After market body work kits

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by TOE CUTTER, Jun 7, 2012.

1. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Looking at a bike that is pretty badly damaged as a project and there are several different companies to buy from. I was hoping that ya'll may know what ones are the best quality. Any input is welcome and I know it is a bad idea but a complete set of body work for this bike is gonna put the cost of repair's way oot of line.

2. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

Any chance you'll let us in on what this 'project bike' might be? :cool:

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    probably a first gen SSSA, with a supercharged 800cc and gen 6 plastics....

Just a guess...

4. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    Cobalt Racing. LMAO, sorry, I couldn't help myself

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    If I put the deal together I will........Need to talk him down a bit.

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Toe, i have some oem cbr 1000 and 600 bodywork laying around that might work. If interested i can go out to the garage and get the model years. I know its like 2006-2009 stuff...just cant remember specifics and i am on the hopper right now taking a shit and am stuck here for a moment.

BZ

7. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I will have some first had experience on this subject in a few weeks. Till then I sit fingers crossed.

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    go to ebay sellers and check their feedback. at least a few people will put up an honest report...

9. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    This is true which is more than you get when you walk through the door of any retail outlet. There seem to be about five ish sellers of product for our bikes and I'm certain that they are all getting their plastic from the same mold, even their pictures of the finished product are strangely similar. However, they do have pretty good feedback. I searched the web for specific feedback on sellers and images of their product after installation and it is hard to find. I think that the majority of buyers don't want to advertise that they got their fairings from long dong province as it may affect other's opinions of them and devalue their bikes. I did find a few comments on the Gixer forums and the Yamaha R1 forums and they were all positive.

I will post up a full report when I get my hands on the product.

10. RHCranked

RHCranked New Member

I picked up a wrecked 2002 vtec in April. All of the body panels needed to be replaced. I got a complete set off ebay from Bliss-Star. You definetly get what you pay for as the quality is no where near OEM, but not too bad. The worst thing about them is the mounting points are welded on. I put some Goop on all mounting tabs, but still manged to break a couple. Fit was a bit off, the headlights don't fit properly and there are some gaps, but all of the holes lined up pretty good. The windscreen that it came with is the worst part. The tabs didn't line up with the body and broke off very easily and the cut lines are not smooth. I also didn't mount the front fender as the holes are different than OEM. The plastic was thicker than I thought it would be and is pretty durable. The paint was also decent, although I noticed on one part swirls from a power sander. In general I am happy with it because it was only $500 including shipping and I don't mind having a 5ft bike, from 5ft away or further, the bike looks great!

11. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Bought an FJR 1300. Body kit ordered. Will let ya'll know how it goes.

12. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map

Ohhh nice, how about a pic or three?

13. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
  14. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    OK guys and gals,

I received my fairing kit last night which came from the motoparts superstore items in ATV Parts QUAD QUADS ATVS 4 WHEELER FOUR WHEELER MINI ATV store on eBay! on E-Bay. The parts originate in China somewhere and ship from Hong Kong. Well I have to say that I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of these part so I could get the bike on the road. When I arrived home last night and saw the box, my heart sunk as it was beat like a red headed step child. So I'm thinking, "oh shit it will all be busted up in there". I had a few other priorities to attend to before I could get around to opening up the box and all the time the anxiety built up and built up. Finally I grabbed the camera and took a few shots of the box before opening the seal to see what I had waited sop long to receive. Well, there was some damage, two scratches and a broken tab but otherwise it was better than expected. But the bigger issue is the quality of the parts themselves! They are rough and the quality of the paint is really really bad. So trying to make a bad situation better I figured that I would at least try a piece on the bike. I mean, what the hell, they are here now right. So I tried to install the tail fairing. The tail light assy fit but I had to trim some crap away from the tabs so the clip nuts would seat properly. It didn't sit quite right and the holes for the side screws had to be drille dout to fit the fasteners. I had to drag the holes so the screws would align with the well nuts and the other fastening points.

At this point I stopped as I'm quite discouraged. I have contacted the seller to attempt a return of the whole mess so we will see how that negotiation proceeds.

I do have pictures but I haven't had a chance to upload them yet. I will try to do it tonight so everyone can see what I'm taking about.

At this point I cannot recommend this option to anyone. You are better off buying scratched OEM parts off e-bay and getting them painted or buying new from Ron Ayers than going this route. On the other hand, if you just want track plastic, this would work fine.

15. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    I crashed my bike (5th gen) 3 seasons ago, got a cheque from the insurance company and decided to buy Nice Cycle plastics and a Mac Mini...instead of OEM. I really like my computer!! The Nice Cylce stuff is pure crap. I turn 50 next year and instead of getting a new bike like I had planned, I'm just going to restore the old gal. Looks like used OEM is the way to go if you're on a budget.

Mind you...if any of you have had some good fortune with aftermarket 5th Gen body work...I'm all ears.

Whoops...did not mean to hijack your thread, Toe!!

16. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    A buddy of mine ordered some off of ebay for his cbr and I helped him put them on. It was a PITA. We had to drill/dremel/alter every single piece to get them on. The quality also left a lot to be desired. Did they look better than the busted ones? I guess, but only at a distance. Just my experience though, so your mileage may vary.

17. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    I just put some snaps in my gallery to illustrate the Nice Cycle look.