or buts.
    Do some research and see what ou consumer law says, I suspect something similar.