Adding a Centerstand to the base model

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by The_Head, Nov 13, 2016.

1. HawkhoundVA

HawkhoundVA Member

United States
    Map
    I recently installed a center stand on my 14. First off the price for the entire kit was $59 from the dealer which was awesome.
    I figured I would just do it myself how hard could it be right. Two bolts and couple springs. Done. Not so much. So before I left they of course asked if I wanted them to install. They quoted me roughly 4 hours at around 100 an hour. No way I said. So i opened the box inventoried item and the parts guy said I printed out the instructions for you. Great. Not so much like stated above. 9 pages. Step by step. Real easy he says. Just take your time.
    It was a few days before I could start the project. once I got it started I quickly realized that I was not going to be able to short cut this. All the side panels and I had to drop the entire exhaust system from the front of the motor back and numerous miscellaneous items. Once everything was installed and put back together all that was left was the two springs which I fought for about an hour and half before I threw in the towel. I just didn't have the leverage to pull the springs back to connect them to the stand. So I ended up back at the dealer to put it on a lift just to get the springs on. Real pain but they were cool with it. Mechanic laughed when I rolled up. Said I knew you would. Be back. Working alone it took me about 5 hours. Big pain was holding and realigning the exhaust. I'm happy with it so if you don't want the trouble and have some extra $ to throw at it have them do it. If you don't mind projects have at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Economist

Economist New Member

United States
    Map
    2 or 3. I ended up paying somewhere around 415 for the initial 500 mile service plus the centerstand and install.

3. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Good gawd you could have bought two Pit Bull stands and had money left over.

4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Did you not use the passenger footpeg?

5. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    On the old 919, the exhaust had to be taken apart, also. The C stand on that bike was kind of a double H design. So what guys did was simply saw a section out of the top "crossbar". It went right on. Is that possible?

Lesson learned for all future Base Model buyers. Make the dealer put it on, no charge before you write the check. That's what I did when I bought the 919, in '04.

Pit Bull Stands are nice. I have 2 of them. I don't trust them 100% unless the motorcycle has spools.

I never take the grab bar or grab strap off a motorcycle. They're just way too handy.

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I use the passenger peg bracket, but it still requires extra effort. If you had a rear flat, bike will be sitting lower and center stand will more horizontal when it contacts the ground requiring much great effort than normal. (Less mechanic advange). Not a normal situation, need to get extra help. I always push down on stand and make sure both feet are squarely on the ground by rocking bike left to right slightly before lifting. At 72, I'm not as strong as I used to be.