Advice on Riding East to Syracuse, NY

Discussion in 'USA - North' started by StealthBoss, Feb 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. StealthBoss

StealthBoss New Member

United States
    Hi Viffers,

I recently set up a buy for a used VFR800 and I thought I would ask Michigan folks to keep me posted on Detroit info like construction areas to avoid, and when weather is good enough to do a 750 mile ride east from Detroit to Syracuse, NY. As it stands I am looking at no earlier than the second week of April for pickup.

Maybe also recommend a lower crime area to rent a hotel room for resting at before the ride back east.

Fyi, If Canadian borders open by the time there is a decent break in the weather, I would consider that path too.

Syracuse is just south of the closest city to me Watertown, NY. If anyone is planning an early ride to Northern NY and Alexandria Bay please chime in if you live near Detroit and maybe we can ride back to NY at the same time.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I was thinking when I read your shipping thread that it would be an idea to ride rather than ship. I don't know if it would be cheaper or not but safer for the bike I would think.

I would not count on the border being open any time soon. I suspect it will remain closed at least until fall if not longer. Canada is not that anxious to open it up just yet. I hope it can open soon though.

3. StealthBoss

StealthBoss New Member

United States
    I would love to do the ride but I have a feeling I will have it paid before I could ride it back in dry weather. Too bad about the border though.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Yes. It is too bad. Reg and I have had to postpone a trip to Alaska twice now. He can't cross from the US to here, and I can't cross into Alaska.

StealthBoss likes this.